This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Ball is a sweet dessert dip with the favorite combination of chocolate and peanut butter. But with secretly healthy ingredients that are also gluten free, grain free, and can be made vegan, it’s totally OK to eat cookie dough for lunch or as a healthy snack recipe. It’s just one of my favorite easy gluten-free dessert dips.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Ball -> CLICK HERE TO PIN THIS RECIPE!
Especially since it is my Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Ball. If you’ve ever seen my What’s in the Lunchbox Wednesday posts, you know I try give him nutritious lunches, hopefully with at least a reasonable amount of protein, fruits and/or veggies. So how could I justify sending him to school with cookie dough? Well, this baby is high in protein and fiber, low in sugar (it can be refined-sugar free depending on what sweetener you use, and what you decide to coat it with, if anything), gluten-free, grain-free, and you could even make it vegan. Clearly I am on a bit of a healthy treat kick, if you saw Sunday’s Strawberry Tiramisu Cheesecake Cups (which, if you didn’t, you totally should. Mmmm!).
I told you we are talking about Nuts, Beans & Legumes this week, so of course I had to include a new recipe with my favorite legume – peanuts (well, at least when it is in butter form). And the secret ingredient… chickpeas!!
Actually this recipe was inspired by this totally amazing Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake Cheese Ball from Alyssa at What’s Cooking, Love? I seriously was ready to lick my computer screen. I mean, I am a sucker for all things peanut butter and chocolate (I have a entire Pinterest Board devoted to this obsession). But, not to sound like a broken record, you know the deal – wheat allergy and gestational diabetes. So I had to rework that baby, and I thought of my Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookie Dough Dip. This was totally do-able!
The Bug actually helped me make this one. We just dumped all the ingredients in the food processor, then he got to watch as we whizzed it up till it formed a “dough ball”. And he was an excellent taste tester!
This Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Ball is perfect to spread on fruit slices or graham crackers, roll up in a tortilla, spread on some whole wheat bread, or maybe even add some bananas to thatfor a fun sammie. For Easter, you could even set it out with some Annie’s Bunnies for a fun snack for the kids (even the big ones!) that won’t increase their chocolate bunny and Peeps sugar high.
So yes, The Bug had cookie dough for lunch (though I did scrape off all but a couple of the white chocolate chips – those are reserved for dessert). Tomorrow you’ll see the “Before” photo of what I sent, but for now I’ll give you a glimpse of the “After”. Clearly, this Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Ball was Bug-Approved!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Ball
- One 15 oz. can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1/4 c cocoa powder
- 1/4 c honey or to taste (substitute agave or maple syrup for strict vegan)
- 1/2 c peanut butter
- 1 t vanilla
- Optional about 1 c total of any of the following or a combination for coating the dough ball: chopped peanuts, milk, semisweet, or white chocolate, or peanut butter chips, chopped chocolate, etc.
- Cookies crackers, tortillas, bread, etc. for dipping and spreading
- Combine the chickpeas, cocoa powder, honey, peanut butter, and vanilla in your food processor.
- Process until a dough consistency forms, stopping to scrape down the sides, as needed.
- Gather the contents of the food processor together in a ball and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate at least an hour, or until firm.
- Place your desired coating ingredients in a shallow pan and roll the ball in the coating, pressing firmly to adhere.
- Return the dough ball to the refrigerator until ready to serve. Serve with fruit, crackers, etc., or on sandwiches or tortillas, as desired.
Here are some more healthy chocolate and peanut butter treats…
- Funky Monkey Banana Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Balls
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Apple Nachos
- Flourless Banana Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Mini Muffins