#SundaySupper and Dixie Crystals Sugar are celebrating the arrival of warmer, sunnier days with a wonderful collection of Springtime Sweets. And speaking of warmth and sun (and food and desserts!) we are also announcing your chance to win a ticket to the Food & Wine Conference, plus a whole lot more! Would you like moist, tender carrot cake studded with walnuts and raisins, topped with a creamy and tangy Greek yogurt cream cheese topping that makes just enough to share… but only if you want to! Then you’ll love these Gluten-Free Deep Dish Carrot Cakes for Two.
Gluten-Free Deep Dish Carrot Cakes for Two
I think we all have certain flavors and sweet treats that we love to eat at different times of the year. In the summer, desserts often center around berries and peaches, and autumn makes us crave apples and pumpkin and warm spices. Christmastime brings visions of peppermint and eggnog, while red velvet just says Valentine’s Day, and St. Patrick’s Day is often equated with Irish cream-infused sweets. Then when spring arrives, it’s lemon and strawberries.
And for me… carrot cake! I’ve been dying to make a gluten free carrot cake. One problem. Well, two, actually.
The first is that carrot cake isn’t the most popular flavor in my house, but I am not sure I would be willing to part with it and send it off to work with The Hubby to give away to people I don’t even know. Yes, I’m selfish like that. I’d probably end up eating the entire thing. So I figured I’d make cupcakes based on this Flourless Carrot Cake from Diethood. At least then I could portion it out a little at a time, instead of sitting down with the whole cake.
The second problem – well this recipe was clearly not amenable to baking in cupcake liners because it pulled away from the liners and sank and just looked very un-cupcake-ish. Delicious, so I am looking forward to making it in its original form, but, well, let’s just say that the remains of these cupcakes are in my freezer and and are either future parfaits or, hmmm, maybe no churn cheesecake carrot cake ice cream.
Then I thought about the Deep Dish Hot Fudge Brownies for Two and Deep Dish Chocolate Chip Cookies for Two that I had made, and I knew what I had to do. A little math, a little mixing (plus the addition of raisins and walnuts because I like “stuff” in my carrot cake), and voila – Gluten-Free Deep Dish Carrot Cake for Two!
Except these were two cakes for one. ME! Yes, I ate both of them. Separated by a couple days, but still. So yummy! Moist and tender, even a few days later, and with the little pockets of sweet and crunch from the raisins and walnuts, this might just be my perfect carrot cake since I can eat the entire thing myself!
And, you know, just to make myself feel better since I knew both cakes would end up in my belly, I topped them with a luscious Greek yogurt cream cheese topping. Seriously, is it even carrot cake if it doesn’t have cream cheese frosting?
Carrots + Greek yogurt = LUNCH! Am I right?
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
And make sure you check out all of the Springtime Sweets at the bottom of this post!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Dixie Crystals. All opinions are my own.
What is your favorite springtime dessert?
Gluten-Free Deep Dish Carrot Cakes for Two for #SundaySupper
Moist, tender flourless carrot cakes filled with walnuts and raisins and covered with a creamy and tangy Greek yogurt cream cheese topping that makes just enough to share… but only if you want to!
For the cake
- 1 egg, separated
- a pinch of cream of tartar
- 1/4 c plus 1/2 Tbsp sugar, divided
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely grated carrot
- 1/4 cup plus 3 Tbsp almond flour
- 2 Tbsp raisins (optional)
- 2 Tbsp chopped walnuts (or pecans or optional)
For the Greek yogurt cream cheese topping
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 oz cream cheese (I used light)
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 325°F and place two 6-ounce ramekins on a baking sheet (just in case).
- In a very clean small bowl combine egg white and cream of tartar and whisk vigorously to form soft peaks.
- Add ½ tbsp sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- In another bowl, combine ¼ c sugar, egg yolk, cinnamon, salt and vanilla, and which vigorously until combined and lightened in color, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Using a spatula, fold grated carrots and a third of the egg white mixture into the egg mixture until combined.
- Gently fold in the remaining egg whites and almond flour until just barely incorporated (there may stil be streaks of egg whites.
- Gently fold in the raisins and nuts, if using.
- Divide batter between the two ramekins.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and the cake starts to pull away from the sides.
- Transfer to a rack and cool completely.
- Prepare Greek yogurt cream cheese topping, and when cakes are completely cooled, divide the topping between the two cakes and spread to cover.
For the Greek yogurt cream cheese topping:
- Combine the ingredients in a bowl and using your hand mixed or the whisk attachment for your hand mixer (if you have one), whip until combined and fluffy.
I’ve got more springtime desserts for you…
- Strawberry Tiramisu Cheesecake Cups
- Whole Wheat Lemony Sugar Cookies with Strawberry Lemon Royal Icing
- Greek Yogurt Cheesecake Dip Trio
And you’ll get lots more inspiration from these recipes that the #SundaySupper contributors cooked or baked up with Dixie Crystals…
- Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake by Neighborfood
- Butterscotch Chocolate Caramel Cookie Cups by The Messy Baker
- Chewy Lemon Sugar Cookies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Coconut Lime Meltaway Cookie Bars by Chocolate Moosey
- Flan in Moscato Wine Sauce by Family Foodie
- Fresh Strawberry Tartlets by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Gluten-Free Deep Dish Carrot Cakes for Two by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Bundt by In The Kitchen With KP
- Lemon Cornmeal Sandwich Cookies by girlichef
- Lemon Roulade by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Lime Sugar Cookies by Magnolia Days
- Meyer Lemon Bars with Poppyseed Crust by Foxes Love Lemons
- Meyer Lemon Cheesecake Bars by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Mixed Berry Crumble by The Dinner-Mom
- No-Bake Banana Split Dessert Cups by The Weekend Gourmet
- Poached Pear Bread by Momma’s Meals
- Springtime French Macarons by Hip Foodie Mom
- Strawberry Cheesecake Bites by Supper For A Steal
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes by The Foodie Army Wife
- Strawberry Rhubarb Upside Down Cake by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings