Step away from the takeout menu and drop the phone…
After the past few months of cookies and holiday traditions and New Year’s parties and bucket lists and retro food and Super Bowl snacks and Valentine’s Day treats, it was time to lighten up #SundaySupper a bit. Are you looking for some delicious whole grains, veggies, and lots of protein, but still want something your kids will eat?
This Cauliflower Fried Rice has it all! The original idea was from Justine of the Full Belly Sisters, and the I saw a slight spin on it from Ann at The Fountain Avenue Kitchen, and I knew I HAD to make it. This was ages and ages ago, and I vowed to make it again, and share with you my take on this amazing recipe. Well, as it seems to go in the life of a food blogger, new recipe inspirations and ideas come up, both from our own heads and from other blogs and new cookbooks. But when Isabel, the Family Foodie, announced this week’s theme, hosted by Sue at Sue’s Nutrition Buzz (check out her blog – she is awesome!), I knew the Cauliflower Fried Rice had to make a comeback to our table.
Somehow, eating healthy means something different to everyone. Some want lower fat and calories, others are looking for lower carbs and more protein, while another group of people may be looking for less meat and more seafood or other non-animal-based proteins. One thing I think we can all agree on – more veggies is always a good thing. I think Cauliflower Fried Rice is the perfect dish to meet all of those nutritional needs.
Substituting cauliflower for some of the rice lowers the carbs and calories, and adds in veggies. Using brown rice ups the whole grain and fiber factor. The dish isn’t cooked with a ton of fat, but you do get some good fats from the coconut or olive oil. I used broccoli and carrots for even more color and veggie action, but you can certainly change these up, and add more or less, depending on your tastes. The main change I made from the original recipe was that I knew, being 35 weeks pregnant and all, that I had to up to protein factor, so I used pork, shrimp, and eggs. But again, these can easily be switched up – chicken, beef, tofu, edamame – or eliminated altogether. You see – equal opportunity nutrition!!
I am not always one for using the “hiding” approach, and actually, The Bug is a fan of cauliflower, but this is a great way to just up the veggie factor without realizing it, and I feel that as long as I continue to offer veggies in their “whole” form, sneaking some in now and then just to get some additional nutrients is not a bad thing. And, since I have to watch my carbs with the gestational diabetes, it does add some more bulk to the recipe without sending my blood sugar through the roof. More food = good!
So definitely give this Cauliflower Fried Rice a try! It will definitely be making more frequent appearances on our table, and I can’t wait to try more variations! And check out this week’s line up of Skinny #SundaySupper recipes at the bottom of this post.
And don’t forget to join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. This week we will be sharing out special skinnified recipes! Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hash tag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Join us Around the Family Table this Sunday at 7pm Eastern Time and share your favorite healthy recipes with us!
Do you ever try to sneak in or hide veggies or other healthy foods?
- one head of cauliflower, raw
- 2 T coconut or olive oil
- 7 scallions, chopped (keep white/light green ends separate from dark green tops)
- 5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 t chopped fresh ginger
- 3-4 c of cooked brown rice, cold
- 2 c steamed broccoli, chopped small
- 1 c steamed sliced carrots
- 4 T reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari (for gluten free), divided
- 1 T sesame oil
- ½-1 lb of your protein of choice (I used ½ lb pork sliced into strips, and about ¼ lb shrimp)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten (optional for vegan)
- Optional toasted sesame seeds and chopped scallion tops, for garnish
- Remove the cauliflower’s tough stem and chop into large florets.
- Place cauliflower into food processor, and pulse until it resembles small rice.
- Heat 1 T coconut or olive oil in a very large skillet or wok, over medium heat.
- Add the white parts of the scallions, garlic, and ginger, and saute for 2 minutes or until the scallions begin to soften.
- Add the cauliflower, stir to coat, spread out in the pan, then allow to cook for several minutes, until it begins to caramelize.
- Stir, then let cook to caramelize again for another several minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium-high, add the remaining coconut or olive oil and the brown rice, and stir to coat completely.
- Spread the mixture in the pan, and cool for 2 or 3 minutes to brown the rice.
- Stir in the broccoli and carrots.
- Make a well in the center of the rice, and add your proteins and 2 T soy sauce (I added the pork first with 1 T soy sauce, then the shrimp and remaining soy sauce).
