This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Quick, easy and healthy, made with whole wheat and drizzled with a with a delectable lemon glaze, for the perfect breakfast or snack, you’ll have to make this Lemon Yogurt Bread.
Lemon Yogurt Bread
So….I have a rather spring-like quick bread for you today.
Yes, I know for some of you it is fully summer now. But where I live, May is still considered spring. We can finally plant flowers now (without fear of overnight frost killing them!), and go outside without coats. And we probably won’t get any more snow at this point! Although, to be honest, I wouldn’t bet against it. Unfortunately.
At any rate, I am still very much into spring like things filled with lemons when it comes to baking. Lemon in things always makes me think of spring. It’s just such a refreshing flavour that it feels like spring to me.
Plus, this lemon yogurt bread is quite healthy. It’s half whole wheat flour rather than all white, it’s quite low sugar with only half a cup for the whole loaf, plus it used coconut oil rather than butter, which is healthier and also complements the lemon flavour perfectly. It’s also full of plain Greek yogurt which I love adding to baked goods to add a little protein, plus it also adds a lot of moisture to the bread.
And, if you really want to up the health factor, you could easily skip the lemon glaze, it would be great without it. But…. don’t skip the glaze. It’s the perfect mix of tart and sweet, and really ups the lemon flavour in the bread.
And a little glaze never hurt anyone, right? Enjoy!
Get Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered to your Inbox! Every Friday you’ll see all of the Yummy Eats & Tasty Sweets from the week. Sign up HERE.
Lemon Yogurt Bread
For the bread:
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice juice of one lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a 9x5 inch loaf pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the granulated sugar and lemon zest, rubbing the zest into the sugar with your fingers until it is fragrant and a light yellow colour. Add the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt and mix well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, eggs and vanilla. Slowly add the melted coconut oil, whisking to combine it with the other wet ingredients. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Start with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and add more as needed until it’s thin enough, up to 3 tablespoons.
- Spoon the lemon glaze over top of the cooled bread and allow to set. Store in an airtight container, or wrapped in plastic wrap for 3-4 days.
Here are some more lemony sweets…
- Lemon Meringue Pie Fudge
- Lemon Creme Oreo Cheesecake Cupcakes
- Slow Cooker Strawberry Lemon Cheesecake
If you like this lemon yogurt bread, you would love these recipes from Stacey at Bake Eat Repeat: