Packed with whole grains, summer berries, and maybe even a little chocolate if you like, for a quick and tasty breakfast or snack, contributor Stacey from Bake Eat Repeat is sharing a simple and yummy recipe for Healthy Banana Blueberry Muffins.
Healthy Banana Blueberry Muffins
I adore muffins. If I could bake nothing else for the rest of time, I would probably choose muffins. There are just so many options. Unending possibilities and combinations. Plus, they’re so quick and easy to make, you can be enjoying a fresh muffin hot from the oven with your morning coffee in under an hour.
I tend to go for healthier muffin options most of the time. Muffins should be a breakfast food in my opinion, and not one that fulfills your calorie quota for the day either! I like my muffins to taste like muffins, not cupcakes.
This muffin recipe is no different. It’s based on my blueberry banana oat bread recipe, adapted to make 12 large muffins instead. I’m so glad that I decided to adapt it to make muffins, because they were fantastic. Plus, it had been far too long since I made that banana bread recipe. Besides, you can never have too many healthy, delicious muffin recipes in your collection, right? No, just me?
These healthy banana blueberry muffins are soft and fluffy, and filled to bursting with blueberries, oats and chocolate chips (um, yes, I did need to put chocolate chips in – it’s okay they’re still pretty healthy!). You could certainly omit the chocolate and they’d still be amazing, I just have a hard time making muffins without chocolate chips, because, well, chocolate. But if you have more self control than me, feel free to omit them. I even wrote “optional” beside them in the ingredient list, even though I know it’s not optional in my house!
Regardless of your chocolate preferences though, these muffins are delicious. Soft and fluffy and full of juicy summer blueberries. I may just have to go make some more. Enjoy!
Healthy Banana Blueberry Muffins
Soft and fluffy, plus packed with fruit and whole grains for a perfect breakfast or snack.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 medium bananas (about 1 cup mashed)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 heaping cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly spray a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray or line with paper liners and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mash the bananas well. Whisk in the buttermilk, eggs, brown sugar and oil until well combined.
- In a large bowl, toss together the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, rolled oats, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, baking soda. Pour in the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in the blueberries and chocolate chips (if using) gently.
- Divide the batter between the 12 prepared muffin cups, filling them almost to the top, and bake for 25-28 minutes, or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Related Recipes from Stacey…
- Healthy Double Chocolate Cherry Muffins
- Blueberry Oat Muffins
- Cheesecake Topped Carrot Banana Muffins
And a few from Brianne…
- Raspberry Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Healthy Carrot Zucchini Mini Muffins
- Healthier Double Chocolate Chip Cupcake Muffins