The Big Daddy of all football games is just a week away, and #SundaySupper is here with a full menu of The Best Football Food, from appetizers and main dishes to drinks and desserts. It’s not a party unless there’s ooey, gooey, cheesy dips, so I was inspired by a New Jersey breakfast staple to make this Hot Pork Roll and Cheese Dip recipe for the Big Game.
Hot Pork Roll and Cheese Dip
I run the risk of alienating some of my readers with this recipe. Some of you follow my blog for my healthy meals and snacks for the family. Others like that I try to use a lot of non-processed ingredients. Then there’s that group that enjoys checking out my sweet treats and decadent desserts. This is none of the above. This, my friends, is pork roll, aka Taylor ham, but if you are serious about this lovely log of porky goodness, you are going to call it pork roll. Ground up pork, spiced and seasoned to perfection, then packed into a cotton bag to form that well-known tube shape. Just like a good Jersey diner or bagel shop, slice it, pan fry it, then pile it onto a bagel or Kaiser roll with eggs and cheese and you have a true Garden State classic. Pork roll has a cult following. There’s even a festival dedicated to it. After my aunt, uncle, and cousins moved to Kentucky, every time they came for a visit to New Jersey they brought along a cooler and ice packs for the sole purpose of stocking it with pork roll. People are serious about their pork roll. As a kid I was never much into eggs, so my dad would just make me pork roll and cheese on a bagel for a special breakfast when I would visit him on the weekend. My mom would fry some up in a pan and put it on a hamburger roll with ketchup for a quick and easy dinner. I’m not going to even try to attempt to convince you that there’s any redeeming nutritional value in pork roll. I’ll be honest, I pretty much never eat it anymore. In fact, before I made this recipe, I can’t remember the last time I ate it. So for that reason, I’m not going to defend the fact that I was eating this by the spoonful… Yes, guys, I went there. I made Hot Pork Roll and Cheese Dip. Browned bits of pork roll swimming in a sea of creamy goodness, and topped with even more sharp cheddar cheese. It’s super flavorful, super gooey, super meaty, super cheesy, and super good for that super football game that we will all be watching. I may have opted for spooning it into my mouth, but the obvious dipper for a dish of melty, pork roll-filled goodness – bagel chips naturally. Whether you are a pork roll aficionado or have never tried it before, I guarantee you are going to love this game day snack that’s perfectly spiced with the tangy sharpness of good cheddar cheese. For my gluten free readers, you may need to check the brand of pork roll or Taylor ham you use. While the ones I looked up all said that they do not have any gluten-containing ingredients, some say that they cannoy guarantee that the animals were not fed a wheat-free diet. I am not sure how this could lead to cross-contamination (and let’s be real, I’m not sure I want to know. This is pork roll we are talking about), but if you have a severe allergy or celiac disease, I suppose this could cause an issue. Obviously you also won’t be using the bagel chips, unless you make them with gluten free bagels, but as I said, a spoon is a perfectly acceptable device for delivering this cheesy awesomeness to your mouth.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here:Sunday Supper Movement. Then check out the rest of the #SundaySupper football food menu at the bottom of this post. Game on, people. Game on! What is a classic sandwich from where you are from?
For more yumminess from me and my foodie friends, keep up with me on…
Or sign up to have Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered straight to your Inbox!
Hot Pork Roll and Cheese Dip
The New Jersey Diner classic becomes a fun party appetizer in this cheesy dip recipe.
- one 16 oz package pork roll, diced into 1/4 inch cubes
- 8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature (I used light)
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used nonfat)
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 8 oz. (about 2 cups) shredded cheddar cheese, divided (I used Cabot Seriously Sharp)
- Bagel chips for dipping
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place a skillet over medium heat and brown pork roll for about 8-10 minutes. Drain some of excess grease on paper towels.
- In a bowl, stir together the cream cheese, yogurt, and 6 oz. (about 1½ cups) cheddar cheese until thoroughly combined. Stir in the pork roll.
