If you are like me, and you like a little bit of coffee with your cup of sweet, creamy, chocolaty goodness (as opposed to a “real” cuppa joe), or you are stuck in the polar vortex and want something to warm you up inside and out, you’ll love wrapping your hands around a steamy mug of Homemade Mexican Mocha Hot Chocolate. And the best part is, by using your preferred ingredients, you can keep the calories, sugar, caffeine, and carbs in check, or make it just as rich and indulgent as you like!
Homemade Mexican Mocha Hot Chocolate
Remember back just before Halloween I made some Monster Brownie Cookies for Becca’s Halloween Wedding? Well guess what – she has another big milestone to celebrate. Becca turns 50 today! I am so excited to be part of a weeklong party to celebrate the occasion. When I was thinking of what to make for Becca, I thought about her #FitBy50 goals to get into better shape, eat better, and exercise more regularly. While some stumbling blocks came up including injury and illness, Becca is making great progress. But I also thought about her love of chocolate and her regular get-togethers with a friend at Starbucks, and though I would make her a decadent coffee-ish drink to keep her warm during this cold Wisconsin winter. And by adjusting the ingredients as you so choose (almond milk, Stevia, etc.), this is a decadent beverage that does NOT pack the calorie count of an ice cream sundae.
I say “coffee-ish” because I’m not the biggest coffee lover in the world, so this is kind of a half and half hot cocoa and coffee – a cocoa-latte, if you will. Sure I could have just made a hot cocoa, but I do think that the coffee enhances the chocolate flavor. The chocolate comes from cocoa powder, so you get all the goodness with only a few calories. Sometimes I switch it up between regular cocoa powder, dark cocoa, or half and half. Then add some of my Mexican Chocolate Spice Mix, and you’ve got just a bit of a kick to warm you up and rev your metabolism!
I’m so happy to share this comforting cuppa virtually, but hopefully one day Becca and I can meet in person. In the meantime, I’ll combine these two mugs into one, and toast to her 50th birthday!
What would you like to have a friend make for you as a birthday treat?
- 1 cup milk of choice (I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder (regular, dark, or a combination)
- sweetener of choice, to taste (I use a sugar/Stevia blend)
- ½ tsp Mexican Chocolate Spice Mix
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- Whisk together the milk, cocoa powder, sweetener, and Mexican Chocolate Spice Mix and heat to bubbling in the microwave (1½-2½ minutes) or in a pot on the stove.
- If you have some sort of frothing device, froth it up to make some nice foam.
- Combine the milk mixture and coffee and pour into one or two mugs.
What else would I make Becca for her birthday?
- Romaine “Wedge” with Hot Maple Bacon Dressing (she LOVES bacon)
- Banilla Nutella Frozen Yogurt Bars (she LOVES Dilly Bars from Dairy Queen, and this is as close as I’ve got)
- Strawberries & Cream Cake (well, everyone needs cake)
And here are some more warm cups of goodness from my friends!
- Masala Chai from Masala Herb
- White Hot Chocolate from Love and Olive Oil
- Eggnog Hot Chocolate from Peanut Butter & Peppers