Orange Saffron Slow Cooker Roast Chicken
Intense, exotic aromas and flavors for a gourmet meal you can enjoy even on busy nights.
- One 6-8 lb chicken
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- two oranges zest of both and juice of one, plus the other one quartered and set aside
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic minced or crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 onion quartered
- a few sprigs of fresh rosemary and thyme
Dry the outside of your chicken and place inside the slow cooker.
In a bowl, stir together the olive oil, zest of both oranges and juice of one orange, salt, pepper, garlic, saffron, thyme and rosemary.
Separate the skin from the meat of the breast to form a pocket, and pour the mixture over the inside and outside and underneath the skin of the breast and rub all over to coat the chicken completely.
Place the remaining quartered orange, onion, and sprigs of rosemary and thyme inside and around the outside of the chicken.
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until the breast reaches 165°F.
Remove chicken from the slow cooker, carve and serve.