Italian Noodle Casserole
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 8 oz. penne, ziti, or a similar tube-shaped pasta (I used gluten free)
- 1 1/3 lbs lean ground beef
- half medium onion, chopped
- kosher salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 large or 2 small zucchini halved or quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1 clove garlic minced or crushed
- two 15 oz. cans low sodium/no salt added tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 oz. cream cheese, regular or light
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (about 4 oz.)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Preheat your oven to 450°F and coat a 9x13 inch casserole dish or glass baking dish with oil or cooking spray.
Prepare pasta according to package directions, cooking slightly al dente.
Place a large skillet over medium heat, and add the ground beef, onion, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Brown the ground beef, breaking up while cooking, until nearly cooked through. Drain any excess grease.
Add the zucchini and garlic to the beef and saute for about 5 minutes or until the zucchini is tender.
Stir in the tomato sauce and Italian seasoning, and bring to a simmer. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
After the pasta is cooked and drained, return the pasta to the pot or a bowl and stir in the Greek yogurt and cream cheese until smooth. Transfer the pasta mixture to the prepared casserole or baking dish.
Top pasta with an even layer of the meat sauce mixture, the sprinkle with cheddar and parmesan cheese.
Bake at 450°F for 15-20 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is melted and lightly browned.
Calories: 436kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 38g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 95mg | Sodium: 334mg | Potassium: 571mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 390IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 275mg | Iron: 3.3mg