It’s gettin’ steamy in here…
and I’ve got Thai Larb Chicken Lettuce Cups for a Steamy Kitchen #SundaySupper!! Not only that, my Sunday Supper friends and I have 20 copies of Steamy Kitchen’s Healthy Asian Favorites to giveaway TONIGHT!!
Gonna be honest, when Isabel announced the event, I am probably the only member of the Sunday Supper crew who actually hadn’t heard of Jaden Hair and Steamy Kitchen. I know! Who am I?! But right around the same time as the event was announced, I saw some other bloggers sharing recipes from her new cookbook, and I saw the recipes that we could share for this event, and instantly Jaden had a new fan and follower. These recipes are totally my style – full of flavor and nutritious, real food ingredients, but without excess fat, and naturally gluten free. Just simple, good, delicious food. This is why, other than occasionally going to our local Thai restaurant, I really only eat Asian food that I cook at home.
When I received the cookbook, I was completely hooked. First, after an introduction by The Pioneer Woman herself, the first thing you see in the cookbook is a two page spread of photos of Jaden and her family. THIS is who she is cooking for. I could totally relate, as can many of us, as I cook for my family, not for my blog. The blog just comes out of the food I make for my family. Then as I dug in further, so many recipes jumped out that I want to make – Quinoa Salad with Avocado and Peas, Chicken-Mango Lettuce Cups, Cauliflower “Steaks”, Passionfruit Mimosas… Should I go on?!
If these sound as amazing to you as they do to me, you can purchase your own copy of Steamy Kitchen’s Healthy Asian Favorites Cookbook. But, wait till tomorrow to do that, because below you can find out how you can win one of 20 copies that the #SundaySupper crew is giving away. Make sure you visit all of the blogs listed at the bottom of this post to check out the amazing recipes they are sharing, and to gain another entry.
Out of the recipes we could choose to share, I was immediately drawn to these Thai Larb Chicken Lettuce Cups, since they would fit in perfect with my current gestational diabetes diet – lots of protein and veggies, low in carbs. PERFECT!
This is fun, interactive, and customizable appetizer or meal. Just cook up the chicken mixture, put it into a bowl, stack up some lettuce leaves, and make a little plate of add-ons and garnishes. I used julienned carrots for crunch, limes for a hit of acid, and some fresh herbaciousness from cilantro. Then everybody can put their lettuce cups together as they wish. And actually, since we were making it a meal, I made a little brown rice for wrapping in the cups, or just eating with the chicken, as The Bug did. Plus, it is easy to make ahead and then reheat at dinnertime. Jaden knows just how to satisfy all the the time and taste needs of a busy family!!
I just adore these Thai Larb Chicken Lettuce Cups. The Hubby and The Big did, too. Well, The Bug wouldn’t eat the lettuce, because, you know, he’ll only eat leafy greens if they are cooked, chopped, and mixed into eggs. But he was all over the chicken. The flavors are so simple and bold at the same time, with contrasts in taste, texture and temperature with the tender, salty, warm chicken, and the cool, crisp, fresh lettuce. I doubled the recipe, since it was dinner for us, and not an appetizer, and we polished it off! I can see myself making this again and again! Although I think I need to get going on some of the other recipes in the book, too!
And now for the Giveaway….
Here is how to enter to win. You must do both, #1 and #2, to have an eligible entry:
1. Tell me what your favorite Asian dish is in a comment below – AND – with your Twitter handle in the comment. Comment must be posted by 8pm Eastern time today (Sunday, March 10, 2013).
2. Join in the conversation during the live #SundaySupper chat on twitter from 7 to 8pm Eastern Time today (Sunday, March 10, 2013). Your tweet(s) must contain the #SundaySupper hashtag.
The winner will be chosen randomly from the eligible entries. The winner will be notified via email. Note: Giveaway open for United States residents only. Contest ends on Sunday, March 10, 2013 at 8pm Eastern Time.
Join the Sunday Supper Team along with Jaden Hair this Sunday at 7pm Eastern Time on Twitter, just follow the #SundaySupper hashtag. We are giving away 20 copies of Steamy Kitchen’s Healthy Asian Favorites Cookbook. You don’t want to miss this week’s #SundaySupper Event!
What is your favorite Asian dish? (Remember, you must answer AND leave your Twitter handle AND participate in the chat in order to be eligible for the cookbook giveaway.)
- 1½ tablespoons cooking oil
- ½ pound ground chicken breast
- 2 shallots, diced
- ¼ red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, very finely minced
- Minced fresh chiles, Jalapeño or Fresno (amount up to you)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- ½ lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, leaves separated into “cups”
- 1 handful of cilantro and/or mint, cut into chiffonade
- Heat a wok or large sauté pan over high heat. When hot, swirl in 1 tablespoon of the oil and add the chicken. Use your spatula to break up the meat and spread out over the surface of the pan. Cook until browned, about 3 minutes.
- Push the ground chicken to one side of the pan and swirl in the remaining ½ tablespoon of oil. To the oil, add the shallots, red onion, garlic, and fresh chiles and sauté the aromatics until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the fish sauce, lime juice, and soy sauce.
- Serve with lettuce cups and herbs.
Here is the list of #SundaySupper Contributors who will be giving away a copy of Steamy Kitchen’s Healthy Asian Favorites Cookbook and the recipes they will be sharing:
Tofu-Mushroom Miso Soup
Crispy Rice Patties
Thai Larb Lettuce Chicken Cups
Sake Steamed Mussels
Salmon Honey Teriyaki
Korean Beef Bites
We are sharing more Steamy Kitchen inspired recipes. The following Sunday Supper Contributors are joining us with some of their favorite recipes from the Steamy Kitchen website:
- Kung Pao Chicken by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Prime Rib Roast with Miso au jus by The Urban Mrs.
- Kickin’ Tequila Shrimp by Gourmet Drizzles
- Korean Beef Rice Bowl by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Pan Fried Shrimp and Pork Fried Potstickers by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Shrimp Curry by Ninja Baking
Disclosure: I was provided with a copy of Steamy Kitchen’s healthy asian favorites for my review. All opinions are my own.