This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
These rich and fudgy flourless Turtle Brownies are swirled with cheesecake and caramel, and then topped with pecans. They are the ultimate decadent dessert recipe for anyone who craves the chocolate, caramel, and pecan combo. And it’s a naturally gluten free brownie recipe that you won’t be able to resist!
Fudgy Turtle Brownies with Cheesecake Swirl
Since these brownies are flourless, it’s all about the chocolate. But even when it’s all about the chocolate, you still can level up your brownies. These fudgy turtle cheesecake brownies will satisfy your chocolate, cheesecake, and caramel cravings all in one bite, with the crunch of pecans on top.
The slightly tangy swirl of cream cheese and crunchy nuts balances the sweetness of the rich, chocolate and the caramel. Oh, yes, let’s not forget the caramel which gives these brownies even more ooey gooey deliciousness.
You’ve never had gluten free brownies like this before. Bring on the milk, people, bring on the milk! Because whether you like the fudgy middle or the slightly crispy (but still super moist) edges, you won’t be disappointed.
What Makes These Turtle Cheesecake Brownies So Good?
- Naturally gluten free. The brownie batter base is made with almond flour, so they don’t have any flour to swap out to make a perfect gluten free brownie.
- So fudgy. Since they are made without flour, they are extra ooey gooey in the middle.
- Surefire recipe. I’ve made this gluten free brownie base a ton of times, and it never fails me, whether I’m swirling in Bailey’s Fudge Sauce like these brownies, or swapping out the pecans in this recipe to make Flourless Caramel Cashew Cheesecake Swirl Brownies. I had to give some away to my neighbors to keep from eating them all myself.
Let’s gather what we will need to make these turtle brownies. Here is a quick overview, but be sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full amounts and detailed instructions. But don’t miss my tips for success.
For the Cheesecake Swirl
- Cream cheese. You can use light or regular (not fat free), just be sure it is softened to room temperature
- Powdered sugar.
- Pure vanilla extract. Use a good quality, gluten free brand.
For the Brownies
How to Make Turtle Brownies
While there are a few components to this gluten free brownie recipe, it’s actually super easy. Other than the bowl you need for melting the butter with the chocolate chips, you mix it all up in one bowl.
- Prepare the pan. Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 13×9 inch pan with parchment paper or spray well with nonstick cooking spray.
- Make the cheesecake swirl. Combine all of the cheesecake ingredients in a small bowl, and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Melt chocolate. In a double boiler or a bowl set over a simmering pan of water, melt the butter, then add the chocolate chips, stirring until melted. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Make the batter. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar till pale, the slowly whisk in the melted chocolate. Then whisk in cocoa powder, almond flour, salt, and vanilla.
- Fill the pan. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Place small dollops of the cheesecake mixture and caramel over the batter and then create swirls with a butter knife or small spatula. Sprinkle with pecans
- Bake and cool. Bake at 350°F for 22-26 minutes, or until just set in the middle. Cool completely in the pan before cutting.
Tips for Success
- Get a crackly top. Make sure you whisk the eggs and sugar for a minute or two until pale, as this ensures you get a little bit of rise and the nice crispy bits on top and on the edges.
- Don’t scramble the eggs. Add the chocolate slowly after it cools a bit so the eggs don’t cook and curdle.
- Line or grease the pan. Usually, I use parchment in the pan. I’ve also just sprayed my pan really well, though, and I had no problems with the brownies sticking.
These brownies can be kept covered at room temperature for 2-3 days. Or refrigerate them if you want to keep them around for up to a week.
Flourless Turtle Cheesecake Brownies
For the Cheesecake Swirl:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, light or regular, softened to room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the Brownies:
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup caramel sauce, homemade or good quality store-bought
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
For the Cheesecake Swirl:
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl, and blend until smooth. Set aside.
For the Brownies:
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 13×9 inch pan with parchment paper or spray well with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a double boiler or a bowl set over a simmering pan of water, melt the butter, then add the chocolate chips, stirring until melted. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar for a minute or two.
- Add melted chocolate mixture a little at a time, whisking well after each addition.
- Whisk in the cocoa powder, almond meal, salt, and vanilla.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Place small dollops of the cheesecake mixture and caramel over the batter and then create swirls with a butter knife or small spatula. Sprinkle with pecans
- Bake at 350°F for 22-26 minutes, or until just set in the middle.
- Cool completely in the pan before cutting.
More Gluten Free Brownie Recipes
You can never have too many easy, fudgy brownie recipes on hand. Here are a few more of my favorites!