Make Ahead Breakfast Oatmeal Cups
Make ahead breakfast recipes are time savers for busy mornings! These delicious, gluten-free oatmeal cups are homemade freezer meals that everyone in the family will love! Are you looking for a quick and easy make ahead breakfast that’s nutritious, delicious and fun? Get kids in the kitchen to customize their own breakfast oatmeal cups.
Note: This post has been updated but it was written several years ago. However, I always like to keep the stories as reminders of those periods in my life. I hope you’ll indulge me even if the seasonal references are out of context.
As I use up the rest of the summer fruit in things like Blueberry Peach Fruit Roll-Ups and Blueberry Peach Quinoa Parfaits, I keep hoping the summer will last just a little bit longer. Most of the kids in the country are already back in school. But here in New Jersey we still have a few more days before we dive headfirst into the start of a new school year, with all of the craziness that entails.
For us, this year will be even crazier than ever. The Hubby will be starting his new job out of state on the same day as The Bug starts Pre-K4. And just a few days before that all happens, King Stuff is going to start at daycare a few days a week. This is equal parts awesome and awful. I mean, my baby is getting so big!
But with our house going on the market and preparing for an out-of-state move, getting these busy boys out of the house for at least a few hours a day, a few days a week is pretty much essential for me to maintain my sanity and some amount of cleanliness and order for when the realtor calls and say that someone wants to come over in twenty minutes. As if life wasn’t already busy enough, it’s about to get chaotic!
With hectic mornings ahead, I’m glad I can just pull some make ahead breakfast oatmeal cups from the freezer. They make the perfect tummy-warming breakfast for my kiddos.
These make ahead oatmeal cups are a fun and fabulous way to bring a little creativity to breakfast. Even better, the (not-so) hard work is done ahead of time, not when you’re trying to get everyone up, dressed, fed, and out the door.
How to make the homemade freezer meals:
First, you need an eager helper or two…
And then you get to work…
- First, gather your favorite fruit, nuts, or other toppings (a few chocolate chips always make the kids happy).
- Then prepare the oatmeal.
- Divide the oatmeal between the muffin tins and sprinkle on the toppings in whatever combination you like.
- Next, you’ll slide the muffin pans into the freezer.
- Once the oatmeal cups are frozen, pop them out of the tins and wrap ’em up.
- Then, all you have to do is pull out some frozen oatmeal cups for each of the kids the night before, or even that morning.
- Warm them up in the microwave, splashing on some milk if you like. Breakfast is served, even on the busiest of mornings!
Freezer Oatmeal Make Ahead Breakfast Recipe Tips:
Products from Amazon.com
- Feeezer oatmeal cups can be made gluten free by using certified gluten free oats and gluten free toppings.
- Feel free to adjust the level of sugar or use another sweetener such as honey or maple syrup.
- You know how I mentioned wanting summer to last a bit longer? Choose fresh summer fruits so that you can enjoy blueberries, cherries, and peaches well into the fall.
- When I first made these, I used regular muffin tins and had to pop them out with a butter knife. Now things like silicone muffin pans and silicone cupcake liners are much more common and make removing the freezer oatmeal cups much easier.
What are more quick and easy (and gluten-free) make-ahead breakfast ideas?
- Honey Nut No-Bake Granola Bars
- Gluten-Free Almond Blueberry Mini Muffins
- Broccoli, Potato & Cheese Egg Muffin Cups
- Four Ingredient Fruit Yogurt Snack Hack
My blogging friends have some great ideas for homemade freezer meals, too! Liz has a fantastic gluten-free freezer meal recipe for chicken and black bean burritos.
For more yumminess from me and my foodie friends, keep up with me on…
Or sign up to have Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered straight to your Inbox!
Make Ahead Breakfast Oatmeal Cups Recipe
These delicious, gluten-free freezer oatmeal cups are homemade freezer meals that everyone in the family loves! They are definitely an easy, kid-friendly recipe. Kids are especially happy, customizing their make ahead breakfast with their favorite toppings is fun. Mom is happy, having an easy, healthy and quick freezer meal to serve.
I hope you’ll leave a comment and give it a FIVE STAR rating or share a photo on this pin on Pinterest!
Make Ahead Breakfast Oatmeal Cups (homemade freezer meals)
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats (certified gluten free, if needed)
- ¼ cup brown sugar or demera sugar, to taste
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups milk of choice
- 1 pinch salt
- Assorted chopped fruit nuts, chocolate chips, or other toppings
- Combine the oats, sugar, water, milk, and salt in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook for 2-3 minutes, or to desired consistency. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Spray two 12-cup muffin tins with cooking spray or line with silicone muffin liners (or use a silicone muffin pan) and set out toppings in bowls.
- Divide the cooked oatmeal between the muffin cups, and top each with desired toppings.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for several hours, or until frozen.
- Once frozen, pop out of the muffin tins, loosening with a butter knife or small spatula, if necessary and wrap in sandwich bags or plastic wrap.
- Remove desired number of cups (one to three per serving) from the freezer the night before or day you plan to serve them.
- Warm in the microwave for 1-2 minutes (longer if still frozen), and stir in a little more milk, if desired.
Enjoy! Originally published on Aug 28, 2014.