This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
A peanut butter swirl and plenty of muddy buddies (or puppy chow) make this No-Churn Muddy Buddy Ice Cream a decadent dessert you can’t resist. So easy to make, this is the ultimate frozen treat for serious chocolate and peanut butter lovers. Especially those who can’t get enough of their favorite Chex cereal snack mix!
Muddy Buddy Ice Cream with Peanut Butter Swirl
As the chocolate and peanut butter obsessed person that I am, Muddy Buddies are basically my kryptonite. If I make a batch of that Puppy Chow snack mix, it’s all I can do to keep myself from eating every last piece of chocolaty, peanut buttery, sugar-coated piece of Chex cereal.
So naturally, I had to go and combine it with my other favorite dessert – ice cream!
That’s the beauty of the basic no-churn ice cream recipe. Since it starts with simply heavy cream and sweetened condensed milk, it’s a blank slate for adding anything you love. You can make classics like Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream. Or do something a bit more creative (and maybe even a bit over-the-top) like Nutella Brownie Ice Cream.
And this Muddy Buddies Ice Cream, well, it’s loaded with Muddy Buddy goodness. Plus it has a swirl of peanut butter for an extra hit of salty, nutty flavor to balance all of that sweet deliciousness.
Let’s dig in…
- Heavy cream: Make sure it is well chilled.
- Vanilla extract: I always recomend pure extract and not artificial flavoring.
- Sweetened condensed milk: You’ll need one can, and can use regular or fat free.
- Muddy Buddies (aka Puppy Chow): You can make a big batch of classic Muddy Buddies, buy a bag at the grocery store (be careful – while Corn and Rice Chex are gluten free, the pre-made bags of Muddy Buddies Chex Mix may contain wheat ingredients). But in the recipe card at the bottom of the post I’ll also share how to make a mini-batch that you can add right in to the recipe.
- Peanut butter: Use your favorite brand. Either creamy or chunky will work, depending on what you prefer.
If you have some left, try this Muddy Buddy-coated Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball for the ultimate party treat!
How to Make Puppy Chow Ice Cream
This ice cream recipe follows the basic technique for no-churn ice cream. It’s super easy, so let’s go!
Whip the cream: In a chilled bowl, use an electric mixer or whisk to whip the heavy cream and vanilla extract to soft peaks.
Fold in the sweetened condensed milk: Pour the entire can into the bowl, and fold in gently but thoroughly. It’s fine to leave small streaks, but don’t leave thick globs.
Add the mix-ins: Gently fold in the Muddy Buddies, then transfer the mixture to a container that you can freeze. Top the cream mixture with small dollops of peanut butter. Swirl it through with a butter knife or small offset spatula. You can set some Muddy Buddies aside to sprinkle on top if you like.
Freeze the ice cream: Cover with a lid or plastic wrap and freeze for at least 6 hours or until frozen completely. Then scoop and enjoy!
Tips for Success
- You can make the Muddy Buddies in advance. Once cooled, they are good in a plastic storage bag or airtight container for several day.
- If tighly sealed to prevent freezer burn, you can store no-churn ice cream for up to 2 or 3 months in the freezer. But for the best flavor, I do recommen eating it within a week or two.
- Keeping everything cold, including chilling both the heavy cream and the bowl and whisk or beaters. This helps the cream whip up quickly and easily to avoid overbeating.
- You can save a step amd add the peanut butter with the Muddy Buddies and fold it in together, but sometimes it is hard to swirl it that way. So I find it easier to add little dollops after you transfer it to the freezer container then swirl it in with a butter knife.
Variations on Muddy Buddy Ice Cream
There are so many versions of Puppy Chow snack mix out there now, that you can make all different versions of this Muddy Buddy Ice Cream. Try some of these…
- Key Lime Pie Muddy Buddies with a swirl of Marshmallow Sauce.
- Almond Joy Muddy Buddies with a swirl of almond butter or Fudge Sauce.
- Chai White Chocolate Muddy Buddies with a swirl of caramel.
Things You’ll Need
- A simple hand mixer with a whisk attachment makes it quick and easy to whip your cream, though a whisk works too. No need to break out the big Kitchenaid mixer for this recipe.
- I always like to use a metal bowl because I can pop it in the freezer to get it nice and cold.
- A large spatula is great for folding in the sweetened condensed milk, and a small one is perfect to swirl the peanut butter.
- I find these no-churn ice cream recipes always fit nicely into a 9 inch loaf pan.
No-Churn Muddy Buddy Ice Cream
For the ice cream:
- 1 pint heavy cream, well chilled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 14.5 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk, regular or fat free
- 1-1 1/2 cups Muddy Buddies, from a larger batch, bag, or make the mini-batch below
- 1/2 cup peanut butter, creamy or chunky
For the small batch of Muddy Buddies:
- 1 cups Chex cereal, any variety, but use Corn or Rice for gluten free
- 2 Tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 Tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
For the ice cream:
- Place a large glass or metal bowl in the refrigerator or freezer for at least 10 minutes for whipping the cream.
- Add the heavy cream and vanilla extract to the chilled bowl. Using an electric mixer or whisk, beat the heavy cream to soft peaks.
- Pour in the sweetened condensed milk and gently fold until you no longer see ribbons of the sweetened condensed milk and it is evenly distributed.
- Add the Muddy Buddies, reserving some to sprinkle on top, if you like, and gently fold in. Transfer to a container that you can freeze.
- Top the cream mixture with small dollops of peanut butter and swirl through with a butter knife or small metal offset spatula. If you set aside some Muddy Buddies, sprinkle them on top.
- Cover with a lid or plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 4-6 hours or until frozen completely.
- Scoop and enjoy.
For the small batch of Muddy Buddies:
- Place the Chex cereal in a medium bowl.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, combine the chocolate chips, butter, and peanut butter. Microwave for 30 seconds, stir, then, if needed, microwave in 15 second intervals, stirring after each until fully melted and smooth. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the cereal and stir until coated.
- Transfer the cereal mixture to a plastic storage bag and pour in the powdered sugar. Seal the bag and shake until coated.
- Spread on wax paper to cool completely. Store in a plastic storage bag or airtight container until needed.
More No-Churn Ice Cream Recipes
No-churn ice cream is the easiest way to make homemade (okay, semi-homemade) ice cream, and I love creating new recipes. Here are more to try…