Chipotle Cheddar Cheese Cauliflower Poppers – Guest Post from Simply Healthy Family
Chipotle cheddar cheese cauliflower poppers are gluten free appetizers that make the perfect healthy snack! This easy cauliflower based appetizers recipe is easy to make, too!
Greetings from the Beautiful Sonoran Desert! My name is Gwen and I’m the owner of the blog Simply Healthy Family where I focus on healthy, delicious whole foods that the whole family will love. I try to keep it simple and kid friendly without sacrificing flavor. I like to say we are mostly gluten free, mostly sugar free and mostly vegetarian. I’m excited and grateful to be guest posting on Cupcakes and Kale Chips today, as I’ve always love Brianne’s beautiful blog and her variety of healthy foods with the occasional sweet treat.
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this post, meaning that if you click and make a purchase, the cost to you is the same, but I will receive a few pennies. I use the money to help maintain this website and to bring you new recipes!
Chipotle Cheddar Cheese Cauliflower Poppers
I’m a veggie lover from way back and can’t think of one I don’t like. My favorites are green leafy vegetables but also cauliflower for it’s versatility as well as nutrients. I use it in everything from pizza crusts, substitute it for starchy mashed potatoes, chop it up and use it in place of rice for pilaf’s and fried rice and even in place of chicken for vegetarian Buffalo Wings.
My new addiction involving cauliflower are these Chipotle Cheddar Cheese Cauliflower Poppers. By pulsing cauliflower florets in a food processor a few times, they turn into a rice like consistency and then you add an egg, some grated chipotle cheddar cheese and roll them in some gluten free cracker crumbs for the all important crutch factor. I choose a gluten free, multi grain cracker that has flax in it such as Breton’s. If spice isn’t your thing simply sub in your favorite cheese. Serve these poppers warm!
Chipotle Cheddar Cheese Cauliflower Poppers are super simple to make, damn good, and perfect for any party or afternoon snack attack.
With Fall quickly approaching put these on your list for fancy football finger foods. The chipotle cheddar cheese in these cauliflower poppers is super addictive! I find them filling enough to suffice for an entire meal……. of course I ate more than my fair share.
A couple of things that will help you make the chipotle cheddar cheese cauliflower poppers recipe:
Products from Amazon.com
- Price: $7.84
- 1 small head of cauliflower chopped into florets
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup shallots minced
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley or fresh
- 1 cup Chipotle Cheddar Cheese grated (or cheese of choice)
- 1/2 cup about 8 crackers Breton Gluten Free Original Crackers with Flax
- 1/2 cup about 8 crackers Breton Gluten Free Herb and Garlic Crackers
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stock pot steam cauliflower florets for 5-7 minutes. Do not over cook! Drain water and place florets in a bowl and freeze for 30 minutes or refrigerate for at least 1 hour (this will help with shaping them into balls).
- Remove chilled cauliflower from freezer and place in a food processor. I use this small hand operated chopper which allows you to control how course or finely chopped your food will be. Chop until cauliflower is the consistency of couscous or rice. Do not over process or you will have mush. Remove any remaining chunks of cauliflower and discard. Scoop cauliflower into a large bowl.
- Add cheese, shallots, parsley and 1/2 cup crackers. Mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl or mixer, beat egg whites until just frothy. Fold the egg whites into the cauliflower mixture till just combined. Fold egg whites into cauliflower mixture.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In your food processor, pulse Breton Gluten Free Herb and Garlic Crackers until they are a fine crumb. Place them in a large shallow plate. Using your hands, shape the cauliflower mixture into golfball size balls. Gently roll the balls in the cracker crumbs to lightly coat. Place on a stone baking sheet lined with parchment paper 1/2" apart.
- Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and balls are deep golden brown and crispy.
- Serve warm! These make a great appetizer to any dinner party or picnic