#SundaySupper and Gallo Family Vineyards are helping you get ready for football season with food and wine for Tailgating on Your Home Turf. You can’t go wrong with either food-lovers and football-lovers when you transform a favorite appetizer salad into much-loved game day munchies and make Mini Caprese Polenta Pizzas.
Mini Caprese Polenta Pizzas
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
All the members of the team are there and they’ve all got their jerseys on. You’re looking at the lineup, and the game plan for the day is being discussed. Everyone is getting pumped up as the game is about to start. That can only mean one thing. It’s time to…
Oh come on, you know tailgating isn’t all about the football. The Hubby and I have loved going to football games at my alma mater, which is just one town over from where we live. But I have to be honest, it’s too much of a gamble – it could be too hot or too cold or too windy or, worst case scenario, a total downpour. I’m actually much happier when The Hubby wants to invite over some friends to watch the games. Sure, we still don our team colors, but our flat screen TV provides a much better view than our second tier seats, our house definitely has better climate control than an outdoor stadium, and compared to dried out pretzels and “nachos” which are really just mediocre chips and a little tub of day-glow cheese, I definitely make much better food…
Mini Caprese Polenta Pizzas will please everyone at your football party. Your friends who are just there for the company and, more importantly, the food will adore the classic Caprese salad in pizza form. They will sink their teeth into the soft but slightly crisp “crust” and stretch out the gooey mozzarella, getting the pop of the juicy tomatoes as they burst in their mouth. A little sprinkle of basil for freshness and a drizzle of syrupy balsamic vinegar ties it all together. Here’s game day grub even the finest foodie will appreciate.
Two quick notes for you. The first is that you really need to cook the polenta until it is very thick. When you think it is done, keep cooking it. Second, I photographed these the first time I made them, but the second time I added a little schmear of pesto, which was super yummy, so your choice. You could make them either way.
And for the rest of your guests who are focused on the game, well, it’s pizza. Not gonna disappoint anyone there.
I think Merlot and pizza is a pretty classic pairing, which is why I opened up a mini bottle of Gallo Family Vineyards Merlot to enjoy with my Mini Caprese Polenta Pizzas. But really, is there a wrong wine to drink with pizza – even fancy-shmancy pizza? I think not. Just like everyone has their favorite team, everyone also has their favorite wine. So it is perfect that Gallo offers nine varietals in 187 mL bottles. You can put out an assortment for each of your tailgating guests to select their favorite.
Gallo knows all about the importance of family and the meals that bring us together, and sometimes that family is our football-watching friends and the meal is munching on all of our favorite game day snacks. Learn more about the wines of Gallo Family Vineyards, connect with them on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or YouTube, and check out the store locator to try some of their wines yourself.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Need some new recipes for your football- and food-loving family and friends? Check out all of the fabulous ideas at the bottom of this post, and find out which of the Gallo Family wines to pair with your game day grub! And here’s a dollar off for you!
So, are you there for the football or the food?
You can save this or any of my recipes and those from many of your favorite brands, blogs and website to your own personal recipe box. After creating your account, simply click ‘Save Recipe‘ below. It will then be saved in your personal recipe box which you can access at any time, and even create meal plans and grocery lists.
Mini Caprese Polenta Pizzas
Mini polenta pizzas topped with fresh mozzarella and tomatoes, like a classic Caprese salad, make a fun party appetizer.
- Whisk the cornmeal into the stock or water in a medium saucepan, cover and bring to boil
- Remove the lid, reduce heat to medium low and stir frequently (almost constantly at first while it is bubbling a lot) for 30-45 minutes until it is very thick, almost a paste.
- While it is cooking, line baking sheets with parchment or coat well with oil.
- Make balls with 2-3 Tablespoons of cooked polenta, place on the prepared baking sheet, and flatten into circles about ¼ inch thick. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 450°F.
- Bake polenta crusts for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, carefully flip, and bake for another 5 minutes.
- If desired, top each crust with a thin smear of pesto.
- Divide the mozzarella slices between the crusts and top with 3 or 4 tomato halves.
- Bake for another 5-10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and crust reached desired crispness.
- Sprinkle with basil and drizzle with balsamic, if desired.
Need some more tailgating recipes? I’ve got a few for you…
And here is the rest of the #SundaySupper Tailigating on Your Home Turf Menu…
- Bacon, Onion and Cheddar Sliders by The Redhead Baker
- Basil and Sundried Tomato Hummus by Ruffles & Truffles
- Braided Stromboli by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Braised Brats with Apples and Onions by Flavor Mosaic
- Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Bites by Alida’s Kitchen
- Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Cakes by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chicken and Chorizo Nachos by Family Foodie
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Sliders by Life Tastes Good
- Greek Style Grilled Wings with Yogurt Dill Sauce by Supper for a Steal
- Meatball Subs with Garlic-White Wine Sauce by Foxes Love Lemons
- Mini Caprese Polenta Pizzas by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mini Chorizo and Cheese Quiches by Magnolia Days
- Pizza Rolls by Momma’s Meals
- Ricotta Toasts with Tomatoes by The Messy Baker
- Slow Cooker Beef Chili by Jelly Toast
- Spicy Grilled Clams in Foil by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Strawberry Mint Red Moscato Sangria by Feed Me, Seymour
- Sun-dried Tomato and Feta Dip with Za’atar Chips by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Ultimate Stadium Nachos by Melanie Makes
- Veggie Pizza with Cauliflower Crust by Take A Bite Out of Boca