This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
#SundaySupper is inviting you to a picnic! I’ve combined so many favorite flavors into one satisfying recipe that’s still healthy because it’s made with Greek yogurt. Perfect on a sandwich, on a salad, or just on a plate, for a cool dinner or lunch all week, mix up some Barbecue Ranch Quinoa Chicken Salad.
Barbecue Ranch Quinoa Chicken Salad
So I always heard those stories about parents who spend their weekends running their kids from one thing to another and barely getting time to breathe, and I am finally getting my first taste of it. We have had houseguests for three of the past five weekends, but the two free weekends, well, let’s just say “free” is relative. The one free weekend was Easter weekend, and Saturday was karate to Easter egg hunt to birthday party, leaving the house at 8:45 am and not returning till about 6 in the evening. Sunday was, well, Easter, and even though it was low key, it was still church, brunch, and bike riding with the kiddos.
The you have this weekend. Last night after work and school for everyone, the boys needed haircuts and new shoes. Since we were at the mall, we had dinner there and let the kids play at the indoor play area, lest we get ourselves mired in traffic from everyone fleeing DC on Friday evening. So it was a late bedtime for the dudes.
This morning, I got up at 6 am to go for a 4 mile run/1 1/4 mile walk (don’t ask – wrong turn) while The Hubby got the kids up and fed. Then we did actually have couple hours to do a few things around the house while the boys played, but then it was into the tee ball uniform, and off to the game. After the game, The Bug ate lunch in the car as The Hubby drove him to Opening Day Ceremonies while I brought Little Dude home for lunch and to grab a smoothie for myself. Then The Bug came home, we ripped off his uniform, threw on shorts and headed out the door to a birthday party, for which we were 30 minutes late. Ugh! Luckily we we go there the kids were just roaming the party room waiting for pizza before they had cake and headed to the rides and arcade of the next three hours. I texted The Hubby as we left and he started dinner.
We came home, ate, bathed a couple of sweaty, nasty boys, got their sweaty, nasty laundry washing, got them to bed, and yes, right now, over 18,000 steps later, I’m pretty much about to pass out. Or, you know, finish up this blog post that I never got to this week and then hang out on my couch with a couple of friends named Ben and Jerry. Oh, but wait, two more loads of laundry to finish.
And this is mainly just for one kid. I’m a little scared about what it will be like with the two of them! I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – God bless those of you who have three or four or more! I am in awe and admiration!
But next weekend all we have is one early Saturday morning tee ball game and then we are free FREE FREEEEEE! Maybe, just maybe we will pack the boys and some lunch and go have picnic at the park. Or heck, maybe we will head to the Mall in DC (I’ve been daydreaming about picnicking amongst the monuments since the snowy day that we moved to Maryland). And maybe, just maybe I’ll pack some of this into our cooler…
So let me tell you something, if there is a recipe that gets my kids to eat quinoa, you know it’s good. And I’m not just talking about just eating it when they are home with me because if they want a snack they have to eat at least a reasonable portion of their dinner. I’m talking about, they ate it at school for lunch, without mom watching! But really, what kid doesn’t love these flavors? It’s Barbecue Ranch Quinoa Chicken Salad! Inspired by my Bacon Ranch Quinoa Chicken Salad, I took a few of my kids’ favorites – a slight variation of my Pantry Greek Yogurt Ranch (I happened to have fresh dill and parsley, but you can still use dried), our favorite barbecue sauce, and a bit of shredded cheddar cheese – and mixed it all up with some cooked and cooled quinoa and leftover chicken, and there ya’ go. Dinner (or lunch or random snack) is served! All whole grain and gluten free and high protein and healthy-like, but it takes like barbecue and ranch and yum!!!
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Then get inspiration from appetizers and sides to mains and desserts for all of your summer picnicking fun at the bottom of this post!
How do you or did you juggle all of your kids’ activities?
Get Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered to your Inbox! Every Friday you’ll see all of the Yummy Eats & Tasty Sweets from the week. Sign up HERE.
Barbecue Ranch Quinoa Chicken Salad
For Barbecue Ranch Dressing:
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
For Chicken Salad:
- 2 cups cooked quinoa cooled
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken cooled
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese about 2 oz.
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes or halved grape or cherry tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, olive oil, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, parsley, dill, and barbecue sauce, and stir until combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked quinoa, chicken, and cheddar cheese.
- Add the barbecue ranch dressing and stir to combine.
