This weekend was filled with so many of the things I love.
The Bug! He was my “Little Chef” on Friday night. It is fun having him in the kitchen with me. Makes Daddy a little nervous, though.
The Hubby! I may not work outside the home, but I still look forward to weekends when The Hubby is home. One of the nice things is that he sometimes lets me stay in bed and gets up with The Bug, or I can get out for some errands without the little guy and all of his associated gear in tow. But what I really love is the time all three of us spend together, and watching daddy and boy interacting together. During the week, by the time The Hubby gets home from work, we have dinner, and The Bug is pretty much exhausted.
Pancakes! We enjoyed a delicious pancake breakfast at The Brownstone Diner & Pancake Factory in Jersey City, NJ. Awesome! I was too busy feeding my face and The Bug’s, so I stole this picture, because I didn’t take one.
Science! We took The Bug to the Liberty Science Center. I think he learned more about how to climb on different shapes and sizes of chairs and benches than he did about science, but that’s OK. He had a blast! And I had a blast watching him run around, squealing with delight.
Cooking! I made a bunch of stuffed shells and meatballs for a woman in my Mom’s Group who just had a new baby. Snuck some veggies in the meatballs, in case she is having the same pickiness issue in her 22-month-old that is suddenly and unexpectedly coming up with my 22-month-old. With the mess I made, I wish my mom had been around to clean up after me. Oh, and for making stuffed shells, I highly recommend this.
Baking! I made these Pumpkin Cupcakes from The Crabby Cook, Jessica Harper. I used a little maple syrup cream cheese glaze to make them more muffin-y than cupcake-y. Kept a few for us, and giving some to that same mom (still sneaking in veggies).
So as I was thinking about these things I love, and roaming around the blogosphere scoping out some recipes and inspiration and pretty pictures, I started to think that I should tell you a bit more about my likes and dislikes. I was reading the name of a recipe, and it went something like this – Mushrooms (Yum!) Stuffed with (Double Yum!) Brie (Triple Yum!) and Crab (Wait, hold up, no way!!). I love to try new foods, but there are some thing that I just don’t like. And I only like to cook things that I like to eat. Call me selfish, but whatever, it’s my kitchen. So you will never see any recipes on here that contain the following:
- Raw onions – I swear, if I ask for no onions on my salad, and if there is one little, tiny speck, I will taste it for the next three weeks.
- Crab – I’ve tried it plain, dipped in butter, au gratined, caked, and I just cannot find any preparation that tastes remotely good to me.
- Canned tuna – Just can’t get past the smell to bring myself to put it in my mouth.
- Indian food – I like it, but it doesn’t like me, though I am willing to experiment with some Indian spices.
- Sauerkraut – I am Polish, so this is pretty much sacrilege, but it’s just not gonna happen.
In my first post, I mentioned a few of my favorite foods, but there are many more things that I LOVE LOVE LOVE:
- ICE CREAM!!!!! – ‘Nuff said
- Cheese – Brie, Blue, Cheddar, Gouda, Gruyere, Parmigiano… I am an equal opportunity cheese lover.
- Butternut squash
- Filet mignon – Medium rare, please.
- Grapes & cottage cheese – I know, a little weird, but it is my favorite afternoon snack.
- Peanut Butter – My technique for eating an apple with peanut butter: 1) Get a scoop of peanut butter, and slice an apple. 2) Smear a minute amount of the peanut butter on a few of the apple slices. 3) Eat the apple slices. 4) Eat the remainder of the scoop of peanut butter. Sometimes I bypass the apple altogether.
- Chocolate Banana Smoothies – since I can’t eat ice cream EVERY night.
- Pancakes – I am pretty much a pancake snob.
- Wine – Pretty much anything except white zinfandel. No, I am not a snob. I’ll drink cheap wine. Just don’t like white zin.
So tell me more about you. What are some of your likes and dislikes (food, hobbies, etc.)?