This week, #SundaySupper is Squashing Winter with recipes featuring all of our favorite winter squash. I suppose I could have gone out of the box with kabocha or canary hubbard or delicate, but I chose to stay with a basic that is one of my favorites and then to reinvent a tried and try recipe that is also one of my favorite, hopefully bringing new life to both staples with this Butternut Squash Gratin with Sage Pesto & Gorgonzola.
I told you a little while ago about how I have a million cookbooks and never cook anything out of them. Well guess what – this recipe is from a cookbook! Or the original version is from a cookbook, but naturally I had to change it up a bit. I have made the Butternut Squash Gratin with Pesto from Giada’s Family Dinners many times, and I LOVE it. Honestly, I am not sure what possessed me to make it. In my opinion, the combination of flavors sounds totally bizarre – basil pesto and parmesan with butternut squash?! Weird! But it works ridiculously well.
So naturally I had to go and make it completely different…
Sage is the herb that most evokes the essence of autumn and winter for me, and it pairs so perfectly with butternut squash, with it earthy herbaceous flavor as a perfect counterpoint to the natural sweetness of the squash. Then you get the pungent bite of gorgonzola. I love Giada’s original version, but I may love this one more! The Hubby loved it, too, and The Bug devoured it both the night I first made it, and a couple nights later when we polished off the leftovers!
The chill is definitely in the air now, just the season for all of these lovely winter squash, but we actually enjoyed Butternut Squash Gratin with Sage Pesto & Gorgonzola on one of the warmer days we’ve had in the past few weeks, so I sent The Hubby outside to grill some flank steak. However, this would also be a lovely side dish to a roast chicken, slow cooked pork tenderloin, or maybe even if you are looking to modernize your Thanksgiving menu.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
And make sure you check out the entire menu for Squashing Winter at the bottom of this post!
What is your favorite winter squash?
Butternut Squash Gratin with Sage Pesto & Gorgonzola
Smooth, creamy butternut squash puree layered with sage pesto and gorgonzola is the perfect bold and unique combination of fall and winter flavors.
For the gratin
- one (3 pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into large chunks
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1/4 c sage pesto
- 1 c (4 oz) crumbled gorgonzola cheese
For the sage pesto (makes about 1/2 c)
- 1 c packed fresh sage leaves
- 2 T chopped walnuts
- 1/4 t kosher salt
- 1/8 t pepper
- 1/3 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 c parmesan cheese
For the gratin:
- Preheat oven to 350°F, and coat an 8-inch baking dish with olive oil or cooking spray.
- In a large pot with a steamer insert, bring a couple of inches of water to a boil, add the squash to the steamer rack, and steam about 20 minutes, until very tender.
- Transfer squash to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread half of the squash in the prepared dish. Top with half of the pesto, dropped in small dollops then carefully spread over the squash. Sprinkle half of the cheese over the pesto.
- Repeat the layers.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, or until heated through and browning around the edges.
For the sage pesto (makes about ½ c):
- In a blender of food processor, combine all of the ingredients except the cheese and puree until smooth.
- Stir in the cheese, and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
Do you love butternut squash as much as I do? Then check out these recipes…
- Soul-Warming Butternut Squash Soup with Sage & Thyme
- Roasted Butternut Squash & Pomegranate Quinoa
- Browned Butter Whipped Butternut Squash
Plus an entire menu of Winter Squash goodness from the #SundaySupper team:
Breakfasts and Breads
- Maple Butternut Squash Donuts from Mess Makes Food
- Pumpkin Sweet Rolls from Basic N Delicious
- Vegan Pumpkin Scones with Maple Nutmeg Icing from Killer Bunnies, Inc
Appetizers, Starters, and Condiments
- Butternut Squash and Couscous Patties-Indian Inspired from Soni’s Food
- Pumpkin Hummus with Spiced Lamb from girlichef
- Quick Pumpkin Butter from Shockingly Delicious
Soups, Sandwiches, and Salads
- Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili from Supper for a Steal
- Black Bean Pumpkin Soup from What Smells So Good?
- Butternut Squash and Bacon Grilled Cheese from Ruffles & Truffles
- Butternut Squash Soup from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Hearty Quinoa Chicken Stew with Butternut Squash from Citronlimette
- Roasted Buttercup Squash and Black Bean Soup (Dairy free) from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Vegetable Soup from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Roasted Squash and Mexican Black Bean Salad from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Roasted Squash and Sesame Noodle Salad from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Butternut Squash and Spinach Quesadillas from The Dinner-Mom
- Butternut Squash Gnocchi with Balsamic Brown Butter from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Butternut Squash Lasagna from Hip Foodie Mom
- Butternut Squash-Sage Cream Sauce with Sausage Spaghetti from Daily Dish Recipes
- Carnival Squash with Maple Sausage Stuffing from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chorizo-Stuffed Acorn Squash from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Butternut Squash with Spicy Wild Rice and Queso Fresco from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Pumpkin Alfredo from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pumpkin Enchiladas from La Cocina de Leslie
- Pumpkin Risotto with Bacon, Goat Cheese, and Pecans from The Weekend Gourmet
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprout Pizza from Curious Cuisiniere
- Sausage and Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash from The Messy Baker
- Spaghetti Squash in a Creamy Sausage Sauce from Cookin’ Mimi
- Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Scampi from Pescetarian Journal
- Acorn Squash with Cinnamon and Cranberries from Noshing With The Nolands
- Butternut Squash and Apple Crumble from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Butternut Squash Gratin with Sage Pesto & Gorgonzola from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chorizo and Craisin Stuffed Acorn Squash from Family Foodie
- Parmesan-Roasted Acorn Squash from The Urban Mrs
- Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese from Big Bear’s Wife
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Balsamic Vinegar Honey Butter from Food Lust People Love
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Wilted Kale, Mushrooms and Garlic from Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Skillet Buttercup Squash with Bacon from Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Squash and Apples from Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Sweet N Spicy Baked Chipotle Butternut Squash Fries from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Twice Baked Pumpkin Stuffed Sweet Potatoes from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Butternut Squash Cupcakes with Browned Butter Frosting from Treats & Trinkets
- Pumpkin Pie Crumb Bars from Pies and Plots
Wine Pairing Recommendations for Squashin’ Winter #SundaySupper from Enofylz Wine Blog