- Add the tomatoes and gently toss.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Here are some more quinoa chicken combos you won’t be able to resist…
- Mango Avocado Quinoa Chicken Salad
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Casserole
- Strawberry Lime Quinoa Chicken Salad
Plus the rest of today’s #SundaySupper Picnic menu…
- Caprese Skewers by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Crisp Cucumber Salsa with Southwest Style Chips by Momma’s Meals
- French Onion Dip, with Greek Yogurt by Casa de Crews
- Mediterranean Spiced Hummus by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Pepperoni Pinwheels by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Watermelon Salad by annaDishes
- Blackberry Lemonade by The Redhead Baker
- Blueberry Mojito Mocktails by NeighborFood
- Grandma’s Stuff by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Minty Cardinal Punch by Food Lust People Love
- Pineapple Ginger Lemonade Spiked with Turmeric by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Sangria Punch by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Strawberry Pineapple Lemonade by Noshing With The Nolands
- Avocado Sriracha Egg Salad by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Barbecue Ranch Quinoa Chicken Salad by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Boneless Chicken Wings by Nosh My Way
- Burger Ice Cream by Brunch with Joy
- Chicken Salad Sliders by Life Tastes Good
- Spanish tortilla by Caroline’s Cooking
- Broccoli & Tomato Pasta Salad by Flour On My Face
- Buffalo Macaroni Salad by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Couscous Veggie Salad with Pesto by Cooking Chat
- Fully Loaded Baked Potato Salad by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Granola Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Greek Style Asparagus Salad by Curious Cuisiniere
- No Mayo Slaw with Poppyseed Dressing by Palatable Pastime
- Spiralized Beet and Goat Cheese Salad by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Sweet and Tangy Brussels Coleslaw with Fennel, Chopped Apples and Golden Raisins by Simply Healthy Family
Soups and Salads:
- Barley and Rice Salad by Family Foodie
- Broccoli Salad with Bacon and Dried Cranberries by Food Done Light
- Layered Mason Jar Pasta Salad for Two by The Weekend Gourmet
- Smoked Turkey Salad by Our Good Life
- Spinach Salad with Apples & Pecans in an Apple Balsamic Vinaigrette by Carrie’s Experimental Kitchen
- Nicoise Salad by The Petit Gourmet
- Bacon-Bulleit Brownies by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Fudgey Coca Cola Cake by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Earth Day Cupcakes by Savory Experiments
- Gluten Free Cookie Bars by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Lemon Lime Pound Cake by Vintage Kitchen
- Lemon Yuzu Cookies by NinjaBaker.com
- Mini Lemon Chess Pies by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- No-Bake Cookie Butter Chex Mix Bars by Wallflour Girl
- Peanut Butter Bars by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Peanut Butter Carob Bars by Pies and Plots
- Sourdough Chunk Cookies by What Smells So Good?
I just had to take a minute to say thank you for sharing this recipe. I think I’ve made it every week now since stumbling across it on Pinterest a month or two ago. I make up a double batch and we eat it for lunches during the week. I don’t put any chicken in it, and it’s still so good! We even tried a variation using buffalo sauce instead of bbq and celery instead of the tomatoes, and that was amazing! It’s also very Weight Watchers friendly if you leave out / cut back on the cheese.
So thank you for posting this healthy, versatile, delicious salad!
I am so glad you took the recipe and made it your own. And I am totally buffalo-obsessed, I love that idea!!
I think you have encompassed picnics in this salad!
Enjoy these busy times with friends and family. There are those who sit at home with no company but a computer and a tv.
Oh wow – sounds like you have a busy life. Our schedules are pretty much close to that so whenever possible, we try to stay home and do nothing. This quinoa salad looks scrumptious and I need a big bowl of this. Yum!!!
Omg. This sounds so delicious. I don’t even think I’d mind the chicken part, haha
It would be amazing even as a vegetarian salad. Maybe with some black or kidney beans. Hmmmm…
What a wonderful salad!
What a great looking salad. I have to admit I have not tried quinoa yet. One of these days…..
Oh you should try it! There are so many creative recipes out there you are sure to find something you like!
I’m always looking for new ways to use quinoa. A BBQ chicken salad sounds wonderful!
BBQ makes everything yummy!
I need to up the protein in my diet and this salad would fit the bill perfectly! And it sounds delish!
We love the combo of chicken and quinoa, plus Greek yogurt adds even more protein!
It is so rare we have a free weekend anymore! After a busy day, I would be happy to sneak in a little indoor picnic with this salad.
I know, it just gets crazier and crazier!
You can’t ask for a better compliment than when your kids love to eat healthy foods you make!
I think I hit the ground running ever since our daughter arrived. At no age does it seem to let up. Your chicken and quinoa salad looks picture perfect for a picnic!!
I can only imagine when they are both older. At least then, after a busy day, I can tell them just to go to bed instead of the whole teeth brushing, story reading routine 🙂
Oh man, how I can relate to the busy and trying to get it all done! I am glad you have a free weekend next week, though! This salad with BBQ chicken and quinoa looks so so good!
It’s not easy, but I guess we all do our best 🙂
I like to find another good quinoa recipe. Yum!
Can never have enough!
You had me at barbecue! And I’m exhausted from reading about your weekends, jaja, so a plate of this should make it all right again. Love this recipe, already pinned!
Thanks Paula! Yes, I feel like I need a nap right now!