Father’s Day is right around the corner and #SundaySupper is celebrating all of the dads in our lives with this week’s collection of recipes. If you have a special dad with a sweet tooth, he will love this creamy and fully loaded four-ingredient Graham Cracker Chocolate Chunk No-Churn Ice Cream.
Graham Cracker Chocolate Chunk No-Churn Ice Cream
There’s no question my hubby loves his boys. He knows just when Little Dude needs a little extra Daddy-time in the morning, and will offer to drive him to school on those days. He sees The Bug’s scientific curiosity and has a great way of teaching him things and explaining things to him. As their birthdays approach, while I am thinking about cakes and meals and parties, he is loading up his cart on Amazon with ideas for gifts he knows they will love. And every night he lays down in their bunk bed to sing songs with them.
What I also appreciate is all that he does for me and for us as a family to keep us moving through this crazy busy thing we call life. And I must say, our life has been especially crazy busy lately, but he has always jumped in to do an extra pickup or drop-off or baseball game or load of laundry or whatever else is needed. So when I went on a work trip for three days last week, while I actually wasn’t feeling a whole lot of mom-guilt, I was feeling a ton of wife-guilt. I know he is fine on his own with the boys, but he has had a lot going on at work, on top of all of the craziness at home. And this was the first time he has had them on his own during the week versus a weekend, which meant breakfasts and lunches and schedules, and not a lot of flexibility to drop things off the to-do list or for things to take longer than expected.
So before I left I laid out all of their outfits for the week. I prepared the boys’ breakfasts for Monday and Tuesday, and left him a note to just get them cereal on Wednesday. I packed their lunches and labeled them for all three days. He had planned to take them out to dinner on Monday, but I left some simple things to make for dinner on Tuesday before The Bug’s baseball practice and Wednesday before Little Dude’s teeball game. And I set up a babysitter to get The Bug from the bus stop on Tuesday and Wednesday, and stay with the kiddo who did not have a game or practice that night. As I said, I know he is totally capable of doing all of these things, but I really wanted this to be as easy as possible on him.
My flight got in late Wednesday evening, and even though I was tired, I knew that I’d have to go home and make the boys’ breakfast and lunches for the next day because I was sure I’d be tired and moving slowly on Thursday morning. However, much to my surprise, as I texted him when my flight landed, he told me he had their breakfasts ready and was just finishing up their lunches. And he packed probably what I would have packed if I has done it myself. So if you saw #BugsLunchbox last Thursday, that was all him!
What a special hubby and daddy!
Well after that, I’m really glad I had left him a special treat to enjoy while I was gone…
This Graham Cracker Chocolate Chunk No-Churn Ice Cream is loaded with goodness. Based on his favorite Graham Central Station ice cream flavor from Bruster’s, I started with the basic no-churn ice cream, which is simply whipped heavy cream and sweetened condensed milk folded together and frozen, and then took inspiration from Christina of Dessert for Two for infusing the cream with the flavor of the graham crackers by soaking them, a la “cereal milk”. After straining out the graham crackers, I folded in more chopped up graham crackers and chocolate chunks and chips and flakes made by melting chocolate, spreading it thin, and breaking it up into bits and pieces after it is solid. Pop it into the freezer, and a few hours later you have magical goodness.
I think it’s safe to say The Hubby loved his special treat. By the time I got back from my trip, he had eaten half of it, and he hadn’t shared a bit with the boys. I actually let them try some the other night, and, not surprisingly, they were huge fans. I mean, with a creamy base, the softened gobs of graham crackers, and plenty of chocolate for tons of texture and chocolaty goodness – who wouldn’t love this? Well, unless you are me and have a gluten allergy, but still make your hubby his favorite even though you are the ice cream-obsessed one and can’t even sample this particular variety. So I hope you’ll trust his feedback and give it a try even though I can’t give you my personal review.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here:Sunday Supper Movement.
Then check out all of #SundaySupper’s dads’ favorite recipes at the bottom of this post.
For more yumminess from me and my foodie friends, keep up with me on…
Or sign up to have Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered straight to your Inbox!
