#SundaySupper is bring us back to the lazy hazy days of summers past with Over 40 Nostalgic Summer Recipes. I combined two of my childhood favorites into these gooey chocolate- and marshmallow-filled, no-campfire-required Gluten Free S’Mores Magic Bars.
Gluten Free S’Mores Magic Bars
One of the reasons I love Sunday Supper so much is that the themes often inspire me to create and share recipes that might not have popped into my head otherwise. Usually an idea comes to me pretty quickly once I see the newest theme. But for some reason, this one stumped me. When I think back to the summers of my childhood, nothing really jumped out at me to make.
Some of the things that stick with me the most are so simple, and not really recipes. Things like crisp corn on the cob, grilled hot dogs, liverwurst sandwiches (did I really eat that stuff?!), fresh tomatoes and cucumbers doused with Italian dressing, or bagels with melted butter and cheese, which was the snack or lunch of choice for my friend Cindy and I on days filled with things like swimming in the pool, playing Bubble Bobble on the Nintendo, riding bikes to the craft store, or making friendship bracelets or some other random craft.
The other foods that remind me of summer when I was a kid are all those frozen treats like ice cream sandwiches, freeze pops, and, ah yes, that lemon or cherry Italian ice that you’d scrape out of a cup with a little wooden spoon. The thought of making Italian ice crossed my mind, but for some reason these things just feel like they should stay in their wrappers where they belong. Trying to “upgrade” them by making them from scratch just feels like it’s not going to be true to the feelings of nostalgia they evoke in their original forms.
As you can see, my palate has changed quite a bit from when I was a kid, but I think I might have loved these just as much when I was little as I do now…
Since recreating something just didn’t feel right to me, I decided to do a mashup of a couple childhood favorites, and then turn it into a wheat free treat that I can still enjoy. One summertime memory I have is of campfires in my dad’s backyard where we would roast hot dogs, corn on the cob, Campfire Potatoes, and s’mores. Then I also remember my mom’s friend having this big picnic every summer, and nearly every year she brought Magic Bars. So I figured, why not combine the two, and make Gluten Free S’Mores Magic Bars!
It’s amazing what some almond meal, butter, honey, and cinnamon can do when combined to make a simple flourless crust that tastes just like a graham cracker crust. Load that up with sweetened condensed milk, milk chocolate, and plenty of marshmallows that get perfectly toasty in the oven and you have a gooey sweet treat that nobody can resist.
Now excuse me for a second while I go grab another one…
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here:Sunday Supper Movement.
Then go back in the day with all of the Nostalgic Summer Recipes at the bottom of this post.
What food brings you back to the summers of your childhood?
For more yumminess from me and my foodie friends, keep up with me on…
Or sign up to have Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered straight to your Inbox!
- 5 Tablespoons melted butter
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups almond meal, lightly packed
- one 14 oz, can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 1.55 oz. Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bars (this is the only size that is gluten free), coarsely chopped, or about 1 cup milk chocolate chips or other chopped milk chocolate
- 1½ cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a 9x13 inch pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together the melted butter, honey, salt, and cinnamon, then stir in the almond meal until well-mixed and moist.
- Pour the crust mixture into the lined pan and press down firmly to form an even, tightly packed layer.
- Pour about three-quarters of the sweetened condensed milk over the crust layer, and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle with the chocolate and marshmallows, then drizzle with the remaining sweetened condensed milk.
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until the marshmallows are lightly browned.
- Let the pan cool completely before you cut it into bars.
Enjoy this Gluten Free S’Mores Magic Bars recipe!
Here are some more gluten free gooey treats…
- Flourless Peanut Butter Cup Swirl Brownies
- Flourless Fluffernutter Thumbprint Cookies
- Gluten Free Deep Dish Chocolate Chip Cookies for Two
And the rest of the #SundaySupper Summertime Recipes from years past…
- Blueberry Lavender Lemonade by Beauty and the Beets
- Natural Pink Pineapple Lemonade by Food Lust People Love
- Rhubarb Muffins by Wholistic Woman
- Strawberry Cream Cheese French Toast by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Gazpacho Shooters by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled BLT Kebabs by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Strawberry Fruit Dip by Books n’ Cooks
- Classic Shrimp Roll Sliders by Crazed Mom
- How to Cook Hot Dogs by Life Tastes Good
- Wiener Schnitzel by Caroline’s Cooking
- Baked Beans by Magnolia Days
- Creamy Ranch Potato Salad by Dash of Evans
- Grilled Zucchini Salad by Sunday Supper Movement
- Seven-Layer Salad with Bacon and Peas by The Hungry Goddess
- Southern Fried Squash by Peaceful Cooking
- Spätzlesalat (German Spaetzle Pasta Salad) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Summer’s Best Tomato Cucumber Salad by Delaware Girl Eats
- Ambrosia Salad by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Bavarian Almonds by Palatable Pastime
- Blueberry Cobbler by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Boardwalk Funnel Cake by The Redhead Baker
- Buttermilk Pound Cake by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- DIY Drumsticks by A Mind Full Mom
- Double Corn Buttermilk Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Frosted Grapes by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Gluten Free S’mores Magic Bars by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Homemade Banana Pudding by Cooking with Carlee
- Homemade Drumsticks by Pies and Plots
- Japanese Melon Ice Cream by Ninja Baker
- Lemon Coconut Bars by The Finer Cookie
- Lemonade Pie with Sugar Cone Crust by Dizzy, Busy and Hungry
- Poke Cake by Our Good Life
- Maple Sugar Candy by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Mom’s Rhubarb Cake by Monica’s Table
- Nana’s No-Bake Cheesecake Squares by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake by The Freshman Cook
- Pudding Pops by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Root Beer Float Ice Cream Sandwiches by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Sherbet Float by Cookin’ Mimi
- Strawberry Jello Angel Food Cake by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Strawberry Jello Pie by Tramplingrose
- Tita’s Fruit Dessert by Basic N Delicious
- Toasted Coconut Puppy Chow by Helpful Homemade
- Watergate Salad by Flavor Mosaic