Basil Balsamic Strawberries & Whipped Feta Grilled Cheese for #SundaySupper
Sometimes I feel like a disappointment to my gender…
And it has nothing to do with this amazing Basil Balsamic Strawberries & Whipped Feta Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
What I mean is that I don’t like cheesecake. Doesn’t every woman LOOOVVEE cheesecake? Aren’t we all supposed to think we’ve died and gone to heaven as we gaze into the dessert case at The Cheesecake Factory? I don’t. I like cheesecake-flavored things, I like those no-bake, faux-cheesecake tasting things, I like stuff with cheesecake swirl. But a big, dense hunk of cheesecake – not my thing.
I don’t like chocolate cake too much, either. Chocolates, yes. Chocolate pie, absolutely. Chocolate cake – not so much. I know! Who am I? Lovely golden cakes or strawberry shortcakes or carrot cakes – I’m all over those. But sadly, as you probably know by now, these days, at least until baby is born, no cake for me.
So this week’s Cheese, Cake & Cheesecake #SundaySupper left me with cheese. Mmmmm, CHEESE! I am all about cheese. Goat cheese, blue cheese, cheddar cheese, monterey jack cheese, parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, cream cheese.
I saw this Whipped Feta from Jessica at How Sweet It Is, and I had to make it, though I used a combo of Greek yogurt and regular cream cheese, versus her whipped cream cheese, because that’s what I had. And then I had to turn it into another fancy pants grilled cheese! Helloooo cheesy #SundaySupper!
OK, I know I’ve done strawberries in grilled cheese before, but I just love strawberries and feta. Throw in a little balsamic vinegar and basil, and it was a perfect combination of sweet and salty, with amazing creaminess that just oozed perfectly as you sunk your teeth into the sandwich. A finger-licking kind of sandwich! And, to have that contrasting crispy texture, instead of buttering up the bread and potentially making it soggy with all the gooey whipped feta inside, I just sprayed the outside of the bread with olive oil. Perfect!!
Then, just to put it over the top, drizzle with some thick, syrupy aged balsamic, and WOW!
Totally Bug- and Hubby-approved. Well, The Bug had to pick out the basil, because anything green and leafy is totally offensive to him. But gooey cheese and strawberries – he is all over that!
So if you could only eat one of the following for the rest of your life, which would it be – cheese, cake, or cheesecake?
- 8 oz. feta cheese
- 2 oz. cream cheese I used light cream cheese
- 2 T Greek yogurt I used Chobani 0% Plain
- 1 c sliced strawberries
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- 2 T basil cut into a chiffonade fine ribbons
- freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices of your bread of choice I used whole wheat and Rudi's Gluten-Free Sandwich Breads
- Whipped Feta
- olive oil in a spray bottle
- Aged balsamic vinegar or regular balsamic vinegar that has been reduced to a syrup (optional, but soooo delicious)
- Crumble the feta into a food processor, then pulse until crumbly.
- Add the cream cheese and Greek yogurt, and process for several minutes, until smooth and creamy.
- Place in the refrigerator to firm up slightly before making the grilled cheese.
- Combine the strawberries, balsamic vinegar, basil, and pepper in a small bowl, and allow to sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Spread 2-3 T of the whipped feta on each of the eight slices of bread.
- Divide the strawberry mixture between four of the slices of bread, and top each one with one of the slices that just has cheese.
- Heat a large pan over high heat, and coat with the olive oil spray.
- Place the sandwiches in the pan, spray the tops with olive oil, cover, and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until bread is golden brown.
- Uncover, flip sandwiches, and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, until second side is golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Drizzle with aged balsamic, or balsamic reduction, if desired (Do this! Trust me!)
- Let sit for a minute or two before cutting.
Look at all of these savory cheese dishes, wonderful cakes and amazing cheesecakes!
- Garlic and Goat by Supper for a Steal
- Quick and Easy Homemade Cottage Cheese by The Meltaways
- Homemade Velveeta Cheese by Juanitas Cocina
- Cheesy Spinach and Artichoke Dip with Parmesan Crisps by BigBearsWife
- Irish Cheese Soufflés by girlichef
- Paneer Tikka Masala by Kimchi Mom
- Creamy Meyer Lemon Pasta with Homemade Ricotta and Broccoli by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Ricotta Croquettes by Basic N Delicious
- Cheeseburger Soup by Dinners Dishes and Desserts
- Cherry Blossom Crescents by The Ninja Baker
- Saag Paneer! Golden Roasted Ricotta In Savory Spinach Sauce by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Sourdough Cheese Crackers by Curious Cuisiniere
- Basil Balsamic Strawberries & Whipped Feta Grilled Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Lox and Cream Cheese Mini Omelettes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Buffalo Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken by In The Kitchen With KP
- Baked Mozzarella Sticks by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Paneer Indian Cottage Cheese Pancake by Masala Herb
- Crepes with Strawberry Mascarpone Cream Filling by Soni’s Food
- Roasted Pears with Pecorino by Happy Baking Days
- Pan-Fried Halloumi Cheese Salad by The Catholic Foodie
- Chevre Torte with Mango and Sweet Pepper Salsa by Noshing with the Nolands
- Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting by Hezzi D’s Books & Cooks
- Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Cake by Gourmet Drizzles
- Dairyfree Ice Cream Cake by Galactosemia in PDX
- KitKat Chocolate Cake by The Urban Mrs.
- Old Fashioned Caramel Cake by There and Back Again
- Peanut Butter Banana Bundt Cake with Chocolate Chips by Gotta Get Baked
- Flourless Chocolate Bean Cake by Vintage Kitchen
- Dense Chocolate Cherry Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Tequila Lime Cupcakes by Mama Mommy Mom
- Almond Polenta Cake by Shockingly Delicious
- Salmon Cakes by Family Foodie
- Banana Split Bundt Cake with Chocolate Glaze by NeighborFood
- Kit Kat Cheesecake Brownies by Chocolate Moosey
- Reese’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Bundt Cake by Daily Dish Recipes
- Nutella Cheesecake Brownies by The Foodie Army Wife
- Individual Strawberry and White Chocolate Cheesecakes by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Grasshopper Cheesecake Bars by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Cheesecake by Magnolia Days
- Mini Toddler Cherry Cheesecakes by In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maurene
- Mocha Cheesecake by The Lovely Pantry
- Lime Cheesecake Bites by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- No-Bake Banana Sundae Cheesecake by The Messy Baker
- Mini Raspberry Cheesecakes with White Chocolate Crusts by Cupcakes and Pearls
- Savory Shrimp Cheesecake with Herbs and Garlic by Food Lust People Love
- Cheesecake au Baileys by Baker Street
- Tiny Turtle Cheesecakes (No Bake) by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Mini Cheesecakes by Cookistry
- Chocolate Cheesecake Bites by Mom, What’s For Dinner?
This recipe was shared with: Weekend Potluck #58