This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Nutella Banana Popsicles swirl together the flavors of banana and vanilla with chocolate and hazelnut into deliciously simple frozen yogurt pops that nobody can resist. Only three ingredients and made with Greek yogurt, this super simple dessert recipe is actually a protein-packed treat!
Originally published August 15, 2013. Updated with new pictures and more helpful information.
Nutella Banana Popsicles Recipe
Clearly my foodie nature has had a major influence on my kids. As a toddler, you could often find my oldest son in his “kitchen” where he was “cooking” for his other toys.
And even when he wasn’t playing with his toy pots and pans, little plastic stacking cups became cupcakes, a string of blue plastic beads were blueberries, and we got invisible cakes and ice cream all the time.
So I figured I had to find a way to get him his chocolate fix in a little healthier way. And when you combine that chocolate in the form of Nutella with his favorite fruit, bananas, into one frozen treat, well clearly that was going to be a winner.
These Banana Nutella Frozen Yogurt Pops are sweet and swirled, fun and so simple to make with only three ingredients. And since they are made mainly from Greek yogurt and bananas (ohhh, and just a smidge of Nutella), they are also packed with protein and calcium. Health food, clearly!
Well, maybe I won’t go that far. But as far as frozen desserts, they are definitely not quite as indulgent as, say, Nutella Toffee Ice Cream. Yet they are still just as good at satisfying your sweet tooth.
- Vanilla Greek Yogurt – you can also use plain, but you’ll want to test the sweetness when you mix it with the other ingredients to see if you need to make it sweeter.
- Banana – a nice, ripe one will be naturally sweet and mash up well.
- Nutella – or your favorite chocolate hazelnut spread.
How to make Yogurt Popsicles
It’s really super simple. Just make sure you scroll to the recipe card for the quantities and full set of instructions.
Make the yogurt mixture. Mash the bananas with a fork and stir into the vanilla yogurt until well-mixed. Repeat with the Nutella and Greek yogurt.
Fill and freeze. Fill the popsicle molds with the yogurt mixtures and freeze. Once frozen, run the outside of the mold under cool water and pull on the stick to remove the Banana Nutella Popsicles from the mold.
Then if you like, you can drizzle with Nutella for good measure. Make sure to store the Greek yogurt pops in the freezer until you are ready to eat them!
Tips for Success
To make the swirls
- I put alternating dollops of the banana mixture and Nutella mixture in a plastic storage bag. Then cut off the corner and squeeze it into the molds.
- You can also just alternate putting dollops of each flavor directly into the molds and swirls with a skewer, butter knife, or chopstick.
To unmold the popsicles
First, be sure that the Nutella Banana Yogurt Popsicles are frozen thoroughly and use sturdy popsicle sticks to make them easier to grasp and pull out.
Run your popsicle mold under cool (not cold, not very warm) water to loosen the frozen yogurt pops. If you use water that is too warm, the sides will melt too much and they will be sticky and not unmold cleanly.
If that happens, just pop them pack in the freezer and try again once they have refrozen.
Are frozen yogurt popsicles gluten free?
I am not a medical professional. This information is solely based on my research and personal experience, and I provide it as a courtesy to my readers. Please consult your doctor or medical professional for any questions as it relates to your needs, particularly if you have celiac disease or a severe gluten allergy or intolerance. Products, manufacturing facilities, and ingredients change frequently, so you should always contact the manufacturer for the latest information.
Yes, all of the ingredients in these Nutella Banana Popsicles are gluten free, including the Nutella. If you use another brand of chocolate hazelnut spread, just be sure to confirm it is gluten free.
Occasionally some brands of flavored yogurt will use a gluten-containing ingredient as a thickener, so be sure to check the labels.
Things You’ll Need
I love making popsicles in the Norpro Frozen Ice Pop Maker. This mold is sturdy and comes with a cover to help line up the sticks and to act as a lid if you don’t unmold and eat them all right away. And it has that classic popsicle shape!
Banana Nutella Frozen Yogurt Pops
- 2 cups vanilla Greek yogurt (or four 5.3-6 oz. single-serving containers)
- 1 overripe banana, mashed (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup Nutella or other chocolate hazelnut spread, plus additional for drizzling, if desired
- In a small bowl, combine 2 cups (or two of the containers) of Greek yogurt and the mashed banana, and stir until thoroughly incorporated.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining Greek yogurt and the chocolate hazelnut spread, and stir until thoroughly incorporated.
- Fill popsicle molds or small paper or plastic cups by layering the two yogurt mixtures (swirl with a knife, skewer or chopstick, if desired), or, to create swirls, place alternating large dollops of the yogurt mixtures in a large plastic storage bag, cut off the corner for about a 1/2-3/4 inch opening, and pipe into the molds or cups.
- Insert sticks and place in freezer several hours, until frozen.
- Unmold the popsicles, running the mold under slightly warm water if needed. Drizzle the pops with additional Nutella, if desired.
More Recipes to Try
More Nutella recipes
- Mini Nutella Cheesecake Parfaits
- Nutella Brownie Cheesecake Ice Cream
- Banana Chocolate Chip Cake with Nutella Filling
- Gluten Free Nutella Crumb Cake
- 2-Ingreident Nutella Brownies
More popsicle recipes
- Strawberry Cheesecake Popsicles
- Banana Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Popsicles
- Mango Strawberry Popsicles
- Pineapple Yogurt Popsicles