- Once the proteins are cooked, push to the edges to again make a well, and pour the eggs, if using, in the middle to quickly scramble them.
- Stir the entire contents of the pan together, and stir in the remaining 2 T soy sauce and sesame oil.
- Serve with toasted sesame seeds and/or chopped scallions, if desired.
This week’s line up of recipes is overflowing with delicious skinny versions of appetizers and soup, desserts and sides and of course we couldn’t forget the main dish. There’s a even a few skinny comfort foods which is always a good thing when you’re looking for a low calorie heart warming, comforting meal.
Sizzling Skinny Appetizers & Soups
- Napa Cabbage wrapped Chinese Spring Rolls by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- #DairyFree Cream of Broccoli Soup by Galactosemia in PDX
- Easy Vegan Lentil Soup by NeighborFood
- Spicy Asian Chicken Noodle Soup by Food Lust People Love
- Tomato Basil Soup by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Skinny Beef Chili by Webicurean
Healthy Skinny Mains & Sides
- Chicken with Herb Tomatoes and Pan Sauce by Hezzi D’s Books & Cooks
- Kale Salad with Pomegranates, Apples and Walnuts by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Skinny Salad Wraps by MamaMommyMom
- Mashed Cauliflower by Supper for a Steal
- Lamb Florentine Burger with Tzatziki by Country Girl in the Village
- Skinny Avocado Egg Salad Wraps by The Daily Dish Recipes
- Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad by Family Foodie
- Parchment-Poached Salmon by Simply Gourmet
- Maddy’s Arugula Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cauliflower Pizza by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Light chicken enchiladas by My Cute Bride
- Pear Almond Arugula Salad with Honey Vinaigrette by Vintage Kitchen
- Pasta Primavera by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Cauliflower Fried Rice by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Ahi Tuna Salad by The Urban Mrs
- Soba Noodles with Edamame and Green Onions by Hip Foodie Mom
- Scallops Hong Kong Style by Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Pork and Green Chile Stew by Momma’s Meals
- Roasted Garlic, Chicken & Herb White Pizza by Dinners Dishes and Desserts
- Polynesian Salad with Pineapple Vinaigrette by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Herb Roasted Salmon with Steamed Cabbage & Peas by The Lovely Pantry
- Turkey and Black Bean Taco Burgers by In The Kitchen With K P
- Salmon Tikka Wraps with Cucumber Raita by Soni’s Food
- Whole wheat pasta with Spicy Roasted Cauliflower by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Slow Cooker Baby Back Ribs by I Run For Wine
- Chipotle Black Bean Burgers with Baked Garlic Home Fries by Curious Cuisiniere
- The Ninja Baker’s Sake & Miso Salmon by Ninja Baking
- Roasted Sweet Potato, Quinoa and Black Bean Burgers with Parsnip Fries by Gourmet Drizzles
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Smoked Sausage Cassoulet by The Weekend Gourmet
- Cumin Roasted Cauliflower and Carrots by Mangoes and Chutney
- Italian Sub Salad by Diabetic Foodie
- Swiss Chard and Quinoa Croquettes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Broccoli Patties with Arugula and Champagne Vinaigrette by Sustainable Dad
- Raw Kale Salad with Chickpeas and Salmon in Orange Dressing by Shockingly Delicious
- Greek Yogurt Egg Salad Sandwich by Damn Delicious
- Confetti Cabbage and Salmon Wraps by The Roxx Box
- Escarole and Beans by Midlife Roadtrip
- Cajun Black Beans by Ruffles and Truffles
- Caprese salad by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Skinny Wholegrain Fettuccine Alfredo with Greek Yogurt & Coconut Oil by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Guilt Free Skinny Desserts & Snacks
- Chocolate Avocado Cake by Gotta Get Baked
- Tiramisu Parfaits by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Sugar Free Banana Almond Muffins by What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Coconut Cinnamon Buns by Juanita’s Cocina
- Warm Apple Crumble by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Dark Chocolate-Dipped Apricots by girlichef
- Homemade Protein Bar Recipe by Masala Herb
- Skinny Chocolate Almond Pudding by Basic N Delicious
Wine Pairing Recommendations for Skinny Sunday Supper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog