Cheesy Mexican Hot Dog Taquitos
Cheesy Hot Dog Taquitos are a Mexican-inspired twist on your basic baked hot dogs. This kid-friendly recipe is ready in less than 30 minutes and uses just four ingredients. Rolled up in corn tortillas with cheddar cheese, then popped in the oven or air fryer, these Tex Mex franks are one of our favorite quick and easy dinners recipes and make great game day snacks!
There’s always that old joke about hot dogs coming with eight in a package and rolls coming with six or twelve or some other number that’s not eight. Honestly, every package of hot dog rolls I see in the grocery store has eight rolls. So I’m not sure why this has become such an issue. The only problem I see is that in my family we buy a package of hot dogs, a package of rolls, and only two people actually want their hot dog on a roll. Then what do you do with the rest of the hot dog rolls?
Now listen to this. I buy an organic brand of hot dogs, and do you know what they did? They started making the dogs slightly bigger, but only putting six in the package. So all four of us still want two hot dogs, which means I need eight hot dogs. So, I have to buy two packages, which means twelve hot dogs. Then I either have the kids begging for a third hot dog (umm, no, because nobody really needs to eat three hot dogs) or I have four leftover hot dogs. And then what do I do with four leftover hot dogs?
But wait, there’s more. Corn tortillas. The small package has ten, which I suppose is usually enough, except that for about ten cents more I can buy thirty. So, thinking I’m getting a deal, I buy thirty, especially since my boys can down some tacos on taco night. But thirty? What do you do with thirty corn tortillas?
Mexican Baked Hot Dogs
These are sure to be a crowd-pleaser in your house too. It’s like a Mexican twist on the classic baked hot dogs wrapped in crescent rolls (aka pigs in a blanket). Only these are hot dogs wrapped in tortillas! Whether you bake or air-fry them, the corn tortilla gets nice and crispy, while the cheese becomes melty and delicious. Serve them with your favorite fixin’s and it’s a fun way to change up Taco Tuesday!
And Cheesy Mexican Hot Dog Taquitos really couldn’t be easier. You’ll love how quick and easy they are to assemble. Soften the tortillas in the microwave and roll them up. Then after about fifteen minutes in the oven or five minutes in the air fryer, you have a super simple dinner the kids will absolutely love eating.
Here is a brief overview so you can see just how easy it is to make. Scroll down to the printable recipe card for the full quantities and details.
But don’t skip my PRO TIPS below!
- Corn tortillas
- Shredded cheese – I prefer sharp cheddar, but you can use your favorite, like Monterey Jack, Colby Jack, or a mild cheddar. I do recommend shredding the cheese form a block versus using pre-shredded cheese, as it melts better.
- Hot dogs
- Olive oil
You’ll also want to gather your favorite dips or toppings for tacos, like sour cream or Greek yogurt, salsa, or guacamole.
- Preheat your oven or air fryer to 400°F.
- Warm the corn tortillas until they are pliable.
- Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese over the corn tortillas.
- Lay a hot dog on top of a cheese-covered tortilla and roll it up as tightly as possible. Lay seam-side down on a baking sheet or secure it with a couple of toothpicks. If you are making air fryer hot dogs, just lay them on a cutting board or another prep surface.
- Brush the outsides of the tortilla lightly with olive oil and bake for about 15-20 minutes or place in the air fryer basket and cook for about five minutes. The hot dog should be hot all the way through, cheese melty, and tortilla lightly browned and crispy.
Brianne’s Recipe Pro Tips
You’ll need to warm the corn tortillas to make them pliable to roll up without cracking. To do this, you can wrap them in a damp paper towel and microwave them for 30 seconds to a minute. Or wrap them in foil and place them in the oven while it is preheating.
You should be able to roll up the taquitos and place them seam side down on the baking sheet or in the air fryer basket and they should stay closed. But if you find that they continue to unroll, you can use one or two toothpicks to secure them.
Brushing the oil on the outside will make them brown and crisp nicely. You can also try spraying them with cooking spray if you want to use a bit less oil.
Wondering what air fryer I use? I am a huge fan of my 5.8 Quart Cosori Air Fryer. I use it several times a week for fries, veggies, chicken, and more! The large size fits a ton of food, and it cleans up very easily. I definitely recommend you pick one up for yourself.
- If your kids are like mine, then it’s all about the ketchup with hot dogs, regardless of whether you are going for a Mexican-inspired meal. My Homemade Ketchup can be stirred together in five minutes.
- The obvious choice to me is salsa or guacamole. This Kid-Friendly Guacamole doesn’t have big chunks of peppers or onions to turn off those picky eaters. Mango Avocado Salsa is always a favorite here, or stick with a classic Restaurant Style Homemade Salsa.
- A drizzle of Greek yogurt or sour cream also makes a nice touch.
- Mexican Pepper Jack Baked Cauli-Tots is a perfect side dish.
- Keep them whole for dinner, or cut them in half for a fun finger food if you want to serve these hot dog taquitos as a party appetizer.
- And the adults can enjoy a Skinny Grapefruit Margarita!
You might also enjoy these…
- Buffalo Bacon Blue Cheese Hot Dogs
- Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos
- Easy Cheesy Mexican Dip
- Chili Lime Fish Stick Tacos
- Sheet Pan Nachos with Chicken
- You can load up those dogs with Tex-Mex Hot Dogs from Country Cleaver.
Cheesy Hot Dog Baked Taquitos Recipe
You’ll love these Mexican baked or air fryer hot dogs as much as my family. They only have four ingredients and are ready in less than thirty minutes (even faster when you air fry them). While they crisp up, you can get some salsa and guacamole for dipping. Sure to be a crowd-pleaser for parties, too, since they are one of the best game day recipes!
I hope you’ll leave a comment and give it a FIVE STAR rating or share a review on Pinterest or photo on Instagram!
Tag me @cupcakekalechip and use #cupcakesandkalechips!
Cheesy Hot Dog Taquitos
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (about 4 oz.)
- 8 hot dogs
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil (approximately)
- Greek yogurt or sour cream plus salsa, guacamole, etc. for dipping
- Preheat your oven or air fryer to 400°F.
- Wrap tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave for 30-60 seconds, or until soft and pliable.
- Lay tortillas out on a flat surface and sprinkle with cheddar cheese, about two tablespoons on each.
- Place a hot dog on one end of one of the tortillas and roll up as tightly as possible, and set on a baking sheet. Secure with toothpicks if necessary.
- Repeat with the remaining hot dogs.
- Brush the outsides and bottoms of the tortillas with olive oil, and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or air fryer for 5 minutes, or until the hot dogs are cooked through and the tortillas are crisp and golden.
- Drizzle with Greek yogurt or sour cream, if desired, and dip in salsa, guacamole, Greek yogurt, or sour cream if you like. You can also cut each one in half to serve as finger food appetizers.