Broccoli, Ham and Cheese Egg Muffin Cups are a great make-ahead breakfast to grab on the go, or even a brinner recipe the family will love. #SundaySupper knows sometimes it is time to push good manners aside because food is always more fun when you can eat it with your hands. So this week it’s a menu of Finger Foods for Dinner or Dessert.
Broccoli, Ham and Cheese Egg Muffin Cups -> CLICK HERE TO PIN THIS RECIPE
The other day I was looking at the Timehop app on my phone and there was a video of The Bug as a baby shoveling yogurt into his mouth without bothering to use any utensils. I was the proud mama gushing about how great it was that he was figuring out how to feed himself, even if he was still struggling with the spoon. I was laughing that I would have a big mess to clean up, but it didn’t matter because it was all part of the learning experience.
Fast forward five years to my almost-six-year-old and he still eats the same way. And I am still cleaning messes. And I’m not gushing or laughing anymore.
I like to think my husband and I have good table manners and that we are capable of passing these down to our children. In fact, I am pretty confident that we do and we can because my three-year-old brandishes a fork and spoon just fine. He still makes a mess, but he is slow and methodical and manages to get most of the food into his mouth.
The Bug, from the first day I gave him solid food, has made it his mission to get the food into his mouth as fast as possible, and if using a utensil is going to slow his progress, then he is going to forego all manners and appropriate dinner table behavior and dig in with his hands.
Sometimes I have to just choose my battles. And trust me, with two small boys, sometimes fork usage is the least of my concerns for a peaceful meal.
So you can imagine how thrilled The Bug was when I told him that this was acceptable finger food…
Broccoli, Ham and Cheese Egg Muffin Cups are as tasty as a broccoli, ham and cheese omelet, but in a much cuter package.
Plus a package that is totally acceptable to pick up and eat with your hands. And especially convenient because you can make a bunch at a time and keep them in the fridge for the week, or even pop in the freezer for when you need a quick breakfast on your way out the door on busy mornings.
We then to be breakfast for dinner folks, but I was still able to make these handheld edibles in advance for when we needed dinner to be ready fast on a busy night. Though to be honest, being a bit more civilized than my son, I did use a fork…
Here are some more handheld meals you might enjoy…
And if you are looking for some other ways to use up leftover ham, my friends have some delicious ideas. Barefeet int the Kitchen made Ham and Cheese Biscuits, with regular and gluten free versions. Ham and Broccoli Macaroni and Cheese from Oh, Sweet Basil looks like the ultimate comfort food. And if you don’t feel like making the individual egg muffins, you can always make a Cheesy Ham and Broccoli Frittata from The Food Charlatan.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here:Sunday Supper Movement.
What is your favorite finger food?
For more yumminess from me and my foodie friends, keep up with me on…
Or sign up to have Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered straight to your Inbox!
Broccoli, Ham and Cheese Egg Muffin Cups for #SundaySupper
An easy recipe you can make ahead (and even freeze!) for breakfast on-the-go or a simple brinner!
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cooked broccoli
- 1 cup diced ham
- 1 cup (about 4 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 eggs
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and coat a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- Divide the broccoli and ham between the cups in the muffin tin. Top each with a slightly heaping tablespoon of cheddar cheese.
- Crack the eggs into a large bowl, add the dry mustard, kosher salt, and pepper, and lightly beat.
- Divide the egg mixture evenly between the muffin cups. You'll need about ¼ cup of the egg mixture for each one, but it is easier to add about half of that at a time and let it soak down into the cups.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until eggs are set and top is lightly golden brown.
Here’s plenty of Sunday Supper Dishes you can eat with your hands…
- Artichoke Jalapeno Bruschetta by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Bacon Wrapped Dates by Our Good Life
- Baked Blue Cheese Olive Bites by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Baked Chicken Flautas by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Baked Piroshki (Russian Stuffed Rolls) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Blue Cheese & Buffalo Chicken Wonton Bites by Moore or Less Cooking
- Caprese Polenta Cakes by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Cherry Topped Brie Bites by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chicken Pesto Pizza by Taste And See
- Classic Homemade Guacamole by Pies and Plots
- Fresh Vegetable Rainbow Rolls by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Italian Fried Stuffed Olives by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Healthy Buffalo Chicken Kabobs by Hardly A Goddess
- Mini Feta Leek Quiche by FoodieTots
- Mini Mediterranean Shish Kebabs by Hey What’s for Dinner Mom?
- Pan Seared Bruschetta by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Raspberry Glazed Chicken Wings by Family Around The Table
- Sesame Chicken Fingers by An Appealing Plan
- Spicy Popcorn Chicken by Brunch-n-Bites
- Battered-dipped Turkey Tenders by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Beef Wellington Bites by Food Lust People Love
- Broccoli, Ham and Cheese Egg Muffin Cups by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Broccoli, Ham & Cheese Double Stuffed Potatoes by Simply Healthy Family
- Cheesy Baked Garlic Chicken Strips by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Cuban Sandwiches by My World Simplified
- Chicken Parmesan Sliders by The Chef Next Door
- Ethiopian Injera and Tikel Gomen (cabbage, carrots and potato) by Caroline’s Cooking
- Fish fingers and Old Bay Dip by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Crunchy-Coated Haddock Fingers by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Ham and Cheese Sliders by Feeding Big and More
- Mini Pizza Pockets by The Freshman Cook
- Mini Pizzas by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Ribs with Whiskey Maple Barbecue Sauce by Palatable Pastime
- Savory Beef and Veggie Hand Pies by Positively Stacey
- Spinach-Feta Rolls by Wholistic Woman
- Lasagna Cupcakes by A Mind Full Mom
- Tacos in Lettuce Wraps by Simple and Savory
- Thai Basil Chicken Lettuce Wraps by Casa de Crews
- Thai-Indian Beef Lettuce Cups by The Texan New Yorker
- Vegetarian Piadina Sandwich by she loves biscotti
- Yuca Fritters Stuffed with Cheese by Basic N Delicious
- Blueberry and Brie Tarts by Momma’s Meals
- Roasted Strawberry Hand Pies by Baking Sense
- Salted Caramel Cream Puffs by The Redhead Baker
Plus Bite-sized Pavlovas and More Finger Food Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement