Slow Cooker Root Beer Pulled Pork
It’s a heat wave here at #SundaySupper this week, and we are all giving you recipes to #BeatTheHeat. Just because it’s summer, and has been over 97° for almost a week straight, and you’d rather be at the beach or the pool doesn’t mean you don’t want to enjoy a meal like this…
I do actually enjoy making homemade barbecue sauce. And I certainly enjoy a nice pork butt thrown on the smoker. But sometimes you gotta use a little help from the store and the Crock Pot. Especially when the mercury is rising, and there are so many other things you’d rather be doing than slaving over the stove or grill or smoker. So there is nothing fancy about this recipe, but it is oh-so-easy and oh-so-good. The root beer keeps the meat moist and tender, so you can even go with leaner cut of pork (I used a pork loin roast), and adds a delicious herbal note. Just pile it on your plate or a roll, slather on your favorite barbecue sauce (when I am not making Dinosaur Bar-B-Que‘s Mutha’ Sauce, I am all about the Stubb’s Original), and sink your teeth into it.
I don’t often get to have a nice #SundaySupper with my mom, stepfather, and sister, like we did for so many years. So I was happy to make this for them last Sunday, and the fact that we were going on our second day in a row of 100° heat didn’t matter. Just a little corn on the cob, and some tomato cucumber salad. It was nice to enjoy a delicious meal that required pretty much no effort, so that we could focus on sharing the time together.
And, by the way, totally Bug-Approved!
Though truthfully, what he was really into was the corn.
Check out all of the great recipes for the dog days of summer at the bottom of this post. Then, make sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day on Sunday, and at 3:00 p.m. EST for our weekly #SundaySupper Twitter chat! All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, or you can follow us through TweetChat! We’ll be sharing great recipes and tips all afternoon, and we’ll be talking all things #BeatTheHeat during our chat!
What is your favorite thing to cook or eat when Mother Nature has turned up the heat?
Slow Cooker Root Beer Pulled Pork
- Pork loin roast tenderloin, or butt, as large a piece as you need
- Salt pepper, and, if desired, your favorite barbecue seasoning or rub (optional)
- Root beer
- Your favorite homemade or bottled barbecue sauce
- Rolls if desired
- Season the pork with salt and pepper, and seasoning mix or rub, if using.
- Place the pork in your slow cooker, and pour over enough root beer to almost cover it.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove the pork and discard the liquid.
- Shred the pork and serve with the barbecue sauce, on rolls if desired.
- Alternatively, if you want to keep it warm or put it out at a party, return the shredded meat to the crock pot and pour the barbecue sauce over it. Stir, and keep on low or keep warm setting.
Looking for some more slow cooker recipes, no stove required?
The #SundaySupper team has embraced this week’s theme like champs, coming up with all sorts of recipes, drinks, and dishes to beat that summer heat! Here’s a sneak peek of the dishes that will be served up in the #BeatTheHeat #SundaySupper this week
- Refreshing Chunky Shrimp Salsa ~ The Weekend Gourmet
- Totally Cool Green Hummus ~ My Kitchen and I
- Smoked Whitefish Salad Bagel Bites ~ Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Watermelon and Goat Cheese Bites ~ Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Strawberry Gazpacho ~ Diabetic Foodie
- Grilled Loaded Baked Potato Skins ~ In the Kitchen with KP
- Sweet & Tangy Chili Lime Fruit Salad ~ Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
#BeatTheHeat Salads, Soups, & Sides:
- Cool Cucumber Salad ~ Momma’s Meals
- Lemony Garbanzo Kale Salad with Tuna ~ Shockingly Delicious
- Hungarian Cucumber Salad Recipe – Uborkasaláta Recept ~ The Watering Mouth
- Tomato Salad with Macadamia Cheese ~ Cooking’s Good Vegetarian Cafe
- Char-Grilled Corn Salad ~ The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Summertime Sweet Pea Salad ~ Granny’s Down Home Southern Cooking
- Apple and Poppy Seed Coleslaw ~ Damn Delicious
- Cold Cucumber and Rice Salad ~ Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Chilly Dilly Cucumber Soup with Shrimp ~ Comfy Cuisine
- Mom’s Creamy Pea Salad ~ Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Greek (Yogurt) Potato Salad ~ Family Foodie
#BeatTheHeat Main Dishes:
- Rainbow Slaw with Steak and Chipotle Crema ~ Cooking By The Seat of our Pants
- Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken ~ Make Dinner Easy
- Rolling with Kimbap ~ Kimchi Mom
- Ranch Chicken Tacos ~ Pippi’s In The Kitchen Again
- Serrano Ham, Mozzarella and Arugula Sandwiches ~ Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Slow Cooker Root Beer Pulled Pork ~ Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- No Bake Pizza ~ The Meltaways
- Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream ~ Supper for a Steal
- No-Cook Egg-Free Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream ~ Chocolate Moosey
- Peach Sorbet ~ Magnolia Days
- Icebox Chocolate Pie ~ Doggie at the Dinner Table
- Honey and Elderflower Ice Cream ~ Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Blackberry Lavender Popsicles ~ Girlichef
- Frozen Chocolate Bananas ~ In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Strawberry-Lime Margarita Ice Cream ~ Cookistry
- Elegant Fruit Jellies ~ Happy Baking Days
- Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches ~ That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream ~ Baker Street
- Vanilla Peach Swirl Frozen Yogurt ~ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Espresso and Toasted Almond Semifreddo ~ The Messy Baker
- Mango Ice Cream ~ Queen’s Notebook
- Raspberry Mousse ~ Basic and Delicious
- White Apricot & Honeysuckle Sorbet ~ Family Spice
- Biscoff Ice Cream Cupcakes ~ Juanita’s Cocina
#BeatTheHeat Drinks & Cocktails:
- Shirley Temple ~ Cravings of a Lunatic
- Prickly Pear White Wine Spritzer ~ Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Classic Daquiri ~ Katherine Martinelli
- Salty Lassi ~ Soni’s Food for Thought
- Blueberry Mint Lemonade ~ Pescetarian Journal
- Sweet Basil & Cucumber Melon Smoothie ~ Daily Dish Recipes
Wine Pairings Provided By: ENOFYLZ