OK, OK, I know yesterday I said it was the last of the birthday party recipes, but I lied. One more. Because you have to have this recipe. It is just too awesome. And it has bacon. It’s the best chili ever, more affectionately known as Bill’s Chili (aka the World’s Best Chili).
Bill’s Chili (aka the World’s Best Chili)
I am part of a few Facebook groups where members share recipes, and everyday we answer one question – WFD? Or “What’s for dinner?” These exchanges epitomize both what is good and what is bad about Facebook. It is a great way to great new recipes ideas and inspiration since you can find out what people who reproduced the recipe think. On a good day, it makes me feel good to see that even when I am making a dinner of turkey kielbasa and frozen veggies, it is OK, because as busy moms, we all have to resort to the simple and easy sometimes. But on those days when I am a bit down on myself, I compare myself to the others, and feel bad I don’t always make the homemade dinner rolls, and a salad course and a homemade dessert every night. And I think we all have a tendency to want to show off a bit. When I am making something special, or complicated, or fancy, I have a tendency to glam up my description. And when it is something simple, I make an excuse – sick, busy, whatever. But still, it is fun to share my ideas and menus and recipes, and to get some from other people.
One of the best things to come out of being part of this group is discovering Bill’s Chili. I have no idea who Bill is (other than that he is someone that one of the group members knows), but I can tell you one thing – I will be making his chili for the rest of my life. I’ve only made a couple of minor modifications – a little less salt and chili powder (I was making it for a party with kids), and cut out the honey and canned mushrooms. I may love my mushrooms, but not canned, and not in chili. I also left out the scant amount of flour is calls for, to make it gluten-free. And after I get the meat all browned and everything combined in the pot, sometimes I throw it all in the crockpot. In fact, this time, I cooked it for many hours on the stove, froze it, then simmered it in the crockpot some more the day I served it.
Also, to make it a bit healthier, I did use 93% lean ground beef and top round beef cubes. With all of the other seasonings and liquids, there was no lack of flavor or moisture. I didn’t skip the bacon, though. It is only 1/4 lb. in this giant pot.
This recipe was a favorite of so many of the people in one of the groups, that I knew I had to try it, and I am so happy I did. I have tried lots of chili recipes, and they have all been fine, but this is amazing. Full of meaty deliciousness. And it makes A LOT. And it freezes well. And it is perfect over some of these guys for a baseball birthday party!
Oh yeah! Crockpot Hot Dogs!
Do you have a prized chili recipe? What is your secret ingredient?
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 lb stew beef, cut in small chunks
- ¼ lb bacon, diced in small pieces
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (4.5 oz) can Old El Paso chopped green chilies
- 1 (28 oz) can Hunts whole tomatoes
- 1 (12 oz) or 2 (6 oz) cans Hunts tomato paste
- 1 quart water
- 1 (2 oz) can chili powder (I used less, a couple tablespoons)
- 1 t dried mustard
- 1 T crushed red pepper (again, I used less, about ½ T)
- 1½ T cumin
- 1 T dried oregano
- 1+ T salt (I used less, a few teaspoons)
- 2 tbsp honey (I omitted this)
- 1 tbsp garlic from jar (or 1 clove)
- ¾ t black pepper
- 3 (16 oz) cans kidney beans
- Shredded cheese, sour cream, onions, etc. for topping
- Brown the meats, pepper, and onion until the meat is cooked and the vegetables are tender. Drain any collected grease and liquid, if desired.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute or two.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except the optional toppings), and simmer on low for at least 4 hours, or put into a crockpot on low for at least 4 hours.
Enjoy Bill’s Chili (aka the World’s Best Chili)!
Don’t have time or need quite this much? Here are some more chili recipes to try…
- Quick and Easy Chipotle Turkey Chili
- Slow Cooker Aloha Chili
- Cauliflower and Quinoa Vegan White Chili
You can also check out these 30+ Chili Recipes!