Strawberries and Cream Cake
Strawberries and Cream Cake has layers of white cake with strawberries and whipped cream for a totally heavenly spring and summer dessert recipe. It doesn’t get any more simple and perfect than this for a Memorial Day or 4th of July cake recipe to serve for those holidays or any summertime celebration, which is why it’s one of the best picnic desserts. And if you are making this cake for someone with celiac disease or a gluten allergy, check out this Gluten Free Strawberries and Cream Cake recipe.
How to Make Strawberry and Cream Cake
Classic white cake, homemade whipped cream, and fresh strawberries come together in one of the most classic dessert combinations of all time. While you can use any cake recipe you like, or even a box cake mix, the white buttermilk cake in this recipe is the perfect color flavor, and texture for the strawberry and cream combinations. But I will say that making freshly whipped cream is a must.
Strawberries and Cream Cake has always been a special cake recipe in my family, and the actual one you see in these photos is extra-special. My grandpa had just turned 85. This man truly loves this country. One of my favorite memories of him is when he said the blessing at my wedding reception.
He gave the usual, “May God bring much joy and happiness to the bride and groom and may they have a long, wonderful life together, and bless the food we are about to eat, blah blah blah.” It was nice and all, but the best part was at the end, he didn’t know how to wrap it up, so he just blurts out, “And God Bless America!” Now anytime we say grace together as a family, that is usually how we end our prayer.
This was both his and my grandma’s favorite cake, and I have often made it for his birthday, since it falls in June, right during strawberry season. I made it for grandma sometimes, too, but her birthday was in January – which is not prime time for berries everywhere, but I know on the East Coast we can usually find some Florida strawberries in January, which is the prime of their season.
How Do You Make Strawberries and Cream Cake?
- In the recipe below, you’ll see that I provide an easy from-scratch cake recipe, which is this delicious White on White Buttermilk Cake from Bakespace that I had also used for this Yankees Pinstripe Cake. It’s the basic creaming of butter and sugar, then alternately adding dry ingredients before pouring into pans and baking. But this one uses buttermilk which makes it tender and with a flavor that pairs perfectly with the richness of the whipped cream.
- If you don’t have buttermilk, you can use 1 1/2 tablespoons of vinegar plus enough milk to equal one cup, or a cup of milk with half a cup of Greek yogurt.
- As a kid, I used just a white cake mix, which is totally fine too.
- But always use fresh strawberries and whipped cream.
- Toss the strawberries in a teaspoon or two of sugar and let them sit so the juices release.
- Put the bowl that you’ll use for whipping the cream in the freezer for a few minutes and use very cold heavy cream to help it whip better. Try to whip it just before you are going to assemble the cake.
- You can serve the cake right away, but I recommend making it a few hours in advance or the night before so that the cake gets super moist from absorbing some of the moisture from the whipped cream.
- However, I wouldn’t recommend storing leftovers for more than a day or so. It tastes best when fairly fresh.
Not that you’ll have too many leftovers. I’ll tell you, I made two cakes, and at the end of the party, this is all that was left.
Since you have berries on the brain, you may want to know…
What can I make with strawberries?
- Strawberry Shortcake Trifle takes traditional strawberry shortcake and turns it into a layered dessert perfect for a party.
- Strawberry Cheesecake French Toast Roll-Ups will have the kids running to the table for breakfast.
- Strawberry Chocolate Chip Greek Yogurt Cheesecake is a decadent but healthy way to enjoy delicious cheesecake flavors in a fun way.
- Basil Balsamic Strawberries and Whipped Feta Grilled Cheese gives a sweet and savory and super creamy spin to classic grilled cheese.
- And here are over 30 Strawberry Desserts and 20 Savory Strawberry Recipes.
My friends also have some amazing strawberry treats. Brownie Strawberry Shortcake from Real Housemoms adds a chocolaty twist to the original. Strawberry Salsa with Pie Crust Chips from Crazy for Crust is going to be a hit at your next party. And if you don’t want to make a big cake, you can make Homemade Strawberry Cupcakes from Grandbaby Cakes.
So Happy Forever Birthdays Grandpa and GOD BLESS AMERICA!!
Want to chat with fellow foodies? Join the No-Fuss Food and Fun group on Facebook to share recipes and ideas, ask and answer questions, and tell everyone what you’re making for dinner! Request to join HERE.
For more no-fuss wholesome meals and snacks with a sprinkle of sweet treats, keep up on…
Or sign up to have the weekly newsletter from Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered straight to your Inbox!
What do you need to make Strawberries and Cream Cake?
Products from Amazon.com
- Price: $11.00Was: $14.49
- Price: $329.00Was: $499.99
- Price: $11.99
- Price: Check on Amazon
- Price: $3.16
- Price: $5.12Was: $8.00
- Price: $7.99Was: $9.34
I hope you’ll leave a comment and give it a FIVE STAR rating or share a photo on this pin on Pinterest!
Strawberries and Cream Cake has layers of white cake filled with strawberries and covered in fresh whipped cream for a heavenly, classic dessert.
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 teaspoon sugar (or more, depending on how sweet your strawberries are)
- 1 pint heavy cream, well chilled
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional whole or sliced strawberries for decorating the cake
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line three 9-inch round cake pans with parchment on the bottom and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set bowl aside.
In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy.
Add the egg whites and vanilla extract and beat on medium for about a minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
Keep the mixer running on medium speed and add about a third of the flour mixture, beating until incorporated. Do the same with about half the buttermilk. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, and repeat, ending with with the flour mixture.
Divide the mixture evenly between the cake pans. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or lightly browned, and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Cool in the pans on racks for about 10 minutes before removing the cakes from the pans to cool completely on the racks.
- Combine the strawberries and sugar in a small bowl, and set aside to allow the juices to release.
- Place the bowl and whisk attachment for your stand mixer or a metal or glass bowl and beaters for your hand mixer in the fridge or freezer until they are cold.
- Add the cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla to the chilled bowl, and beat on medium-high to high speed until soft peaks form. Do not overbeat, or you will get butter.
- Place 1 layer of the cake on a plate, and spread with about a half cup of the whipped cream. Layer on the sliced strawberries (about half, if you are doing a 3 layer cake, all if you are doing 2 layers.
- Spread about another half cup of whipped cream on top of the strawberries.
- Top with the second cake layer, and, if you are doing 3 layers, repeat with the berries and whipped cream.
- Top with the final cake layer, and spread the remaining whipped cream over the top and sides of the cake to cover completely.
- Garnish with the whole and/or sliced strawberries, as desired.
Buttermilk Cake Recipe from Bakespace
If you are making the cake in advance, store in the refrigerator.