This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
A soul-warming and satisfying soup that’s easy, healthy, and gluten free, plus has a little kick, you’ll love the mashup of two comfort food favorites in this Gluten Free Chicken Taco Corn Chowder.
Gluten Free Chicken Taco Corn Chowder
Disclosure: I was asked to participate in the McCormick Gluten-Free Recipe Mixes Launch as a member of the Healthy Aperture Blogger Network. I received free samples of McCormick Gluten-Free Recipe Mixes from McCormick mentioned in this post. I was compensated for my time. As always, all opinions are my own.
I was talking to The Hubby last night about what is considered “comfort food”. It’s funny how it can mean different things to different people. Some go with sweets like brownies or cake, while others go savory like beef stew or macaroni and cheese. The Hubby said that comfort food for him is somthing that you can take a big slice of and put it on your plate, like lasagna or meatloaf.
For me, comfort food is usually a steamy bowl full of something hearty but also healthy. I don’t want something rich or heavy, because I want it to energize me, not weigh me down. But I also want it to satisfy my stomach and my soul. And I don’t want it to take a lot of time or effort, since it’s not so comforting if I have to spend hours preparing it before I get to sit down and enjoy it.
So, my new favorite comfort food might be this…
Gluten Free Chicken Taco Corn Chowder is a spicy, Mexican-inspired version of my favorite Chicken Corn Chowder. It’s thick and creamy with any cream, and nobody will walk away from the table hungry, because, as The Hubby likes to say, “Soup isn’t a meal.” Let me tell you, this soup was most definitely a meal, since the hearty corn base was filled with chunks of chicken and tomatoes, and then topped off with some avocado, crushed (gluten free) corn tortilla chips and Greek yogurt or sour cream. And what packed the big punch of Southwestern flavor from herbs and spices, but without a lot of time, effort, or funky ingredients like MSG or artificial colors and flavors? The new McCormick Gluten Free Taco Seasoning Mix!
Certified by the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness, McCormick is making sure that, whatever your reason for eating gluten free, you don’t have to skip the flavor. Now four of their most popular recipe mixes – Taco, Chili, Brown Gravy, and Turkey Gravy – come in gluten free varieties. And, even better, at the same price as the original mixes!
Sure, you can simply use the mixes to whip up tacos on Tuesday, chili for the big game, or simply to mix up a simple gravy for a Sunday roast or Thanksgiving turkey. But you can also get a little more creative with these versatile mixes. Last week I pulled a recipe from the McCormick Gluten Free Recipe Vault for Gluten Free Stir-Fried Beef and Broccoli, and today, well, this super awesome chowder. I challenge you to see what recipes you can come up with!
What is your favorite comfort food?
Gluten Free Chicken Taco Corn Chowder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup about one medium onion, chopped
- 6 cups frozen or fresh corn kernels
- 1 package McCormick Gluten-Free Taco Seasoning Mix
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 14.5 ounces canned fire roasted tomatoes well-drained
- Optional sliced avocado crushed gluten free corn tortilla chips, and Greek yogurt or sour cream, if desired
- Heat oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and saute for about 5 minutes, until translucent.
- Add 4 cups of corn and the Taco Seasoning Mix, and saute for 4-5 minutes to start to soften the corn.
- Add 2 cups of chicken stock and cook about 15-20 minutes to soften the corn.
- Transfer the entire mixture to a blender or use an immersion blender and puree until smooth.
- Return the puree to the saucepan over medium-low heat, and add the remaining 2 cups stock, 2 cups corn, chicken, and tomatoes.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for another 10 minutes, or until heated through.
- Serve topped with avocado, tortilla chips, and sour cream or Greek yogurt, if desired.
Looking for some more quick and easy gluten free soups?
- Cheesy Chipotle Chicken Sausage Chowder
- Vegetable “Flu-Buster” Soup
- Thai Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup
And here’s what some of my friends made using the other mixes…
- Gluten Free Turkey Dinner Shepherd’s Pie from Mom Foodie
- Gluten Free Savory Chili Cheesecake Spread from SpaBettie
- Gluten Free Southern Burrito Bowls from Healthy Aperture