World’s Best Lasagna
World’s best lasagna recipe is right here! The quintessential recipe for the ultimate Italian comfort food classic, this homemade lasagna recipe is the traditional dish that includes layers of pasta, hearty meat sauce, creamy ricotta, and gooey mozzarella cheese. You’ll also see an idea for how to take the bolognese and cheese components of this recipe and turn it into a gluten free lasagna recipe.
Homemade Lasagna Recipe
I am not Italian. At all. No little, old Italian grandma’s in the kitchen, cooking up vats of gravy, and brasciole, and manicotti, and whatever else it is that Italian and Italian-American grandmas are stereo-typically making. But I love Italy, and Italian food, though I have to admit that after several trips to Italy, I am a bit spoiled. Italian food here in America just doesn’t quite live up to my expectations anymore.
But for some reason, when I have to make a large amount of something, I often fall back on baked ziti, or stuffed shells, or this amazing lasagna created by John Chandler on Allrecipes (with my changes as I note below).
It’s called the World’s Best Lasagna, and while I can’t verify that the research was actually done to make this claim, it is definitely the best lasagna I’ve ever made.
The sauce is made flavorful, with both beef and sausage, there is the perfect amount of cheese, and it all comes together into the perfect bite of hot, cheesy, meaty, saucy deliciousness.
Since it is so good, I have no need to change the World’s Best Lasagna recipe or make it my own, but I do make a few tweaks:
- I use turkey sausage instead of pork sausage, a little less salt and sugar.
- I use no-boil noodles, because this recipe is enough work as it is. And actually, I think the no-boil noodles absorb some of the excess moisture, creating nice slices.
- Since the recipe is fairly time intensive, I usually make the sauce the day before I plan to assemble the lasagna. I’ve even baked it a couple days later, so this is definitely one you can make ahead of time.
- You can freeze it before or after you’ve baked it, which means it’s a good idea to make two since it’s only a small amount of additional work and then you have one ready and waiting for you in the freezer.
I’ve made it to to a woman in my mom’s group who just had her third baby. I’ve made it for my dad to eat while he was babysitting my big guy when he was just a toddler because they both love it. And it makes so much that The Bug and The Hubby even had it reheated a couple nights later for dinner.
Truthfully, that is when I took these pictures. And it still looks yummy, right?! Since it makes so much (and sadly I cannot eat it – boo hoo!), we even have some individual portions still in our freezer.
Gluten Free World’s Best Lasagna
I’ve honestly never been the biggest pasta eater, so when it comes to gluten free pasta dishes, I prefer to substitute zoodles, like in Sesame Zuccini Noodles, or spaghetti squash as I did in this Baked Spaghetti Squash with Spicy Tomato Cream Sauce.
So for a gluten-free option that’s also low carb, use some of the filling components to make a mini-lasagna, using roasted eggplant slices as noodles. When I make it this way, it’s a bit sloppy, but still tastes awesome. Or you could just use gluten free lasagna noodles or make Eggplant Parmesan Stuffed Eggplant instead.
After you enjoy the world’s best lasagna recipe, here are some more comforting pasta dishes to try…
- Eggplant Parmigiana Pasta Casserole
- Italian Noodle Casserole
- Two-Cheese Butternut Squash Macaroni and Cheese
- Baked Penne with Pumpkin Cream Sauce and Chicken Sausage
Want to chat with fellow foodies? Join my No-Fuss Food and Fun group on Facebook. Everyday we have fun topics, share recipes and ideas, ask and answer questions, and see all of my new Cupcakes & Kale Chips creations! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
For more yumminess from me and my foodie friends, keep up with me on…
Or sign up to have Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered straight to your Inbox!
World’s Best Lasagna Recipe
A slight adaptation of the All Recipes lasagna recipe that is a tried and true all-time favorite lasagna recipe. It’s got the layers of pasta, meaty sauce, creamy ricotta, and gooey mozzarella cheese that you know and love from the traditional lasagna, but there’s just something about this sauce recipe that makes this recipe so amazing. Everyone goes crazy for it!
I hope you’ll leave a comment and give it a FIVE STAR rating or share a photo on this pin on Pinterest!
Just the World's Best Lasagna recipe. The ultimate Italian comfort food with layers of pasta, hearty meat cause, creamy ricotta cheese and gooey mozzarella.
- 1 pound sweet Italian turkey sausage
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- two 6 ounce cans tomato paste
- two 6.5 ounce cans canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 12 lasagna noodles, regular or no cook. I usually use no cook noodles.
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 pound mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3/4 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large Dutch oven, cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until cooked through and browned.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water, and stir everything together.
- Add sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, 1 T salt, pepper, and 2 T parsley, and stir to combine.
- Simmer, covered, for at least 1½ hours, stirring occasionally. I usually try to simmer for as long as possible.
- If using regular lasagna noodles, cook according to package instructions and drain.
- In a bowl, combine ricotta cheese, egg, remaining parsley, and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- To assemble, spread 1½ cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange a single layer of noodles over meat sauce. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese.
- Spoon 1½ cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with ¼ cup Parmesan cheese.
- Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes.
- Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Slightly adapted from this World's Best Lasagna recipe on AllRecipes.