This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
PB and J Cookie Dough Dip takes the classic combination of peanut butter and jelly and turns it into a fun and healthy snack. This flourless cookie dough dip has a secret ingredient that makes it a naturally gluten-free and vegan sweet hummus. You’ll love this recipe, and all of my easy gluten-free dessert dips.
Originally published on Apr 19, 2012
Let’s talk about the classic combination of peanut butter and jelly.
I actually wasn’t one of those kids who ate PB and J all the time. I think my insane passion for peanut butter actually came on fairly recently. And of course, since I had to cut down on “normal” (meaning not gluten-free) bread, I crave PB and J on whole wheat bread pretty much on a daily basis. I want to cater to my gluten-free, and even vegan crowd with this PB and J cookie dough dip.
The recipes I’ve seen for “cookie dough dip” or “dessert hummus” are my inspiration for this flourless PB and J cookie dough dip recipe.
This easy hummus dip recipe uses some basic pantry ingredients and tastes just like peanut butter cookie dough. But, without the risks that come with eating raw cookie dough (not that I have ever done that myself).
Add a little jelly, jam, or preserves on top for some sweetness to balance the salty peanutty-ness, and you have all of the yumminess of a classic combo, but with a new twist.
I use Smucker’s Orchard’s Finest Pacific Mountain Strawberry Preserves because I love my PB and J with strawberry “J”, and I wanted a little chunkiness, which comes from using preserves instead of jelly. But you can use whatever is your favorite.
Here’s a little fun, foodie knowledge about the classic sandwich that everyone loves!
How was PB and J invented?
The popularity of the common-day peanut butter and jelly sandwich has roots dating back to the 1920s- the invention of sliced bread. Prior to that, in 1901, a woman named Julia Davis Chandler first created the combination.
Is cookie dough dip gluten-free?
While not ALL cookie dough dip recipes are gluten-free, this PB and J cookie dough dip IS gluten-free. Because it isn’t actually cookie dough, but rather hummus in disguise, this is also a healthy cookie dough dip!
What to serve with PB and J Cookie Dough Dip
For dipping, serve some apple slices or carrot sticks. Or smear it on some crackers, rice cakes, pitas, or bananas. Add a glass of milk (or almond milk), and revisit your favorite childhood sammie memories.
Speaking of childhood, this is a tasty, healthy, and fun recipe for kids, too. The Bug loves it for a snack on some apples, and on a sammie for lunch! In fact, a minute after I took the picture of him eating the sandwich, he proceeded to take the bread off, just to eat the PB and J hummus. For my kid to eat anything in lieu of bread, you know it must be good.
Oh, and then he ate his veggies – after I put homemade ketchup on them.
If you love butter and jelly, you might also like these recipes…
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Green Smoothie
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Apple Nachos
- PB and J Cupcakes
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Swirl Whole Wheat Crackers
- You can always start your meal with Peanut Butter and Jelly Oatmeal from Barefeet in the Kitchen.
- Enjoy Flourless Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies as a snack from Sugar Free Mom.
- Or indulge your sweet tooth in a healthier way with Peanut Butter and Jelly Fudge from Texanerin Baking.
You can also check out these 18 Peanut Butter and Jelly Recipes to Channel Your Inner Child.
PB and J Cookie Dough Dip
You really can’t go wrong with a healthy hummus snack that tastes like cookie dough dip and a child’s favorite sandwich!
I hope you’ll leave a comment and give it a FIVE STAR rating or share a photo on this pin on Pinterest!
PB and J Cookie Dough Dip (flourless cookie dough)
- 15 oz. can of chickpeas preferably low sodium, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup peanut butter I use natural peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp honey or agave nectar or brown rice syrup for a vegan option
- 3 Tbsp almond milk or milk of choice
- 2 Tbsp jam jelly, or preserves (I used Smucker's Orchard's Finest Pacific Mountain Strawberry Preserves)
- Carrots apples, crackers, rice cakes, etc. for dipping and spreading
- Place the chickpeas peanut butter, and honey in the bowl of a small food processor or blender. Pulse a few times to start chopping and combining the ingredients.
- Add 2 Tbsp of your desired milk, and continue to puree until smooth and blended, adding more milk, if necessary, to achieve your desired consistency.
- Place the "cookie dough" in a bowl, top with the jam, jelly, or preserves, and swirl it in a bit with a knife.
- Dip, smear, spread, or spoon to your heart's content.