Mexican Chocolate Pudding (or Brownie) Oatmeal
Mexican Chocolate Pudding (or Brownie) Oatmeal is a healthy but decadent breakfast with a creamy texture, chocolaty flavor, and the kick of spices.
- 1/3 c old fashioned oats gluten-free, if needed
- 1 teaspoon Mexican Chocolate Spice OR 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, and 1/16-1/8 teaspon cayenne pepper
- pinch of salt
- 2 T unsweetened cocoa powder I like to use half Hershey's Cocoa Natural Unsweetened and half Hershey's Cocoa Special Dark
- 1-2 t sweetener of choice or equivalent of sugar-free sweetener (I have used honey, sugar, brown sugar, agave, turbinado sugar, and Splenda)
- 1/2 c milk I use unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 c water
- 1 t coconut oil or butter optional
- 2 eggs whites lightly beaten or 1/3 c pasteurized egg white from a carton (can also use one lightly beaten egg, but I prefer the more neutral taste of just the whites).
Combine all ingredients except the coconut oil/butter and egg whites in a saucepan, and cover with a lid.
Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce heat slightly to keep mixture at a simmer.
Cook for 5-7 minutes, keeping an eye on it to make sure the mixture doesn't boil over, or until the oatmeal is cooked to desired doneness, but a little excess moisture remains (you can add more water if the liquid evaporated before the oats were as soft as you like).
Reduce heat to low.
Stir in the coconut oil or butter, if using, then slowly pour in egg whites while stirring constantly.
Stirring constantly, cook for another 1-3 minutes, or until mixture slightly thickens.
Optional step for "brownie" oatmeal: Pour oatmeal mixture into a microwave safe bowl, and microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute, stirring every 20-30 seconds.