Fun and Easy Witches’ Brew Chocolate Halloween Cupcakes
Chocolate Halloween Cupcakes are topped with fluffy green frosting and decorations to look like a bubbling cauldron of Witches’ Brew. This easy idea starts with your favorite devil’s food cake (box mix and even gluten free is fine), and turns them into an adorable trick-or-treat for your little goblins.
Bringing back this contributor post from a few years ago because it’s too cute not to share again. Originally posted on Oct 8, 2015.
Hello Cupcakes & Kale Chips Readers! Serene from House of Yumm back with you for another cupcake!
I figured a Halloween cupcake was definitely called for today. Which led to these Witches’ Brew Cupcakes! Devil’s Food Chocolate topped with fluffy green frosting and tons of sprinkle ‘bubbles’ to create a bubbly cauldron that any witch (or child, or adult!) would be happy to devour!
Witches’ Brew Cupcakes
Double, double toil and trouble, devil’s food chocolate cupcakes with frosting and bubbles make these as much fun to make as they are to eat. This easy Halloween cupcake idea starts with your favorite chocolate cupcakes and just a few simple decorations to make it look like a cauldron overflowing with a fizzy green potion.
How to make Halloween Cupcakes that look like Witches’ brew…
- Bake your favorite chocolate cupcakes. You can even be sneaky and make them a little healthier and gluten free with these black bean chocolate cupcakes. TIME-SAVING TIP: Use a box mix or pick up some unfrosted cupcakes from the bakery or grocery store.
- Make the super light and airy Cloud Frosting recipe. It’s made with cold cream cheese and heavy whipping cream. The end result is so fluffy and soft it’s slightly unbelievable. TIME-SAVING TIP: No time to make frosting? Canned frosting would be fine to use, too.
- Tint the frosting green and pile it high on the cupcakes to make it look like a potion is bubbling over.
- To create the bubbles, use a variety of sizes of sprinkles. These cupcakes used gumballs and large candy sprinkles from Wilton. You could create the same effect with any of the round ball type sprinkles that are available in most markets though.
The fun of these is you can really add as much or as few ‘bubbles’ as you want! You can also pile on the frosting to make it even MORE bubbly! Hmm..more frosting?? Ok!
What do you use for the Halloween cupcake decorations?
- Be sure to use black cupcake liners so that they really look like a black cauldron.
- Using Wilton Leaf Green Food Gel will achieve the perfect witches’ brew slimy green color
- A piping bag with a Wilton 2A decorating tip is perfect to really load on that frosting and give it the bubbly look.
- The bubbly effect is achieved by using a variety of sizes of sprinkles and decorations, from green gumballs to Wilton Green Sugar Pearl Sprinkles, and even some tiny sugar pearls or nonpareils.
Before the sweet treats, have an easy Halloween dinner…
- Jack O’Lantern Shepherd’s Pie Stuffed Peppers
- Bloody Maria Steak Bites
- Homemade Beefaroni Recipe
- Easy Cube Steak Recipe
For more yumminess from me and my foodie friends, keep up with me on…
Or sign up to have Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered straight to your Inbox!
Check out these cupcakes…
- Coconut Cupcakes
- PB&J-Inspired Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Jelly
- Regular and Gluten Free Lucky Charms Cupcakes
- Caramel Apple Cupcakes from House of Yumm
What are more easy Halloween desserts?
- Count Chocula Cereal Marshmallow Treats
- Reese’s Cake
- Monster Cereal Halloween Brownie Cookies
- Snickers Brownie Bites from House of Yumm
- If that is not enough, check out these 20+ Halloween Treats
Witches’ Brew Easy Halloween Cupcakes Recipe
Making your favorite chocolate cupcake look like it’s boiling over with a fizzy green potion from a black cauldron is super simple. Just bake them in a black cupcake liner, pile them high with fluffy frosting, and then have fun with sprinkles and candies of all sizes. That’s a magical concoction every kid will love to sink their teeth into.
I hope you’ll leave a comment and give it a FIVE STAR rating or share a photo on this pin on Pinterest!
Witches' Brew Cupcakes
- 20 chocolate cupcakes homemade or boxed mix, baked according to directions
- 8 ounces cream cheese cold
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon Leaf Green Food Coloring
- Prepare the cupcakes as according to the cake mix directions.
- Once the cupcakes are cooled, prepare the frosting:
- In large mixing bowl cream together the cold cream cheese and powdered sugar. Add in the vanilla extract and heavy cream.
- Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Add to piping bag with Wilton 2A piping tip. Or use a large plastic bag with the tip cut off. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes into either a swirl or pile the frosting up to create more 'bubbles'.
- Add the gumballs, or large sprinkles, then the smaller sprinkles to create a 'bubbly' appearance.