Gluten Free Chocolate Pumpkin Spice Bundt Cake Recipe
Gluten free chocolate pumpkin cake is a rich gluten-free bundt cake recipe with the perfect amount of pumpkin spice and plenty of chocolate chips. Pour a cup of coffee or tea and grab a slice to share with a beloved friend or your entire family. It’s moist, chocolaty, and decadent while at the same time being one of the best gluten-free pumpkin recipes ever!
Originally published Sep 29, 2016.
This is one of those posts I just don’t know how to start. Partially because I don’t want to. It’s something I don’t actually want to write because I wish it weren’t true. Last Saturday was my friend Joan’s fiftieth birthday. Only instead of celebrating this milestone in her life, my blogger friends and I are coming together once again in her memory.
Joan was the shining light and force to be reckoned with behind the blog Chocolate, Chocolate and More. And if there was anything as big as her love for chocolate, it was her personality, passion, and love. Sadly, her light went out far too soon, when she passed away from a heart attack suddenly last fall, leaving behind three teenagers.
After she passed, I shared this collection of some of her most amazing Chocolate Recipes.
The food blogging community still has a hole in it without her. Someone is always saying, “Oh, I learned that from Joan.” or “Joan told me about this.” or “Remember when Joan…” or “That’s something Joan would have said.” That was the lasting impression made by a woman who has left a legacy built on desserts as sweet as she was.
Joan, you will forever live in our hearts. I wish we could be sitting together enjoying a slice or three of this…
Joan’s Chocolate Pumpkin Spice Cake
As I went through Joan’s recipes to decide which to make, I knew I could just share one of her candy recipes which are mostly gluten free already. But I wanted to bring her chocolaty baking awesomeness to my gluten free friends. Since it is fall and time for all the pumpkin everything, so I knew I had to make her Chocolate Pumpkin Spice Cake.
So this epic chocolaty gluten free dessert is based on Joan’s recipe. It is the ultimate pairing of fall’s favorite flavor and total chocolate indulgence. The slightly sweet and earthy flavor of pumpkin with by the warm spices of autumn just seems to go so perfectly with chocolate. And when loaded with chocolate chips for extra little bursts of chocolate, this is a bundt cake recipe worthy of a special celebration. It’s moist and decadent. Just try to stop at one piece.
How do you make a gluten free chocolate pumpkin cake?
As I was looking for some guidance on how to convert the all purpose flour to gluten free, I’d been checking out The Weeknight Dinner Cookbook from my friend Mary of Barefeet in the Kitchen. I had made the gluten free version of her Chocolate Chip Pound Cake, and I had a feeling the texture would translate well to this bundt cake. So I pulled out the recipe, my pencil, a piece of paper, and my chemical engineering brain that still likes to do unit conversions.
It turned out perfectly! And as I was looking again at Mary’s recipe, I noticed her note in the cookbook that she was dedicating her pound cake recipe to sweet Joan. It was just meant to be. And by the way, if you want a pumpkin bundt cake without the chocolate, check out Mary’s Pumpkin Bundt Cake with options to use all-purpose or gluten free flour.
So here is what you need:
- Brown rice flour + tapioca starch + potato starch (or follow Joan’s original recipe with wheat all-purpose flour if you don’t need a gluten free cake)
- Xanthan gum
- Cocoa powder
- Baking soda
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Unsalted butter – at room temperature
- Light brown sugar
- Pumpkin puree – NOT pumpkin pie filling
- Chocolate chips
Of course, you’ll also need a Bundt pan. I have noticed that gluten free Bundt cakes do have a tendency to stick a bit more. And gluten free flour is not always as effective when you simple grease and flour the pan. So here is my…
PRO TIP FOR GREASING THE BUNDT PAN: Make a paste by mixing together one tablespoon of vegetable shortening and one tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder. Use this to thoroughly grease the Bundt pan by working it into every crevice. You can use a pastry brush or just a paper towel to really spread a nice layer.
How to make chocolate chip pumpkin spice cake:
This is a brief overview. Keep scrolling for the recipe card with detailed instructions.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease the pan. See my tip above.
- Sift together the dry ingredients and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together at a high speed with a hand mixer or stand mixer.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, followed by the pumpkin.
- Reduce speed to low and gradually beat in dry ingredients.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour into Bundt pan and bake for 40-50 minutes.
- Cool completely before removing the cake from the pan.
How do you serve gluten free chocolate pumpkin spice cake?
- It is so moist and rich that a simple dusting of powdered sugar is all it needs.
- You can always cover it in frosting, such as the White Chocolate Buttercream Joan recommended.
- Or a rich chocolate ganache. In fact, I want to try it with Nutella ganache, like I put on this Pumpkin Cheesecake Flourless Chocolate Cake Roll.
- Have a scoop of No-Churn Cheesecake Ice Cream.
- Of course on a cold day a cup of hot tea or coffee or
- Pumpkin Spice White Hot Chocolate from Lauren Kelly Nutrition would be nice. But if you prefer, try a Blended Iced Coffee.
For more yumminess from me and my foodie friends, keep up with me on…
Or sign up to have Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered straight to your Inbox!
More gluten free cake recipes:
- Gluten Free Whipped Cream Cake with Strawberries
- Mini Gluten Free Pineapple Upside Down Cakes
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Coffee Cake
- Flourless Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake Roll
- Gluten Free Apple Cider Donut Cake
- Gluten Free Yellow Cake with Chocolate Frosting
If you like this, you’ll love these gluten free chocolate and pumpkin recipes:
- Mini Brownie Pumpkin Cheesecake Mousse Parfaits
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Hummus
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Energy Balls
- Nutella Swirl No-Churn Pumpkin Ice Cream
Gluten Free Chocolate Pumpkin Spice Cake Recipe
I hope you’ll leave a comment and give it a FIVE STAR rating or share a photo on this pin on Pinterest!
Gluten Free Chocolate Pumpkin Spice Cake
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1/3 cup potato starch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder plus extra for coating the pan
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Powdered sugar, frosting, whipped cream, or chocolate ganache, if desired.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a bundt pan, or mix together one tablespoon of shortening and one tablespoon of cocoa powder and grease the pan thoroughly with this mixture.
- In a bowl, sift together the brown rice flour, tapioca starch, potato starch, xanthan gum, cocoa powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the butter and brown sugar and cream at high speed until light and fluffy.
- Reduce speed to medium and add the eggs one at a time, beating between each addition, and then beat in the pumpkin.
- Set at low speed, and slowly add flour mixture to butter mixture just until combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into prepared bundt pan and spread evenly on the top.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean. Let cake cool completely in the pan before inverting to remove from the pan.
- Once cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar or cover with frosting, whipped cream, or chocolate ganache if desired.