This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
A crisp and refreshing Pina Colada Mule combines two favorite drinks into one sweet and sassy tropical cocktail or mocktail. Break out the copper mugs and enjoy the bright and refreshing combination of a classic pina colada and a traditional Moscow Mule. All you need is pineapple juice, coconut rum and ginger beer with a little squeeze of lime. Or make a non-alcoholic version everyone, even the kids, can enjoy.
Disclaimer: This recipe was developed through a sponsored partnership with Dole Packaged Foods. As always, all opinions are my own.
Pina Colada Mule Cocktail or Mocktail
Happy Summer! Or Happy Middle of Summer! Or Happy End of Summer! (OK, OK, so that last one isn’t so happy.)
I say that because no matter the date, it could mean any of those things depending on where you live. In many parts of the country, kids are celebrating the end of the school year while mine in Maryland still have weeks to go. And by late July or early August, we are just heading off on our summer vacation when I’ll see friends posting their First Day of School photos on Facebook and Instagram. And they are all at least a little envious that we still have a few more days to spend at the beach.
But whether you feel like summer is already half over, it’s barely begun, or school is right around the corner, there is one thing we can all agree on.
Bright and summery tropical cocktails and mocktails! And this Pina Colada Moscow Mule is just the drink for you!
Whether you make it with or without alcohol, everyone can enjoy mixing up these Pina Colada Mules all summer long. Whether you make a mocktail or a cocktail, the exotic flavors will keep you refreshed on a hot day. When you mix the tropical sweetness of a Pina Colada and the bubbly zing of a Moscow Mule, you get one cool drink that nobody can resist.
What is in a Pineapple Mule?
A classic Moscow Mule contains ginger beer, vodka, and lime juice, while a traditional Pina Colada is a blend of pineapple juice, coconut cream, and coconut rum.
To get the essence of these two popular cocktails in one exotic cocktail, simply combine:
- Ginger beer
- Pineapple juice: not ginger ale. You can usually find ginger beer in the regular grocery store near either bottled root beers or other cocktail mixers like tonic water. It has a stronger ginger flavor to give it that kick that defines a Moscow Mule.
- Coconut rum (for the alcoholic version) or coconut water (for the non-alcoholic version)
- Squeeze of lime
Serve it over ice with a garnish of a cherry, pineapple chunk, and lime wedge and you’ll be instantly transported to the tropics.
Tips for Success
- A traditional Moscow Mule is typically made with vodka. This pineapple mule is made with coconut rum, perhaps making it more akin to the cousin of the Moscow Mule, the Dark and Stormy, which is made with dark rum.
- If you make the mocktail version, you can eyeball the coconut water and add more to taste if you want to substitute that for the coconut rum.
- All good tropical cocktails need a festive fruity garnish. The garnish on these is a Dole Pineapple Chunk, a thawed Dole Frozen Cherry, and a lime wedge.
- And of course I make my cocktails with Dole 100% Pineapple Juice.
Serving a Pina Colada Mule
Mules are traditionally served in a copper mug as some people say it keeps the drink colder and enhances the taste. While not necessary, they do make for a gorgeous presentation. I opted for glasses for the Pina Colada Mule mocktails.
Pina Colada Mule Cocktail or Mocktail
- 8 oz. ginger beer
- 4 oz. Dole 100% Pineapple Juice
- 3 oz. coconut rum or coconut water
- 1 lime
- thawed frozen cherries, pineapple chunks, and lime wedges for garnish
- Add ice to your copper mugs or glasses.
- Pour about 4 oz. ginger beer in each mug and add about 2 oz. pineapple juice and 1 1/2 oz. (one shot) coconut rum (or coconut water for a mocktail)
- Squeeze half a lime into each drink.
- Garnish with a cherry, pineapple chunk, and lime wedge on a cocktail pick.
Try these mocktails
- Mango Lava Flow Smoothies
- Sparkling Cider Rainbow Sherbet Floats
- Pineapple Lime Luau Slushy Punch from Tatertots and Jello