This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
For a taste of the tropics in a healthy smoothie recipe that’s perfect for breakfast or a snack, everyone can enjoy sipping on these Mango Lava Flow Smoothies.
Disclaimer: This recipe was developed through a sponsored partnership with Dole Packaged Foods. As always, all opinions are my own.
Mango Pineapple Smoothies
As you may remember, The Hubby and I went on a weeklong cruise for our tenth anniversary. It was our first cruise, so everything was a new and exciting experience for us. We enjoyed a week of relaxation, good food, excellent drinks, lounging by the pool, exploring new tropical locations, and just having fun together. Without our kids. So naturally what did we do?
Talk about our kids.
The big one would have a blast doing this and the little one would love that. Do we want to go on a smaller ship or a bigger ship? Would we stick with the buffet or take them to the main dining room a few times? We totally have to take the little foodies to the main dining room, though I am sure they will love the endless taco bars and chicken tenders and french fries and, yes, even the fruit. Should we let them sleep in fold out bunk beds or just splurge on the adjoining rooms? Should we wait a few years or go soon?
I know, I know, it’s like breaking one of the cardinal rules for a kid-free vacation. But we just couldn’t help it. We know they will love it as much as we did.
However, soon after we got home it was back-to-school time, which meant thinking more about after school snacks than after dinner cocktails. But I was able to turn one of our favorite tropical libations into a healthy treat even the boys could enjoy…
Mango Lava Flow Smoothies are a fun and healthy version of the lava flow frozen cocktail. While usually made with strawberry puree, The Hubby and I became partial to the mango version on our cruise. This fruity puree is swirled with the classic frozen pina colada for a fruity, creamy, decadent drink. However, between the rum and the sugar, it’s definitely not an everyday treat or one to share with the kiddos (though they did make them alcohol-free on the ship). So I decided to make one I could enjoy on a regular basis, and share with my kids because it’s packed with frozen fruit from Dole Packaged Foods.
While it looks all fancy, this is really a simple smoothie to make, and even more fun to serve and enjoy. You start with a simple mango puree that’s nothing more than Dole Frozen Mango Chunks and coconut milk, and set that aside in a small pitcher or measuring cup (unless you are like me and have several blender jars, in which case just pull out another). Then it’s just a combination of Dole Frozen Pineapple Chunks, coconut milk, Greek yogurt, and ice for the pina colada smoothie. If you really want to amp up that coconut flavor or give it more of a nod to the original cocktail, you can add coconut or rum extracts (or both), and sweeten to taste. Then just layer and swirl in a couple of glasses!
I am proud to be partnering with Dole Packaged Foods to create recipes featuring their highest quality, GMO-free fruits and veggies. You can always find Dole in my freezer and pantry, and often in #BugsLunchbox, so I am thrilled to share ways to use their products to make it easy to get more fruits and veggies in your diet in a no-fuss way. Find out more about their products by following Dole Sunshine on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
While it may be the start of a new school year, since Dole frozen fruits are in season all year round, you can still be dreaming about tropical island vacations while sipping on these Mango Lava Flow Smoothies.
For more yumminess from me and my foodie friends, keep up with me on…
Or sign up to have Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered straight to your Inbox!
Mango Lava Flow Smoothies
For the Mango Puree:
- 1/2 cup Dole Frozen Mango Chunks
- 1/2 cup coconut milk carton or canned, preferably light or it will be extremely thick and hard to blend
For the Pina Colada Smoothie:
- 1 cup Dole Frozen Pineapple Chunks
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt plain or vanilla, or dairy free yogurt alternative
- 1 cup coconut milk carton or canned, preferably light or it will be extremely thick and hard to blend
- 1/2 cup ice more or less depending on desired consistency
- 1/4 tsp coconut extract, optional
- 1/4 tsp rum extract, optional
- 1 tsp honey, sweeten to taste. Can use stevia, etc., as desired
- 2 maraschino cherries, if desired
For the Mango Puree:
- Combine the mango and coconut milk in a blender and puree until smooth. Set aside in the blender if you have a second blender jar or in a pitcher or measuring cup.
For the Pina Colada Smoothie:
- Combine the pineapple, yogurt, coconut milk, and ice in a blender and puree until smooth. Add optional extracts if you want more coconut flavor or more authentic pina colada flavor with the rum extract, as well as sweetener, if desired, and blend for another couple seconds to mix.
- Pour a small amount of the mango puree in each of two glasses. Top each with about a quarter of the pina colada smoothie and a little more mango puree. Pour half of the remaining pina colada smoothie in each glass and top with the remaining mango puree. Garnish with a cherry, if desired.
Enjoy this Mango Lava Flow Smoothies recipe!
Here are some more smoothies you can make with Dole Frozen Fruits…
- Strawberry Banana Coconut Smoothie
- Blueberry, Peaches and Cream Green Smoothie
- Cherry Vanilla Almond Smoothie
And some from my friends…
- Coconut Mango Smoothie from A Cedar Spoon
- Pineapple Strawberry Smoothie from The First Year
- Blueberry Oatmeal Smoothie from Garnish with Lemon