Add some omega-3’s, antioxidants, superfoods, healthy fats, and (YAY!) chocolate to your toast at breakfast or spread on some apples for a healthy snack, although you’ll be tempted to just have spoonfuls of Chocolate Coconut Walnut Butter.
Chocolate Coconut Walnut Butter
Disclaimer: Blendtec provided me with a Blendtec 725 blender and Twister Jar to use and review, as well as one to give away to a reader. As always, all opinions are my own.
After telling you how Blendtec made a believer out of me by delivering perfectly thick AND smooth smoothies, and how it magically cleans itself, have I convinced you how amazing this appliance is? I have to tell you, I feel like I haven’t even skimmed the surface of what it can do. I am dying to make some muffins and pancakes, too. I almost feel guilty that I didn’t make any recipes to share with you this week. But I knew I had to squeeze in one made in the Twister Jar.
While the Wild Side Jar is great for soups and pureeing large amounts of veggies, the Twister Jar is fantastic for some other things. I like it for single serve smoothies, as there is less splashing, and I’ve also made plenty of banana ice cream. But seriously, the hummus – just soooooo creamy and smooth without needing to add a ton of oil and lots of extra calories. I swear, you could almost call it whipped hummus. For thick mixtures like banana ice cream or hummus, the Twister lid helps scrape down the sides so that you don’t have to stop the machine to mix it up.
And then, well, I just had to make some nut butter. And not just any old nut butter. In just a few minutes, the Blendtec and Twister Jar made short work of a big ol’ pile of walnuts and turned it into this…
Spread on some French toast sticks, The Bug declared this Chocolate Coconut Walnut Butter as “so good Mommy. I love this breakfast!”. Walnut butter is not typically the smoothest of nut butters, especially when you toast the walnuts, but they add so much flavor, and of course lots of nutrients and healthy fats. Blended with cocoa powder and coconut, with a little coconut oil to smooth it out just a bit, you get totally indulgent taste, but adding some flax seeds adds even more superfood awesomeness. Plus a touch of sweet, a bit of salty, and you are going to want to spread this on everything, or just dig in with a spoon!
Tomorrow you’ll get a recap of this week’s yummy good Blendtec recipes plus a roundup of a bunch more to make once you buy (or maybe even win!) a new Blendtec. Remember, the giveaway is going on till June 27th, so make sure you ENTER NOW!
Have you made your own nut butters?
Chocolate Coconut Walnut Butter
Add superfood goodness and (YAY!) chocolate to your breakfast or afternoon snack. Spread it on toast, apples, or a spoon!
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Spread the walnuts evenly on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 8-10 minutes, stirring after 4 or 5 minutes, and checking frequently towards the end. Toast until they are lightly browned and giving off a nutty aroma. Let cool to room temperature.
- Combine all of the ingredients in the Blendtec Twister Jar (or another high powered blender or food processor).
- Turn on to medium-high speed and process until smooth, about a minute or two in the Blendtec. If using the Twister lid, turn counterclockwise while blending to scrape down the sides.
Here are some more healthy sweet spreads you can make in your Twister Jar…
Plus a few from my friends…
- Chocolate Chip Coconut Butter from How Sweet It Is
- White Chocolate Cinnamon Almond Butter from One Sweet Mess
- Chocolate Vanilla Swirl Cashew Butter from Fit Foodie Finds