This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Quinoa is the super trendy super food that is all the rage these days…
And with good reason. Even though quinoa has only become popular and commonplace in the United States in recent years, it is actually an ancient grain grown in the Andes Mountains. And why the rise in popularity? Well, a focus on whole grains, gluten free diets and vegetarianism/veganism are definitely on the upswing, and quinoa is the perfect food to meet al of these needs. It is a gluten free whole grain packed with calcium, fiber, magnesium, and lysine. And why are we talking about it here, in my Protein Power series (remember last week’s Greek yogurt roundup and smoothie and pancake recipes)? Well, it is also a great source of protein, and one of highest sources and only plant-based complete sources of protein. So, awesome for celiacs, vegans, and all of us Mamas, especially those of us that are pregnant! (Sources: Wikipedia and Quinoa Corporation)
Of course, besides all of the health and nutritional benefits, it is also quick cooking and delicious, but also neutral-flavored, which makes it quite versatile, and it can be flavored up in so many different ways:
Have quinoa for breakfast:
- Dark Cocoa Superfood Granola from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Raspberry Quinoa Muffins from Sweet Twist of Blogging
- Quinoa & Apple Breakfast Bites from Lisa’s Dinnertime Dish
Have Mexican-inspired quinoa:
- Mexican Black Bean & Quinoa Burgers from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Spicy Quinoa Stir Fry from Dancing for Food
- Quinoa & Black Bean Enchiladas from Amy’s Cooking Adventures
Have Italian- and Mediterranean-inspired quinoa:
- Quinoa, Spinach & Kale Lasagna from Hezzi D’s Books & Cooks
- Quinoa Mozzarella Tomato Salad from Mia’s Domain
- Spicy Roasted Eggplant & Quinoa Platter from Ally’s Kitchen
Have sweet & savory quinoa:
- Roasted Butternut Squash & Pomegranate Quinoa from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Quinoa Beet Salad from Tumbleweed Contessa
- Apricot Cranberry Quinoa from Sumptuous Spoonfuls
- Winter Quinoa Casserole from Find Your Balance (I’ve made and love this one)
- Turkey Quinoa Muffin Cups from Dinners, Dishes & Desserts
- BBQ Chicken Quinoa Salad from Eat Yourself Skinny
Have cheesy quinoa:
- Butternut Squash Macaroni & Cheese from Cupcakes & Kale Chips (quinoa pasta is awesome!)
- Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa from Closet Cooking
- Grilled Corn & Cheddar Quinoa from How Sweet It Is
Looking for more great Quinoa recipes? I have an entire Pinterest board to help, and I am always adding to it. So check it out, and while you are there, I’d love for you to Follow me. I am always pinning all kinds of tasty goodness!
Brianne ~ Thank you so much for including my quinoa apple breakfast bites in your post! I really appreciate it! 🙂 Lisa
They sound so yummy!
Thank you for the lovely and delicious collection. 🙂
So happy to share recipes from some great foodies!
Thanks for these great recipes!
Absolutely – happy to share!
I love all of the quinoa love going on here!
So many great recipes from my foodie friends!
Absolutely love following along! Wanted to let you know I’ve nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award on my Blog, LeMoine Family Kitchen. Will be posting it tomorrow, please visit and say hi.
Thanks so much! I’m flattered!
I love quinoa. I love this list of recipes! This is fantastic. Thank you for sharing!
It is such a great ingredient to make tons of different ways!