Shamrock Shake Green Smoothie
Shamrock Shake Green Smoothies allow you to have your St. Patrick’s Day favorite milkshake the healthy way. All of the mint flavor and creamy texture, but none of the guilt! They’re a fun part of a gluten free St. Patrick’s Day menu!
Originally published on March 17, 2012. Photos updated on March 3, 2016.
I have been dying to get myself a Shamrock Shake from McDonald’s. But then I remember that the last time I had one, I wasn’t thrilled. I rarely indulge in a McDonald’s milkshake, but I don’t think they have been the same since they started putting whipped cream and a cherry on top. I mean, this is McDonald’s, not an ice cream parlor, or even a diner. Their food isn’t supposed to come with garnish.
Then I saw someone post the list of what is in a Shamrock Shake. Not that I don’t ever consume those ingredients – I do loves me a McDonald’s Ice Cream Cone, and the ice cream is the main component of the shake. But it wasn’t worth the calories or chemicals for something I don’t really like.
But it is St. Patrick’s Day, and for some reason, I still thought a Shamrock Shake for breakfast was the way to celebrate, since the rest of my plans for the day are decidedly NOT Irish. I’ve seem a lot of versions posted on various blogs this week, but most involved ice cream. So I decided to make one that was breakfast-worthy, but definitely still yummy enough for dessert. And it does not involve any green food coloring. Or added sugar. I think I will be making one for The Bug for snack.
Throw a banana in your freezer in chunks, and it’ll be ready to make this Shamrock shake smoothie for an after dinner treat.
I am not a huge mint person. I regularly think to myself that I wish they made peanut butter-flavored toothpaste. So this is admittedly a little light on the mint. If you like things really minty, go ahead and add more mint extract. And no, you can’t taste the kale, and if you blend it up, you don’t even know it is there, other than the lovely green color it gives the smoothie.
What are you doing for St. Patrick’s Day? Eating or drinking anything green? Or Irish?
For more yumminess from me and my foodie friends, keep up with me on…
Or sign up to have Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered straight to your Inbox!
Enjoy your Shamrock shake green smoothie!
Shamrock Shake Green Smoothie
This St. Patrick's Day Green Smoothie lets you have a Shamrock Shake the healthy way!
- 1 frozen, really ripe banana
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt or cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup baby spinach, kale or other dark, leafy green of your choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon mint extract
- ice cubes - I used 4 regular-sized ones. This was probably about 3/4 cup. Adjust accordingly based on the size of your ice cubes and how icy you want it.
- Optional - you can add a bit of sugar, honey, stevia, etc., if needed, depending on how ripe and sweet your banana is
- Put all ingredients into a blender, and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a glass to serve.
If you love that Shamrock shake smoothie, here are some more minty recipes to try:
- Mint Chocolate Chip Glazed Popcorn
- Chocolate Mint Smoothie
- No-Churn Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cake