- Transfer mixture to a glass or ceramic baking dish and spread evenly.
- Top with the remaining 2 oz. (1/2 cup) cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for about 20-25 minutes, or until hot and bubbly, and lightly browned.
- Serve with bagel chips for dipping.
Enjoy! Here are some more cheesy dip recipes…
And some more game day eats on my Pinterest board… Follow Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips’s board Game Day Recipes! on Pinterest. Plus the entire #SundaySupper Big Game lineup… Appetizers and Sides
- Atomic Buffalo Turds by Wholistic Woman
- Avocado Egg Rolls by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Bacon Wrapped Potato Wedges by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Buttermilk Battered Chicken Wings by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Cajun Okra Fries by Food Lust People Love
- Cheddar Sausage Balls by Tramplingrose
- Cheese Board and Baguettes Make for the Start of a Great Game Day Feast by Delaware Girl Eats
- Cheesy Crabmeat Canapés by Meal Planning Magic
- Cheesy Sausage Dip by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Chicken Fajita Nachos by Sweet Mornings
- Chipotle-Ranch Chicken Wings by Casa de Crews
- Corn Dog Muffins by Noshing With The Nolands
- Crock-Pot Bean Dip by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Deep Fried Pimento Cheese and Celery Bites by Granny’s Down Home Sassy Southern Cooking
- Dill Pickle Dip by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Fish Taquitos by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Asian Sweet Chili Wings by Flippin’ Delicious
- Healthy Guacamole Recipe by Real Food Real Deals
- Hogs in a blanket by Cooking on the Ranch
- Hot Pork Roll and Cheese Dip by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Nacho Waffle Fries by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Patatas Pobres for a Crowd by Lydia’s Flexitarian Kitchen
- Pepperoni Pizza Bites by Family Foodie
- Philly Cheesesteak Sliders by Daily Dish Recipes
- Pimento Cheese-Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Dates by The Healthy Fit Foodie
- Rajas by Pook’s Pantry
- Roasted Broccoli Artichoke Dip by Cooking Chat
- Slow Cooker Thai Wings by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Smoky Blender Salsa by What Smells So Good?
- Southwestern Eggroll Cups by A Gouda Life
- Southwestern Flatbread and a “Design Your Own Flatbread” Table by The Freshman Cook
- Spicy Szechuan Shrimp Lettuce Cups by Palatable Pastime
- Sweet and Spicy Hummus by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Texas Caviar by Books n’ Cooks
- Tex-Mex Egg Rolls by Cookin’ Mimi
- Thai Beef Taco Bites by Brunch-n-Bites
- Three Cheese Macaroni Bites by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- BBQ Pulled Pork Sliders With Tangy Warm Cabbage Slaw by Taste And See
- Buffalo Chicken Chili by Monica’s Table
- Cheeseburger Pizza by Life Tastes Good
- Cheesy Cheesesteaks by Family Around The Table
- Emeril’s Chicken and Andouille Gumbo by The Texan New Yorker
- Game Day Chili by Our Good Life
- Handy Beef Buns by Get the Good Stuff
- Lahmacun – Turkish flatbread by Caroline’s Cooking
- New Jersey Sloppy Joe by kimchi MOM
- Pizza Pasta Bake by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pork Italiano Sandwich by The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Puerto Rican Pernil (Garlic Roast Pork) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Ree’s Philly Cheesesteaks by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Slow Cooker Italian Sausage Cheese Bombers by Kitchen Gidget
- Spicy Tuna Croquette Sliders with Avocado Pesto by The Crumby Cupcake
Desserts and Drinks
- Chocolate Football Cookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cinnamon Sugar Chex Mix by Pies and Plots
- Game Day Mocktails by Beauty and the Beets
- Gluten Free Football Potato Candy by Gluten Free Crumbley
- S’more Poutine by Desserts Required
- Super Duper Peanut Butter Cup Popcorn by Only Taste Matters
- Plus Big Game Party Recipes plus Sausage and Peppers Over Cheesy Grits by Sunday Supper Movement