Vegan Vegetable Tomato Sauce with Chickpeas
A rich, flavorful pasta sauce packed with veggies and protein, that comes together fast for a satisfying weeknight meal.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- one medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium zucchini finely shredded
- 1 cup finely shredded carrots
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- one 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes I use Tuttorosso, which has basil, so if you use another brand, you may want to add dried or fresh basil
- one 16 oz. can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- salt & pepper
- pasta or polenta for serving
In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
Add onion, garlic, zucchini, carrot, oregano, parsley, and red pepper, and season with salt and pepper. Saute for 5-8 minutes, or until vegetables are soft and begin to caramelize.
Add balsamic vinegar, crushed tomatoes, and chickpeas and stir to combine.
Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Cook for at least 10-15 minutes, or until heated through, or simmer longer if desired, until ready to serve.
Serve over pasta or polenta.