- One sleeve (about 9 or 10) graham crackers, divided
- One pint heavy cream, well chilled
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- One 14.5 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk
- Place a large metal or glass bowl in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Take three of the graham crackers, crush slightly into large pieces, and set aside.
- Place the remaining graham crackers in a large glass or metal bowl, pour the heavy cream over the crackers, and place in the refrigerator for at least 20-30 minutes.
- While the graham crackers are soaking in the cream, line a cookie sheet with a silicone baking sheet or wax paper. Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave or over a double boiler, then pour onto the prepared sheet and spread into a thin layer. Chill in the refrigerator, then break apart into a mixture of chunks and flakes.
- Strain the crackers out of the heavy cream mixture using a fine mesh sieve, collecting the cream in the chilled bowl.
- Using an electric mixer or whisk, beat the heavy cream to soft peaks.
- Gently fold the sweetened condensed milk into the whipped cream, then gently fold in the reserved crushed graham crackers and chocolate pieces.
- Pour the mixture into a container that you can freeze, cover tightly with a lid or plastic wrap, and place in the freezer for at least several hours until frozen.
Enjoy this Graham Cracker Chocolate Chunk No-Churn Ice Cream recipe!
And here are a few more no-churn ice cream recipes you might enjoy…
- Salted Ripple Chip No-Churn Ice Cream
- Nutella Swirl Toffee Crunch No-Churn Ice Cream
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake No-Churn Ice Cream
Plus the rest of the #SundaySupper feast in honor of dad…
Appetizers & Snacks:
- Best Popcorn Ever (with Nutritional Yeast!!) by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Easy Homemade Pretzel Recipe by April Golightly
- Nana’s Pimento Cheese by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Bourbon Sweet Tea Cocktail by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Dad’s Favorite Blueberry Pancakes by Family Around The Table
- Steak & Egg Breakfast Skillet by Caroline’s Cooking
Condiments & Sauces:
- Apple Crisp by Ninja Baker
- Banana Berry Bread by Desserts Required
- Blackberry Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream by Simple and Savory
- Black Bourbon Walnut Brownies with Maple-Candied Bacon by The Crumby Cupcake
- Blueberry Ice Cream Cookie Bars by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cherry Garcia Bars by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Marshmallow Cupcakes by Crazed Mom Lifestyle & Recipes
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Coconut Cream Pie by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Tempura Strawberries by Baking Sense
- German Chocolate Brownie Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Graham Cracker Chocolate Chunk No-Churn Ice Cream by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grilled Fruit Kabobs with Fresh Whipped Cream by Helpful Homemade
- Peach Crumble Bars by The Finer Cookie
- Personal Banana Cream Pie by Food Lust People Love
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie by The Chef Next Door
- Maizena Tamal by Basic N Delicious
- Mom’s Carrot Cake by Jennifer Cooks
- Bacon Patty Melts by Cookin’ Mimi
- BBQ Salmon Salad with Avocado Ranch Dressing by PancakeWarriors
- Beef Shepherd’s Pie Casserole by Cooking Chat
- Buffalo Chicken Tacos by Palatable Pastime
- Carolina-Style BBQ Burger by The Redhead Baker
- Coffee-Rubbed Prime Rib Roast by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Fried Chicken by Tramplingrose
- Grilled Chicken and Beef Stir Fry by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Filet Mignon with Zip Sauce by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Italian Sausage and Peppers by Monica’s Table
- Moroccan Preserved Lemon Chicken Tagine by Curious Cuisiniere
- Philly Style Slow Roasted Pork Sandwich with Broccoli Rabe and Provolone by The Hungry Goddess
- Sharp Cheddar and Crispy Onion Burgers with Horseradish Sauce by A Mind Full Mom
- Skillet Spaghetti and Meatballs by From Gate to Plate
- Spicy Fish Tacos with Garlic-Chive Aioli by Wholistic Woman
- Turkey Chorizo Burgers with Guacamole by Books n’ Cooks
- Vegetarian “Philly Cheesesteak” by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Walnut Cauliflower Zucchini Boats by Beauty and the Beets
- Chipotle Lime Cole Slaw by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- The Ultimate BLT Pasta Salad by Cooking with Carlee
Plus What Dad Really Wants for Father’s Day from Sunday Supper Movement