This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Chocolate-Covered Cheesecake Strawberries are a simple sweet treat that is sure to impress. Everybody loves chocolate dipped strawberries, but when they are stuffed with lightly sweetened cream cheese, they become a treat that nobody can resist. And this easy no-bake dessert recipe has only five ingredients, plus they are gluten free. Add some sprinkles, chopped nuts, graham cracker crumbs, or a light dusting of powdered sugar to make them as pretty as they are decadently delicious.
Originally posted on June 21, 2012. Updated with additional information and new photos on February 3, 2020.
In my early days of blogging, I honestly don’t know what possessed me sometimes.
You see, I made these amazing little treats. Were they just plain old chocolate-covered strawberries? No! Take a look inside.
Yes! Cheesecake! Inside the strawberry!! It’s like two of the best desserts all in one. And sort of decadent but kind of healthy all at the same time.
Perfectly on-brand for the whole concept of Cupcakes & Kale Chips. Exceptionally delicious. Simple to make with ingredients you might already have in your kitchen. Really pretty without a lot of fuss. And gluten free without needing to buy special gluten free ingredients.
Then I took photos of them with a martini glass turned upside down to create kind of a dome over one of the strawberries with another one perched on top. I cut open a couple and laid them on a glass trivet-type ting for displaying a wine bottle that I never used for that purpose because I’m not that fancy. And then I piled some of the cheesecake strawberries on a crystal dish and stood them up on a cake platter. If you’d like to see some of these lovely photos, they are at the bottom of the post.
But seriously, I don’t think this recipe has seen the light of day or been made by anyone because really, would you pin or share a photo of chocolate covered strawberries perched on an upside-down martini glass?
I didn’t think so.
And that’s a shame because these little gems deserve to be made. And eaten. Because I’ll say it again. Chocolate. Covered. Cheesecake. Stuffed. Strawberries.
Go ahead, eat five.
Chocolate Covered Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries
I’m sure you’ve enjoyed chocolate-covered strawberries at some point. And there are tons of recipes for cheesecake-stuffed strawberries. But this combines these two irresistible treats into one mouthwatering little bit. And it might seem seriously indulgent, but you can indulge almost guilt-free! You see, the simple cheesecake filling is just a lightly sweetened cream cheese. Between the juicy strawberries and dark chocolate, there is no need to make that filling so sweet it hurts your teeth.
And we all know dark chocolate is good for use, right?!
You even have the option to use a low carb sweetener and sugar free chocolate, so they can actually be keto-friendly. I know that’ll win some hearts!
Speaking of hearts, wouldn’t it be nice to treat your sweetheart to some cheesecake stuffed strawberries for Valentine’s Day after grilling Filet Mignon or enjoying Penne with Vodka Sauce? I think so!
What do you need to make cheesecake strawberries dipped in chocolate?
- Strawberries – about 1 to 1 1/2 pounds. Slightly larger strawberries are easier to fill and hold more filling, but you can use any size. Be sure they are washed and dried thoroughly so the chocolate sticks.
- Cream cheese – I typically use light cream cheese for a little less calories and fat, but you can use full-fat cream cheese. I do not usually recommend fat free cream cheese as it does not have the best flavor and texture, but technically it can be used in this recipe.
- Powdered sugar – if you want to make these low carb, you can use a powdered erythritol sweetener, like Swerve Confectioners Sweetener.
- Vanilla extract
- Chocolate – you can use chocolate chips. However, a coating chocolate, like melting wafers, melt more easily and more smoothly, harden better, and usually have a better appearance without streaks or an ashy finish. Just be sure the brand you are using is gluten free, if that is a concern for you. Again, you can use sugar free chocolate to make these low carb.
PRO TIP: Change things up and make White Chocolate Strawberries with Sprinkles!
- Chopped nuts – walnuts, pecans, or almonds are all good choices
- Graham cracker crumbs – use gluten free, if needed
- Mini chocolate chips
- Powdered sugar
- Paring knife and/or strawberry huller
- Small bowls
- Mini spatulas
- Piping bag or heavy duty plastic storage bag
- Wax paper or parchment paper
How do you hollow out a strawberry?
- Wash and dry the strawberries thoroughly.
- If the leaves are large and getting in the way, pull them off.
- Using a paring knife, carefully cut around the stem to hollow out the middle of the strawberry. Alternatively, a strawberry huller is a great tool for quickly and easily removing the hulls of a lot of strawberries at once. However, for this recipe, depending on how much filling you want in your strawberries, you may still have to make the cavity a little larger with a paring knife.
How to make chocolate covered strawberries stuffed with cream cheese:
- Wash and dry the strawberries, then remove the stems and hull. Hollow out more if needed. Set aside. BRIANNE’S PRO TIP: Be sure the strawberries are thoroughly dried to ensure the chocolate sticks better.
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla, and stir until smooth.
- Transfer to a piping bag or plastic bag, cut off the tip, and pipe into the cavity in the strawberries.
- Melt chocolate.
- Dip cheesecake end of the strawberries into the chocolate, then into the optional decorations, if desired.
- Place dipped side down on wax paper or parchment paper to allow the chocolate to harden.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
Do you have to put chocolate covered strawberries in the fridge?
Yes, these must be stored in the refrigerator. Strawberries get soft and can spoil easily, and since the cheesecake filling is made with cream cheese, it can’t be kept at room temperature for an extended period of time. For the best quality, I recommend eating these the day they are made or by the next day. But if you keep them in a sealed container, they will stay good for two or three days, depending on how fresh your strawberries are.
Chocolate Covered Cheesecake Strawberries Recipe
Simple chocolate dipped strawberries become extra special when you turn them into cheesecake stuffed strawberries before dunking them in a pool of luscious melted chocolate. Treat someone special to this delightfully simple but decadently delicious dessert. Or get the kids in the kitchen because these are easy to make and fun to eat. And with just a bit of sugar and good dark chocolate, they become a healthier way to indulge that is naturally gluten free.
Chocolate-Covered Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries
- 1-1 1/2 lb strawberries, washed and dried
- 4 oz. regular or light cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon powdered sugar or powdered sugar free sweetener, like Swerve
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips, chopped chocolate, or candy melts
- Optional sprinkles, chopped nuts, crushed graham crackers, etc.
- Remove the hull from the strawberries, and, using a paring knife, cut a slightly larger cavity into the strawberry. You can also use a strawberry huller, but you might still want to cut a larger opening.
- In a small bowl, combine the light cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla, and stir until smooth.
- Using a piping bag or plastic storage bag with the tip cut off, pipe the cheesecake filling into the strawberries.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave, or over a pot of simmering water. Follow package directions, if given. Otherwise, microwave in 15-30 second increments, stirring after each interval until melted.
- Dip the cheesecake end into the chocolate, then into the graham crackers, nuts, or sprinkles, if desired.
- Stand up on the chocolate-dipped end.
- Store in the refrigerator until serving.
- Strawberries and Whipped Cream Cake or Gluten Free Cake with Strawberries and Whipped Cream
- Strawberry Cheesecake Smoothie
- Strawberry Cheesecake Frozen Yogurt Popsicles
- Low Carb Strawberry Cheesecake Parfaits
- Strawberry Fluff Dip from Wine & Glue
- Homemade Ice Cream Cake
- S’Mores Chocolate Pudding Pie
- Maple Blueberry Cheesecake Parfaits
- Peach No-Bake Cheesecake Bars
- Gluten Free No-Bake Cookies from Flippin’ Delicious