This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
If you are looking for a new dip for your veggies or fries or a sauce to drizzle on meat and seafood, look no further than this easy homemade Bang Bang Sauce. You may be familiar with the Bang Bang Shrimp appetizer at Bonefish Grill. Now you can make that creamy, sweet, and spicy sauce at home to use on everything.
Irresistible Bang Bang Sauce
Originally, “Bang Bang” was associated with a traditional Chinese chicken dish where the chicken would be tenderized by banging it with a stick. But this is not what most of us here in the United States are familiar with.
Though available at many restaurants, Bang Bang Shrimp originated at the Bonefish Grill restaurant chain. According to their website, it started out as a special but was so beloved that it earned a permanent place on the menu. It consists of crispy fried shrimp tossed in a creamy sauce with the perfect blend of sweet heat.
But we all know it’s all about that sauce. So why limit it to just shrimp? Make it at home so you can use it on everything. It has only 5 simple ingredients and you can stir it together in just minutes!
What is Bang Bang Sauce?
In its most basic form, the Bang Bang Sauce used to coat the fried shrimp is made from mayonnaise, Thai Sweet Chili Sauce, and sriracha sauce. This combination makes it creamy and sweet with a nice kick of spice.
Do not confuse it with Boom Boom Sauce and Yum Yum Sauce. There are several different sauces each referred to as Boom Boom Sauce. But the most common one is similar to Bang Bang Sauce, with the notable addition of ketchup and mustard. Yum Yum Sauce leaves out the spice, and is more sweet and tangy. It is actually a condiment often served at Japanese steakhouses.
Why is this recipe better?
Unlike other recipes, this one is made with Greek yogurt, with just a touch of mayonnaise to give it that rich consistency. That means it is a healthier copycat because it has more protein, calcium, and all that good bacteria. And since you can choose what yogurt you use, you have control over how much you want to lighten up your Bang Bang Sauce.
- Plain Greek Yogurt. Depending on your preference, nonfat, low fat, or whole milk yogurt all work.
- Mayonnaise. Just a little gives it that richness even if you use lighter yogurt. Feel free to substitute with more yogurt if you prefer.
- Sweet Chili Sauce. You’ll find this with the Thai ingredients in the Asian section of your local grocery store. This is more of a sweet sauce with some spice, versus a spicy chili pepper sauce like sambal oelek.
- Rice Vinegar. Most are, but sometimes seasoned rice vinegar can have hidden gluten. So be sure to check this.
- Sriracha Sauce. I recommend this for the heat, but you can also substitute your favorite hot sauce. Adjust the level of spice by adding more or less.
How to Make Bang Bang Sauce
It really doesn’t get any easier. All you have to do is add all of the ingredients to a bowl and stir them together until it is smooth and uniform.
How Do I Use It?
The flavor of Bang Bang Sauce pairs well with so many things. Of course, you can use it on Bang Bang Shrimp. That recipe is gluten free so that you can try the dish that you aren’t able to order at the restaurant. Or make the vegetarian version, Bang Bang Cauliflower. But that’s just the beginning.
- Asian Appetizers. Of course, it’ll be good with Shrimp Rice Paper Rolls or for dipping Chicken Satay.
- Air Fried or Fried Foods: Chicken Nuggets, Air Fryer Cauliflower, or Onion Rings will be even better after a dunk.
- Meat and Seafood. Try it drizzled on Maple Sesame Salmon or even on Gluten Free Beef Stir Fry.
- Fries and Tots. Use it as a dip for Air Fryer French Fries and classic or Zucchini Tots.
- Roasted Veggies. Spoon it over whatever you love, whether it’s Oven Roasted Asparagus or Air Fryer Roasted Carrots.
- Grilled Dishes. It’s amazing on grilled fish, steak, chicken, or as a burger sauce for Thai-Style Sliders.
Tips for Success
Get the right chili sauce. Thai Sweet Chili Sauce is thick and sweet. If you use a chili paste or sauce that doesn’t have this sweetness, it will be super spicy.
Make it the classic way. That means using all mayonnaise instead of Greek yogurt. It’s definitely a richer condiment this way.
Make it vegan. You can make it with vegan mayo or coconut yogurt.
Storing Extras for Later
If you make it with yogurt, it will be good for 3 or 4 days in a covered container in the refrigerator. If you use all mayo, it will last in the fridge for up to a week to 10 days.
More easy dips and sauces
Sauces can take simple dishes to something spectacular. Try some of these to add international flavors to your dinner menu!
Healthy Bang Bang Sauce
- Combine the Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, chili sauce, rice vinegar, and sriracha sauce in a bowl. Stir until smooth and creamy, and set aside.