#SundaySupper knows that you can make any kind of meal, from a fast weeknight dinner, a fancy meal, or even breakfast or dessert in your slow cooker, so today we’ve got nearly forty new recipes for you, including my simple and fresh but flavorful and comforting Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Pulled Chicken.
Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Pulled Chicken
I thought today was a good time for a little update. Awhile back, I showed you how I “roast” an entire chicken in my crockpot, and at the same time I told you about the garden that The Bug wanted to plant. With my history of, well, killing plants, I was fearful things would not turn out well, even though I was not the one responsible for the plants.
I was totally wrong.
Our three tomato plants, each in their own giant pot, went craaaaaaayyyyzy! It was like a tomato plant jungle. As in, I think I could have love my kids in them. Three plants, people, three plants, one of which we thought wasn’t going to survive past the first week. Well, the beefsteaks weren’t so prolific. I mean, the plants were, but we had a relatively mild summer, and without those hot, humid nights, we had quite a number of green ‘maters that never turned red. And sadly I’m not much of a fried green tomato gal. But the ones that did ripen were amazing.
Then we had cherry tomatoes and little pear shaped ones. These plants grew so tall with so many branched fill with so many tomatoes that The Hubby pretty much had to rig up scaffolding using a couple of tomato cages, a few stakes we had around, and twist ties. Day after day I could fill larger and larger bowls. I was putting them on salads, King Stuff was shoveling fistfuls into his mouth, I roasted big batches with oregano, basil, onion, red wine, and balsamic vinegar, then blended it down to make sauce, of which I still have containers in my freezer. And this was just tons and tons of wee little tomatoes from two plants! I have to be honest, I’m glad we didn’t plant anymore.
Total tomato success! Now if only I could get The Bug to eat them. Despite seeding us with the idea to grow tomatoes and taking part in the planting, watering, and picking, he Bug still won’t eat a tomato. Oh well, his loss.
One day when I pulled another big bowl of those tomatoes off of the bushes and snipped some basil, I made this…
Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Pulled Chicken was a fabulous way to use up some of these tomatoes (as well as the basil from our Aerogarden, which also grew a ton). Stewing the chicken in balsamic vinegar infused it with moisture and sweet, pungent flavor, then the addition of the tomatoes plus a sprinkling of basil just before serving brought a freshness and lightness to this comforting meal. The, just for a little more punch, I drizzled it with some syrupy reduced balsamic at the end. We enjoyed it over some polenta, but it would be equally tasty over pasta or rice.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
How did your garden do this summer?
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3-3½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or finely minced
- ¾ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, left whole
- ¼ cup basil leaves, cut into chiffonade (fine ribbons)
- Homemade or storebought balsamic reduction, if desired.
- Coat the bottom of your slow cooker with oil. Add the chicken, salt, pepper, garlic, balsamic vinegar, and tomatoes.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until chicken is cooked through and falls apart easily.
- Gently shred the chicken with two forks, add the basil, and toss together to gently combine the chicken, tomatoes, juices and basil.
- Serve over pasta, polenta, or rice, or alongside roasted vegetables and drizzle with balsamic reduction, if desired.
I love making chicken in my slow cooker…
- Slow Cooker Lemon Herb Roast Chicken
- Lightened Up Slow Cooker Indian Butter Chicken
- Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken & Black Beans
And here is the rest of today’s slow cooked #SundaySupper menu…
- Crockpot Kielbasa Split Pea Soup from The Foodie Army Wife
- Amazing Slow Cooker French Onion Soup from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Crock Pot Turkey Meatball Soup from Flour On My Face
- Kale & Kielbasa Soup Slow Cooker Lime Garlic Chicken from The Messy Baker
- Slow Cooker Chicken, Spinach and White Bean Soup from Amee’s Savory Dish
- Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup from Noshing With The Nolands
- Spicy Ham and 10-Bean Soup from Food Lust People Love
- Crockpot Caramelized Pork Noodle Soup from Brunch with Joy
- Slow Cooker Acorn Squash and Apple Soup from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Three Bean, Butternut, and Quinoa Vegetarian Chili from Ruffles & Truffles
- Potato, Kielbasa and Spinach Soup With Gouda from Meal Planning Magic
- Slow Cooker Chunky Chicken Tortilla Soup #GlutenFree from Sue’ s Nutrition Buzz
Scrumptious Mains (Breakfast and Dinner)
- Slow Cooked Apple Pie Oatmeal from Life Tastes Good
- Pork and Cabbage Stew from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Slow Cooker Lime Garlic Chicken from Peaceful Cooking
- Slow-Cooked Country Pork and Veggies from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Buffalo Chicken Sliders from Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef from Marlene Baird
- Madras Beef Curry with Vegetables from Curious Cuisiniere
- Crock Pot Pork Chops with Apples and Figs from Cooking On The Ranch
- Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Crockpot Sesame Chicken from Casa de Crews
- Pork Chops in Gravy with Potatoes from Cookin’ Mimi
- Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Pulled Chicken from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Slow Cooker Spicy Peach Pulled Pork from Family Foodie
- Slow Cooker Garlic Chicken with Artichokes from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Scalloped Potatoes from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions from The Dinner-Mom
- Slow Cooker Brownie Dessert from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Triple Chocolate Cake from MealDIva
- Slow Cooker Rice Pudding from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Slow-Cooker Kheer (Indian Rice Pudding) from Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Lemon Poppy Seed Cake from NinjaBaking