This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
You’ve been pumpkin-ed and apple-d left and right the past few weeks, right? And when lovely bloggers like me aren’t overloading you on various winter squash, it’s Halloween candy. But as the days get darker and shorter, don’t you think you need to start your morning with a little reminder of fun and sun? Then take five minutes the night before to mix together a few ingredients so that you can wake up to the flavors of your favorite umbrella drink with Pina Colada Overnight Oats.
Did you know that today is National Oatmeal Day? Seriously, who comes up with these things? I totally picture a bunch of “boys in the back room” (a la Dr. Seuss’s Butter Battle Book) staring at the calendar, saying, “Hmmm, June 23rd, perhaps that would be the perfect day to celebrate Food Stuffed into Other Food!” Or maybe it’s some sort of collusion and conspiracy, like the guys who catch and can sardines feeling like they need more love and attention… and sales, so they pay off these boys in the back room to create National Love Sardines Day.
And bloggers go nuts for this stuff. Am I right? Which is why I am totally buying into the conspiracy theory.
I mean, have you seen the hype it creates? As National S’Mores Day is approaching, every single recipe you see is gobbed up with Hershey bars and marshmallow. When National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day is upon us, we reach into our archives to share old posts all over social media to revive recipes that haven’t seen the light of day since… last year’s National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day. Don’t even get me started on World Nutella Day.
Sooo, it’s National Oatmeal Day… #guiltyascharged!
Pina Colada Overnight Oats seriously could not be easier – oats, milk, and pineapple and coconut Greek yogurt. I loves me some Yoplait Greek, and pineapple and coconut just happen to be my two favorite flavors, so it was inevitable that I would be whipping up some pina colada goodness with them at some point. There’s also rum extract, to get that hint of boozy flavor. I’m sure you could use rum, if that’s how you roll at 7 am, but I was sharing this with The Bug, so thought that might be irresponsible parenting. I’m almost a little disturbed at how quickly he devoured these Pina Colada Overnight Oats with the rum extract in them.
Then, you know, if you really wanna pretend you are lounging on a beach in the tropics, garnish with some fresh fruit and serve in a margarita glass. Umbrella optional…
What is your favorite way to eat oatmeal?
Pina Colada Overnight Oats
- One 5.3 oz container Pineapple Greek yogurt I used Yoplait Greek
- One 5.3 oz container Coconut Greek yogurt I used Yoplait Greek
- 1/2 c milk of choice plus more, if needed for serving
- 1/2-1 t rum extract
- 2/3 c old fashioned oats
- Optional chopped pineapple or coconut flakes for garnish
- In a bowl, stir together both flavors of Greek yogurt, milk, and rum extract.
- Stir in the oats.
- Divide between two bowls and store in the refrigerator overnight to allow oats to soften.
- In the morning, add additional milk, if desired, to achieve preferred consistency, and serve with chopped pineapple or coconut flakes, if desired.
Disclaimer: Yoplait provided samples of Yoplait Greek Yogurt, and no additional compensation was received. As always, all opinions are my own.
Here are some more oatmeal recipes to celebrate National Oatmeal Day…
- Chocolate Almond Banana Oatmeal
- Mexican Chocolate Pudding (or Brownie) Oatmeal
- Peach & Blueberry “Green” Overnight Oats
Plus a few from my friends…
- Baklava-Inspired Overnight Steel Cut Oats from Je Suis Alimentaguese
- Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal from Around My Family Table
- Overnight Crockpot German Chocolate Oatmeal from I Heart Eating