Baskets and bushels are overflowing at your local farmers’ markets, and fruits and vegetables from your CSA are piling up. It’s time for a Farmstand Foods #SundaySupper. Local produce meets international inspiration in a healthy treat with these creamy and fruity Dairy-Free Peach Mango Lassis with Whipped Coconut Cream.
Dairy-Free Peach Mango Lassis with Whipped Coconut Cream
Currently: It’s 12:21 am. On Sunday. Yes, the day you are seeing this post first appear on my site. And all I can say to you is that you should never question my dedication to my work. Yes, I make food and photograph food and write about food and Facebook about food and Tweet about food and Pin food, and yes, this is actually my job. But here it is, basically the middle of the night, I’m sitting on the floor of a hotel room in a dress with a sleeping roommate while shoving a gluten free cupcake in my mouth trying to get this post ready because I haven’t skipped posting a new recipe on a Sunday in, like, a year and a half. And while I toyed with not posting at all, I couldn’t bring myself to do it. This is after I spent the day building brand relationships, leading a pretty rock star panel discussion (if I do say so myself) at the Food & Wine Conference, networking with my fellow bloggers (aka catching up with friends, but when your “colleagues” live all over the country, you only get to see them maybe once or twice a year, and I love love love them all, I’ve gotta chit chat and hug and all of that good stuff), and yes, even made sure my tablemates didn’t touch the Certified Angus Beef until I stood on a chair in ballroom in my dress to get the perfect shot to share the awesomeness of the brand I am representing this weekend. But take this all as a little tongue in cheek (it is the middle of the night). It is work, but it’s work I love to do. It’s fun work, and I’m blessed to call it a job and to have such awesome friends with whom I get to navigate the waters of this funny blogging life. But for that matter, you should also never question my dedication to my family. We’ve had a few trials and tribulations the past couple weeks. Nothing that is life-threatening or earth-shattering, and maybe something that I’ll share more about when the time is right, but still some stuff to deal with. Stuff that took attention and time. So what got pushed off as I tried to do everything I needed to do for my family and get ready for this conference? Writing about this yumminess that we were sipping on a few weeks ago… There may not be any milk or yogurt or cream in these Dairy-Free Peach Mango Lassis with Whipped Coconut Cream, but these babies are rich. Obviously the trick is coconut milk, right? I know that a mango lassi is usually made with yogurt, but I had these cans of coconut milk calling my name, I was dying to make coconut whipped cream again because, you guys, so good. And I mean, if the whipped cream was dairy-free, I might as well make the whole thing dairy free because, again, coconut milk, you guys, so good! I added a pinch of cardamom, just for fun, but it’s not critical. I also used low fat coconut milk in the lassi itself and it was already pretty thick, so if you use full fat, you may need a bit of almond milk or water to thin it out. You can also add some ice to make it a bit frostier. But whatever you do, grab some peaches from the farmstand and make this drink. This kids thought it was a dessert milkshake, but it’s still so good for them! Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement. And more recipes for all of your Farmstand Foods at the bottom of this post. Have you ever pulled an all-nighter?
Dairy-Free Peach Mango Lassis with Whipped Coconut Cream for #SundaySupper
Add fresh peaches to the traditional Indian drink for a cool, creamy, healthy snack or dessert!
For the lassis
- 1 mango, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 peaches, cut into chunks
- one 14 oz. can coconut milk, chilled (if you use full fat coconut milk, you may need to thin out the lassis with a little almond or other milk, or the liquid left from chilling the full fat coconut milk used to make the whipped coconut cream.)
- coconut sugar, honey, maple syrup or sweetener of choice, if needed
For the whipped coconut cream
- one 14 oz can full fat coconut milk (must be full fat) that has been chilled in the refrigerator overnight
- 1 Tablespoon coconut or brown sugar
- pinch cardamom, optional
For the lassis:
- Combine the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Pour into four to six glasses and top with whipped coconut cream.
For the whipped coconut cream:
- Carefully open the chilled can of coconut milk and scoop the solidified cream out into a bowl, leaving the liquid behind (this can be used in smoothies or for thinning out the lassis, if desired).
- Add the sugar and cardamom, if using, and whip with an electric mixer (I like to use the whisk attachment) or whisk until soft peaks form. Serve in top of the lassis.
Here are some more peachy recipes…
- Blueberry, Peaches and Cream Green Smoothies
- Whipped Feta & Grilled Peach Salad with Blueberry Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Blueberry and Grilled Peach Quinoa Parfaits
And here is the rest of today’s #SundaySupper menu… Appetizers, Sides and Salads
- 8 Grain Bread by What Smells So Good?
- Farm Fresh Gazpacho by An Appealing Plan
- Farmer’s Market Potato Salad by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Fennel and Orange Salad by Feeding Big – and more!
- Gazpacho Shooters with Avocado and Corn Salsa by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Grilled Peach Caprese by A Gouda Life
- Grilled Prosciutto Corn by Palatable Pastime
- Peach Caprese Salad by The Joyful Foodie
- Radish Top Pesto by Our Good Life
- Carrot Ravioli with Broccoli-Ricotta Filling by Caroline’s Cooking
- Farmers Market Pizza by Simply Healthy Family
- Farmstand Kebobs with Tahini Dipping Sauce by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gemista (Greek Stuffed Tomatoes) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Halibut with Sugar Snap Peas, Mushrooms and Potatoes en Papillote by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Spaghetti and Zoodles with Vegetable Bolognese by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Pesto by Tasting Page
- Squash Blossom, Zucchini and Gouda Frittata by FoodieTots
- Sweet Corn Chowder with Crabmeat by The Redhead Baker
- Vegetable and Chicken Shish Kabobs by The Freshman Cook
- Ziti with Bacon and Greens by Cooking Chat
- Chaussons aux Pommes by Food Lust People Love
- Classic Peach Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Dairy Free Peach Mango Lassis with Coconut Whipped Cream by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Lemon Curd Raspberry Crumb Bars by Wallflour Girl
- Lemon Tart by Brunch with Joy
- Peach Berry Cocktail by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Peach Cobbler with Blueberry Biscuits by Food Done Light
- Raspberry Rhubarb Sweet Rolls by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Triple Cherry Crisp by Pies and Plots