This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Bomb Pop Cupcakes are made with all the flavors of the classic rocket pop popsicle! With Blue Raspberry, White Lemon, and Red Cherry frosting, these Memorial Day or 4th of July cupcakes are a fun dessert to bring to your summer parties and barbecues! The kids are going to love making and eating this red, white, and blue dessert.
Memorial Day or 4th of July Cupcakes
Do you remember those popsicles with the red, white, and blue?! Bomb Pops!! They scream of happy childhoods. Those tri-flavored popsicles were a staple at any patriotic event growing up. So when I think of Memorial Day or 4th of July BBQs, I always think of a Bomb Pop popsicle. Combine that with my love of cupcakes..and…BAM! Bomb Pop Cupcakes!
I love turning childhood treats into something a little more grown up. Like this Blueberries & Cream Oatmeal I made not too long ago. I also love incorporating the actual treat itself into the recipe, like with these Rainbow Sherbet Cupcakes, they have the sherbet baked into the cake. Well, I tried making the cupcakes with the melted popsicles. And it definitely works. I started with a cake mix and added the eggs required and three melted popsicles. They do bake, they come out with a slight pink color, and a hint of flavor, but they were kind of sticky. Not exactly what I wanted. But if you don’t mind the wrapper slightly sticking to the cupcake, then go for it! It also didn’t give the flavor I was wanting. So instead of using the actual popsicle, I decided to highlight the flavors of the popsicle instead.
Bomb Pop Cupcakes recipe tips:
- This recipe starts with a cake mix, but with some lemon extract to give the cakes a refreshing lemon flavor.
- Using a gluten free cake mix is also an option, though you will have to go with yellow cake instead of white and bake is according to the package directions, just adding some lemon extract.
- Of course you could make cupcakes from scratch, perhaps using Serene’s Perfect Vanilla Cupcake recipe.
- The flavors, colors, and bomb pop style come from the frosting. Start with a fresh buttercream and add:
- Cherry extract and red food coloring for the red cherry frosting
- Lemon extract for the white lemon frosting
- Blue Raspberry Jello powder and blue food coloring for the blue raspberry frosting
- Have fun decorating them too! Try different tips out when frosting. Have fun with it! That’s always my favorite part of making cupcakes!
What do you need to make Bomb Pop Cupcakes?
- Wilton Icing Colors give the vibrant red and blue you need for these Memorial Day or 4th of July cupcakes.
- Cherry extract, lemon extract, and blue Jello provides the bomb pop popsicle flavors.
- Cake mix and a cupcake pan are critical, obviously.
- Red, white, and blue cupcake liners and a simple, inexpensive cake decorating kit with different icing tips give them patriotic flair
For more yumminess from me and my foodie friends, keep up with me on…
Bomb Pop Cupcakes
These cupcakes are as much fun to make as they are to eat. The three different flavors of frosting on top were a huge hit with everyone who tried them! I hope you enjoy these as much as we did! These are perfect dessert for any Memorial Day BBQ or 4th of July party! I hope you’ll leave a comment and give it a FIVE STAR rating and share a photo on this pin on Pinterest!
Bomb Pop Cupcakes
- 1 box white cake mix
- 4 egg whites
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1/2 cup butter or 1 stick at room temperature
- 10 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon cherry extract
- 2 tablespoons Blue Raspberry Jello gelatin powder
- Red Food Coloring - I used Wilton Red (No Taste Icing Color)
- Blue Food Coloring - I used Wilton Royal Blue Icing Color
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place cupcake liners in muffin tin, set aside.
- In large mixing bowl combine all the ingredients for the cupcakes and stir until fully mixed, no lumps in the batter.
- Pour about 1/4 a cup of batter into each cupcake liner, filling the cupcake liners about 2/3 full.
- Bake for approximately 16 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove to continue cooling on a wire rack.
- Add the room temperature butter to the mixing bowl. Beat over medium speed for approximately 1 minute until the butter is creamed. Add in the powdered sugar and heavy cream. Beat over medium speed until frosting has formed, should form peaks and hold form. Add powdered sugar or heavy cream as needed to obtain the proper consistency.
- Divide the frosting into three bowls. In one bowl add the blue raspberry Jello and blue food coloring. Stir to combine.
- In another bowl add the lemon extract, stir to combine.
- In the last bowl add the cherry extract and red food coloring. Stir to combine.
- Add the frosting to piping bags, I used a Wilton 2A tip for the red and white frostings, and a Wilton 1M tip for the blue frosting. Serve and enjoy!
- Store cupcakes at room temperature for up to 3-4 days.
Originally published May 21, 2015
More Recipes from House of Yumm that You Might Enjoy!