#SundaySupper is firing up the grill for the over thirty of the biggest, baddest burgers and dogs. Hamburgers and hot dogs are synonymous with summer, but sometimes you are craving classic Italian comfort food. Grab a ciabatta roll or a couple portobella mushrooms (for a gluten free and low carb option) because there’s no need to heat up your kitchen to enjoy these seasoned, saucy, and cheesy Meatball Parmesan Burgers.
Meatball Parmesan Burgers
As you may or may not know, depending on how long you’ve been reading the blog, I have a gluten allergy. Nobody else in my family does, and I’m not so sensitive that I have to worry about cross-contamination, which is why I don’t have an exclusively gluten free blog. I still make muffins and cookies and such for my kids.
Honestly, other than feeling like a pain in the butt when we go out to eat with friends or extended family who aren’t used to what I can and cannot have, it’s not really a big deal to me, and I don’t miss many things. I’ve never been biggest pasta eater, and I actually prefer zoodles and spaghetti squash now, though there is some darn good gluten free pasta when I am in the mood. I’ve found a few places where I can get decent gluten free pizza and a few recipes to make it myself that fill the void. Skipping the bread basket leaves me room for even tastier stuff. I’ll choose my morning oatmeal over muffins and pastries anyday. And give me ice cream cake over regular cake, thank you very much.
Sometimes, though, I crave a burger. Doesn’t seem like an issue with gluten, right? I mean, it’s beef.
Well yeah, I could stick a knife and a fork into my patty and eat it like a steak, and I do that most of the time. But sometimes I just want to wrap my hands around a big burger, bun and all. There’s something satisfying and comforting about it. Sadly, most gluten free rolls don’t stand up to a really good, thick burger that is super juicy and oozing with cheese, so I will say, that is one thing that I do truly miss.
However, this is not a bad alternative for those looking for a gluten free or low carb option…
Especially when your burger tastes like meatballs!! That portobella bun was actually quite delicious especially since it was cooked on the grill alongside those burgers. But for those of you whom I am going to live through vicariously, I’d suggest a nice ciabatta roll…
Especially when you are making these Meatball Parmesan Burgers. It’s everything you love about a meatball sub, only you don’t have to roll a million little balls or turn on your oven to heat up your kitchen in the blazing hot summer. Just flavor up your ground beef as you would your favorite meatballs – I simple used garlic, parmesan cheese, parsley, salt, and pepper – and make patties instead of balls. A little indentation in the middle of the patty keeps it from expanding too much in the middle and leaves a nice little crevice to sneak in some sauce before covering with cheese for the last couple minutes of grilling.
Pile it high with lettuce and tomato on that ciabatta or grilled mushrooms, slather on some more sauce if you wish, and you have a burger that’ll make any Italian nonna proud!
Even if nonna has decided to go low carb or gluten free herself 🙂
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here:Sunday Supper Movement.
Then check out all of the hot dog and hamburger recipes at the bottom of this post!
For more yumminess from me and my foodie friends, keep up with me on…
Or sign up to have Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered straight to your Inbox!
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 clove garlic, minced or crushed
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 2 Tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- about 6 Tablespoons tomato sauce, plus aditional for serving, if desired
- 6 slices mozzarella cheese
- six ciabatta rolls (or twelve "slider" size portobella mushrooms, stems and gills removed, rubbed with about a teaspoon of olive oil and sprinkled with a bit of kosher salt)
- romaine lettuce
- sliced roma tomatoes
- portobellos, remove stem and gills - 450 for 10 minutes with a teaspoon or two of oil
- Indentation in meat
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, garlic, salt, pepper, parmesan cheese, and parsley. Gently mix together until thoroughly combined. Divide into six equal-sized balls and press into patties. Using your thumb, make an indentation into the middle of each patty.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Grill for 5-6 minutes per side to desired doneness. For the last couple minutes of grilling, flip to have the side with the indentation up, and top with a tablespoon of tomato sauce and a slice of mozzarella cheese.
- If you are using portobella buns, grill the mushrooms alongside the burgers or roast in a 450°F oven for about 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Place burgers on rolls or portobellas and top with romaine lettuce and sliced tomatoes. Serve with additional tomato sauce, if desired.
Enjoy this Meatball Parmesan Burgers recipe!
Or the Low Carb Meatball Parmesan Burgers Recipe!
Here are some more of my favorite hamburgers and hot dogs…
- Merlot Onion Burgers
- Peruvian Turkey Burgers with Aji Sauce
- Buffalo, Blue Cheese, and Bacon Hot Dogs
Plus the rest of the #SundaySupper menu…
All American Burgers & Dogs
- BLT Burgers by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bourbon BBQ Bacon Burger Sliders by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Bourbon Onion Bacon Dog by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Chicago Style Hot Dog by The Culinary Compass
- Copycat Guberburgers by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Idaho Dogs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Philly Cheesesteak Dog by Palatable Pastime
- Pimento Cheese Burger by Magnolia Days
- Southern Seasoned Beef Burger by April Go Lightly
- The Best Ever Bacon, Egg and Cheese Burger by The Chef Next Door
- The SmashBurger by Monica’s Table
- Whiskey Burgers by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Burgers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chicken Parmesan Burgers by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Chicken Satay Burger with Peanut Sauce by Baking Sense
- Chicken Tikka Burgers by Sunday Supper Movement
- Miso Glazed Chicken Burgers by Sew You Think You Can Cook
Worldly Burgers & Dogs
- Blue Cheese Burger with Fig Jam by Garden Matter
- Caprese Burgers by The Redhead Baker
- Cheddar Stuffed Taco Burger by My Life Cookbook
- Dominican Chimichurri Burgers by The Crumby Cupcake
- Guacamole Cilantro Lime Cheeseburger by Life Tastes Good
- Hot Dog Maki Roll by kimchi MOM
- Meatball Parmesan Burgers by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Portuguese Hamburger by Family Foodie
- Salchipapas (Peruvian Sausages and Potatoes) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Smoky Sliders with Chipotle Mayo by Cooking on the Ranch
- Spicy Shishito Dog by Brunch-n-Bites
Where’s the Beef Burgers
- Baby Back Rib Burger by The Freshman Cook
- Brown Rice & Lamb Burgers with Spinach by Wholistic Woman
- Fish Taco Burgers by Pies and Plots
- Greek Lamb Burgers with Blistered Tomatoes and Tzatziki Spread by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Miso Tuna Burgers by Caroline’s Cooking
- The Perfect Lentil Burger by Food Lust People Love
Where’s the Bun Burger
- Gluten Free Dessert Hamburgers by Gluten Free Crumbley
- How to make Salmon Burgers with Mango Salsa by Asian In America
- How to Pan-fry Bratwurst by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- The Ultimate #SundaySupper Hamburger and Hotdog Wine Pairing Guide by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog