This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
As I am easing (umm, “easing”) back into the whole blogging thing, I have a few foodie friends taking an occasional turn in the Cupcakes & Kale Chips kitchen. I can’t thank them enough. Head on over to Pinterest, too, where I will be pinning all of these awesome recipes on my Guest Posts board, plus my Inspiration boards!
Today I’d like to introduce Christie from Pepper Lynn, who is bringing Blueberry Almond Salad with Fresh Orange Vinaigrette! You know I loves me some salads, especially salads with fruit and nuts and cheese, so I have to try this one!
Take it away, Christie…
Hi! I’m Christie, the blogger behind Pepper Lynn, and I’m thrilled to be guest posting for Brianne while she is on maternity leave. I’ve got two babes of my own, and one of the key lessons I learned after becoming a mom in 2010 is the need for simplicity in the kitchen. No matter how admirable my intentions, I will always choose what is convenient, especially when it comes to scrounging up lunch for myself in the middle of a hectic day. For a long time, this meant I was eating more than my fair share of fishy crackers and fruit leather, but no more! Give me a smoothie for breakfast and a salad for lunch, and I’m set.
The salad that I’m sharing today is a riff on one I’ve been eating nonstop lately. The vinaigrette is has a base of freshly squeezed orange juice – yum! – and while I usually use navel oranges, any variety will do. Fresh zest pumps up the orange flavor, red wine vinegar imparts some tang, and honey brings everything together. This recipe makes just over a cup of dressing, so I’ll usually make a batch at the beginning of the week, and it lasts me several days.
The salad itself is hardly any work to make, and I’ve intentionally chosen ingredients that require little prep which enables me to quickly assemble my lunch whilst helping the kids with theirs. Mixed greens form the bedrock here, and dried blueberries and almonds provide chew and crunch. A tasty and nutritious lunch has never been so easy!
Almond and Blueberry Salad with Fresh Citrus Vinaigrette
For the vinaigrette:
For the salad:
- A couple large handfuls of mixed greens
- ¼ cup whole raw almonds roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons dried blueberries
- 2 tablespoons crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese or goat cheese
- To make the vinaigrette, combine the orange juice, olive oil, red wine vinegar, orange zest, salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons of honey in the jar of a blender and blend for 20 seconds until emulsified. Taste, add additional honey if needed, and blend again.
- Assemble the salad by placing the greens on a plate and topping with the chopped almonds, dried blueberries, and crumbled queso fresco. Drizzle with the desired amount of fresh orange vinaigrette and enjoy immediately.
Thanks Christie! Sounds and looks super-yummy!
If you like this salad, here are a few of my favorites:
Plus some awesome salads from my foodie friends:
- Chicken & Nectarine Poppy Seed Salad from Pinch of Yum
- Waldorf Salad from A Family Feast
- Pear, Almond and Arugula Salad from Vintage Kitchen Notes
Find more on my Salad Inspiration Pinterest board.