Low Carb Shepherd's Pie with Cauliflower Mash
A lightened up twist on the classic meat and vegetable casserole topped with cheesy mashed cauliflower. Healthy comfort food that is sure to be a family favorite.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
- 1 head cauliflower (about 2-3 pounds), roughly cut into florets (about 4 cups)
- 1 1/3 pound ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion chopped (roughly 1/2 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed or minced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 oz. white mushrooms, halved and sliced about 1/4-inch thick
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup tomato paste (can be reduced to 1/4 cup to make it keto-friendly)
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce or Coconut Aminos
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup shredded Cabot Cheddar Cheese (recommended: Extra Sharp or Seriously Sharp), divided
Preheat your oven to 350°F and coat a 1.5 quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
Place a steamer basket in a large pot over simmering water. Add the cauliflower florets and stem for 12-15 minutes, until very tender.
While the cauliflower is cooking, heat a skillet over medium heat.
Add the ground beef, onion, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to the skillet and cook, breaking up the meat, until it is browned. Drain any excess grease.
Add the mushrooms and green beans, and saute for about 5 minutes until the mushrooms are tender.
Stir in the beef broth tomato paste, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a simmer, and cook for 10-15 minutes or until thickened slightly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
While the meat mixture is simmering, remove the cauliflower from the pot and allow some of the excess moisture to evaporate.
Transfer cauliflower to a food processor or blender. Add Greek yogurt, egg, ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese, and 1 teaspoon salt to the potatoes. Blend or puree until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides if needed.
Add the meat mixture to the prepared casserole dish, then top with the mashed cauliflower and remaining cheese.
Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until heated through, and cheese is slightly browned.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 286kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 93mg | Sodium: 1039mg | Potassium: 807mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 524IU | Vitamin C: 42mg | Calcium: 160mg | Iron: 3mg