This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
This Easy Vegetarian Minestrone Soup recipe comes together in just about 15 minutes, making it the perfect meal for a busy weeknight. If you’re a meat lover, add some crumbled cooked sausage, ground beef, or even pieces of cooked chicken and you’ll have a hearty main dish that your family will love!
Easy Vegetarian Minestrone Soup
I can’t even imagine the stress that our sweet Brianne must be going through right now. She’s pulling triple duty these days, as a full time mom & wife, blogger, and now interior designer for the house she’s trying to sell. Good gravy, that girl deserves a break! That’s why I’m here. She asked me to stop over and share a recipe with all of you today, and I love her to pieces, so I jumped at the chance to help her out.
So, let the introductions begin… Hi, everyone! I’m Chef Becca from It’s Yummi. Some of you may know me better from my Facebook page name, Cooking with Chef Bec. I graduated from culinary school 3 years ago and it transformed my life in ways I never even dreamed were possible. I never had a kitchen mentor to teach me how to cook and bake when I was growing up, so I went from being a 45 year old woman who prepared spaghetti for dinner every night (because I couldn’t screw up cooking noodles!), eating refrigerated cookie dough for dessert, and eating heat and eat soups to learning how to properly sear a piece of meat to give it crispy skin on the outside and keep it juicy on the inside. I learned how to braise meat for the perfect batch of beef bourguignon, combine ingredients that wouldn’t typically go well together into an amazing pot of bison and black bean chili, and make fluffy buttercream frosting for a batch of blackberry lime cupcakes. Oh, and the most fun I had was learning that it’s easier to make my own version of convenience products. My recipe for homemade Bisquick is the most popular and most pinned recipe to date on my site!
What I learned during those 3 years is that cooking doesn’t have to be difficult. It’s all about having a plan (either notes or a written recipe), a proper mise en place (preparing ingredients ahead of time), and loads and loads of patience and practice.
In addition to the basic principles of cooking and the science of baking, I learned lots of food facts. I learned where our food really comes from, and I learned more about nutrition and eating healthy than I ever thought I would. I try to pass that knowledge on to my readers with little tidbits of information in my posts that I call food facts. I welcome you to make a trip over to It’s Yummi to see my recipes some time. I’d love to help you feed your stomach and feed your spirit, too!
I hope you enjoy this easy vegetarian minestrone soup recipe. Have a yummi day!
Print Easy Vegetarian Minestrone Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large carrot diced small
- 2 stalks celery diced small
- 1 large yellow onion thinly sliced or diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt optional
- 14 ounces kidney beans 1 can
- 14 ounces cannellini beans 1 can
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 28 ounces fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 14 ounces crushed tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon white balsamic vinegar
- 4 ounces dry elbow macaroni
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese optional
- Place oil into a large, heavy bottomed pot over medium high heat.
- Add carrots,celery, and onion to pot and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Turn heat to medium and add garlic. Continue cooking for 2 minutes or until vegetables have softened and are fragrant.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the pot, except for the pasta. Stir to combine, increase heat to medium high and bring to a low boil.
- Add pasta to pot and cook for 7-8 minutes, or until pasta is al dente. If soup appears too thick, add more vegetable stock or water to reach desired consistency.
- Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Serving suggestion: Serve as a lunch or meatless meal with some crusty French bread and a garden salad.