This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Easy Funfetti Birthday Cake Ice Cream Cake is a kid-favorite no-bake dessert made with a simple cake batter-flavored no-churn ice cream recipe and loaded with rainbow sprinkles. But no box cake mix is needed, so this homemade ice cream cake is also gluten free!
Originally published on May 10, 2016
As you get older, you learn things about yourself. Or you discover things you already kind of knew, but then come to accept. I always envisioned that I’d be the kind of mom to throw fabulous themed birthday parties for my kids every year. We’d have creative games and homemade party favors and all kinds of cute decorations. For a few years, I made a valiant attempt.
The Bug had a bug-themed first birthday. I made centerpieces that looked like flowers with different pictures of him in the middle. There was bug confetti and hand-painted chocolate lollipops. Bug cupcakes with fondant wings, eyes, and stingers graced the table.
His third birthday was all about Jake and the Neverland Pirates, with treasure map wraps for lunch, buried treasure (i.e. M&M-stuffed) cupcakes, a treasure hunt, and gold doubloons.
But then I realized I am way more of an Amazon Prime mom than a Pinterest mom.
For his sixth birthday, I gave in and decided to have the party at a place where they would set up, clean up, order the pizzas, and run all the activities for the kids.
It was the most brilliant thing I’ve ever done! I did hardly any work and got to smile, laugh, and watch him enjoy having a blast with his friends. Then I got to come home and have a glass of wine while the boys relaxed and watched TV after all the excitement.
Worth every penny. Additionally, it gave me time to make a Funfetti Ice Cream Cake recipe for our family celebration. You see, I love him enough to outsource his birthday party so I can make a homemade ice cream cake.
Gluten Free Cake Batter Ice Cream Cake
Most homemade cake batter ice cream recipes call for cake mix. But those of us with celiac disease or that doesn’t work so well.
While you can get a gluten free cake mix, they tend to be a bit more gritty than regular cake mix, which is not the texture you want in ice cream. Plus, they are more expensive, and then you have an open package of cake mix that doesn’t have the right amount to even bake a cake.
Plus, no-churn ice cream already tends to be fairly sweet already. So there really isn’t the need to add the additional sugar from a cake mix.
What is in birthday cake ice cream?
- No-churn ice cream base of heavy cream and sweetened condensed milk
- Melted butter
- Vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- Rainbow sprinkles to make it funfetti ice cream!
- Chocolate frosting made with chocolate chips and butter
Is the Cake Batter Ice Cream Cake recipe gluten-free?
Yes, it is! Even though it does not contain cake mix, it contains the ingredients that add the characteristic buttery vanilla flavor to funfetti cake batter!
Are there eggs in cake batter ice cream cake? How about nuts and peanuts?
No, so this is the perfect birthday cake for someone with an egg allergy. And as long as you ensure your ingredients, particularly the rainbow sprinkles, are made at an allergy-safe facility, it’s also a great option for someone with a nut or peanut allergy.
How do you make birthday cake ice cream cake?
- Combine the heavy cream, vanilla, and salt in a chilled bowl
- Whip the cream to stiff peaks.
Pour the sweetened condensed milk and cooled melted butter into the whipped cream.
Fold into the whipped cream.
Add the rainbow sprinkles and fold in gently.
Spread the ice cream evenly in a springform pan lined with plastic wrap.
Freeze for several hours.
Frost the cake and return to the freezer.
Can you use regular frosting on an ice cream cake?
You can use any store bought or homemade frosting you like. However, once frozen, it does get a little hard and difficult to cut.
I typically use a lightly sweetened whipped cream, similar to what I put on my gluten free strawberries and cream cake. It has a similar texture to the cake, though a bit lighter, so it can still be cut well with the ice cream cake. For a chocolate whipped cream, you can just add a tablespoon or two of cocoa powder.
In this case, I went with this Two-Ingredient Easy Chocolate Buttercream Frosting from Cookies and Cups. It’s so easy and super chocolaty. It adds to the homemade cake and frosting flavor, without being an actual cake. Perfection!
What kind of pan do you use to make ice cream cake?
I like to use a leak-proof springform pan. Since you line the pan with plastic wrap, leaking isn’t really an issue. But these have a raised bottom, making it easier to slide the cake onto a serving plate when you want to frost it. An 8-inch springform pan is ideal, but these are harder to find in the leakproof version. So you can use a 7-inch or 9-inch, but you will end up with a taller or shorter cake than pictured here.
For more yumminess from me and my foodie friends, keep up with me on…
Or sign up to have Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered straight to your Inbox!
More no-churn ice cream cake recipes:
- No-Churn Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cake
- Peanut Butter Cup No-Churn Ice Cream Cake
- Easy Homemade Ice Cream Cake Recipe
- Nutella Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cake Cheesecake
- Peanut Butter Brownie Ice Cream Cake from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Waffle Cone Sundae Ice Cream Cake from A Dash of Sanity
- Trix Ice Cream Cake from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Or buy one at the store and have an Ice Cream Cake Sundae Party
More rainbow desserts:
- Gluten Free M&M Magic Bars
- Funfetti White Chocolate Dipped Strawberries
- Sparkling Rainbow Sherbet Floats
- Rainbow Jello Parfaits
- Plus 15 More Rainbow Dessert Recipes
No-Churn Funfetti Birthday Cake Ice Cream Cake Recipe
This frozen dessert tastes like cake batter ice cream, but it’s not made with a boxed cake mix or an ice cream maker. This no-churn ice cream cake just shouts, “Happy birthday!”. Slice through the thick chocolate frosting and reveal the rainbow sprinkles to have some seriously happy kids. They will be even happier when they take their first bite and taste that cake-flavored ice cream!
I hope you’ll leave a comment and give the recipe a FIVE STAR rating. And share a photo of it on this pin, over on Pinterest!
Easy No-Churn Funfetti Birthday Cake Ice Cream Cake
For the ice cream cake:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, well chilled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles
For the frosting:
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened but still cool
For the ice cream cake:
- Place a large bowl and beaters or whisk attachment into the freezer to chill for about 10 minutes.
- Line an 8- or 9-inch springform pan with plastic wrap (if you use the 9-inch, the cake will not be as tall).
- Combine the heavy cream, vanilla, and salt in the chilled bowl, and using the whisk attachment of a stand mixer or hand mixer, whip the cream to stiff peaks.
- Carefully pour the sweetened condensed milk and melted butter into the bowl, then gently fold into the whipped cream. Then quickly and gently fold in the sprinkles.
- Spread the ice cream evenly in the prepared pan and freeze for several hours, or until firm.
- After cake has been in the freezer for at least 2 hours, prepare the chocolate frosting.
For the frosting:
- In a heatproof mixing bowl set over a simmering pot of water, melt the butter and chocolate chips, stirring frequently until smooth.
- Remove from the heat, cool slightly, and then place the bowl in the refrigerator until solid, about 20 minutes.
- Remove bowl from refrigerator and allow to come up to room temperature.
- Using a hand mixer, beat on medium until light and fluffy.
- Remove cake from the freezer; quickly unmold and place on a serving plate. Frost evenly with the chocolate frosting. Decorate with additional sprinkles, if desired.
- Return to freezer to firm up the frosting until ready to serve.